August 17, 2013: A Forgotten New York Tour of Bay Ridge
A pre-tour discovery was this monument at the Fort Hamilton Triangle...
dedicated to those of Fort Hamilton who served and died in "the" World War.
The Verrazanno Bridge looms over the neighborhood. Strictly speaking, Fort Hamilton is part of Bay Ridge.
As the troops gather, Kevin reminisces about his Bay Ridge childhood.
The original St. Patrick's RC Church was founded by Irish immigrants in 1849.
On 97th Street, the original area two-story building skyline is juxtaposed with the later apartment houses.
Buildng the approaches for the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge resulted in the demolition of many homes and the displacement of thousands of people.
This park was renamed for city functionary John J. Carty in 1971.
NYC P&R marker.
A survivor: salt-box style house at Fort Hamilton Parkway and Marine Avenue.
Along Fort Hamilton Parkway, one of the oldest roads in Brooklyn.
St. John's Episcopal Church. Col. Robert E. Lee and Lt. Thomas J. Jackson worshiped at the original church on this site during their tours of duty at Fort Hamilton.
Church marker, with a few familiar names.
The bell from the original church.
Robert E. Lee planted a tree on this site...
as this marker relates...
but it had to be replaced.
Fort Hamilton, now the only active US Army base in NYC. Captain Robert E. Lee served as Fort Hamilton's post engineer from 1841 to 1846. Lieutenant Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson also served at Fort Hamilton and Captain Abner Doubleday served as the post commander in 1861.
Some claim this street is named for the general.
John Paul Jones Park, named for the Revolutionary War naval hero.
A section of Verrazanno-Narrows bridge cable.
The John Latorte Memorial Garden.
The discoverer rediscovered.
The Brooklyn anchorage of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. John Travolta notwithstanding, no one is entombed here.
Approaching the Dover Patrol Monument.
Dover Patrol Monument.
A British thank you for our efforts in "the" World War.
The Dover Patrol's task was to prevent German shipping from entering the English Channel en route to the Atlantic Ocean.
The Revolutionary War memorial.
The DAR remembers the first contact with British forces during the Battle of Brooklyn.
The Civil War Memorial, a 20" Rodman gun.
Its' shells supply the alternative name of "Cannonball Park".
The elevation ratchet is missing.
Production information around the muzzle. Only 3 of these guns were manufactured.
A 200 pound charge could propel one of these shells over 8000 yards.
Giving scale to the piece.
The traditional Forgotten NY Tour photo
History is where you find it - a 1931 Ford.
Panorama - leaving the park.
Along the ridge in Bay Ridge on Shore Road. Until the construction of the Belt Parkway, the shore began where the ridge dropped off of the left.
A remnant of the Shore Road mansions, once a gift to Lillian Russell from Diamond Jim Brady; now Fontbonne Hall Academy.
On 95th Street, the Greek Revival James S. Farrell house... (AIA Guide, 5th Edition)
an Art Deco apartment building...
and a Queen Anne cottage.
Back on Shore Road, ornamentation on the iron fence. The fence dates back to the Belt Parkway construction.
Near Narrows Avenue, a Mission-style mansion...
and an older, classy housing development, Colonial Gardens.
Part of an interesting complex on Shore Road.
Fort Hamilton High School.
Built on the grounds of the former Cresent Sports Club, its early association with tennis evolved into the Davis Cup.
The most beautiful house in Brooklyn (according to Kevin), or something out of Middle Earth: The Howard E. and Jessie Jones House aka The Gingerbread House. (AIA Guide, 5th Edition)
At Old Glory Lookout, Freedom Trees...
and missing marker...
and Dewey homecoming marker.
To the prominade, the last ornamented footbridge built by Robert Moses in NYC.
Looking towards The Narrows and the Lower Bay beyond.
The Upper Bay and the Harbor.
The 69th Street Ferry to Staten Island used to leave from this site.
NYC P&R marker for its newer replacement.
The Brooklyn 9/11 Memorial: an old-fashioned speaking trumpet whose top lights at night.
At MacKay Place and Narrows Road, the smallest cemetery in Brooklyn: the Barkuloo family plot.
Barkuloo family marker.
Simon Cortelyou, Revolutionary War.
Lt. Hermanus Barkuloo, Revolutionary War.
The entry to Owl's Head park, once the estate of Eliphalet W. Bliss.
A view of the harbor.
Heading to the subway, two types of cobblestones at Bay Ridge Place.
Originally the New Utrecht N.Y. Exempt Fireman's Association. The left side of the building is a later addition. The original building was symmetric around the entry, and has badges for all the local volunteer fire companies. (AIA Guide, 5th Edition)
The crest above the entry.
Liberty H&L 1
Neptune Engine 2
Old Jackson H&L 4
Blythebourne Engine 5
Hamilton Engine 1
Neosho H&L 1
Bay Ridge Engine 1
As the tour ends, a reminder of the once-large Scandinavian population.