The donor. 1990 Legacy, broken auto transmission, 138000 miles.
The carnage after a few hours of work on the interior. The goal of this is to get all of the wiring for the ECM (engine control module), which connects to the 4 yellow plugs visible on the left.
I'm glad I don't have to put any of this back together
A bunch of the engine wiring is routed behind the front fender, so it has to come off. My brother Steve helping out.
The lower engine-to-transmission nuts are, umm, awkward. This was the easier one.
Oops. Our BP moment. There's alot more ATF in that transmission than we realized.
The technique I finally came up with to undo the 4 flexplate to torque converter bolts, which are reached through a small access port on the back of the engine, rotating the engine to get each one. What a PITA. The bolt heads are not very thick, so the wrench kept popping off until I got the idea to jam a screwdriver in there to keep the wrench on while I reefed on it.
Ready to yank the engine out
Here it comes. Note the A/C compressor on the right, I was able to detach it from the engine and move it out of the way without discharging the A/C system.
Got the wiring harness out. Don't need most of that, but I'll have to pull it all apart to find the wires I do need.
OK, cut the blue wire... no, the green one... no wait...
Front of the EJ22 with the timing belt covers off. I'll put on a new belt, idler pulleys and water pump. But first I want to take off the camshaft sprockets (still trying to figure out how to do that without the special tool) and rear timing covers to get at the cam seals, which may be the source of some of the copious leaked oil.
Rear of the engine. A little leakage from the service hole cover on the left, and maybe somewhat more from the oil separator cover on the right. New O-ring and sealant for those. Rear main seal looks OK, not sure if I want to try replacing it. Looks like most of the oil there blew in from somewhere else.
Method I finally came up with to remove cam sprocket bolts, using a strap wrench. And every bit of muscle I had.
Valve cover off to replace gasket. I was shocked at how clean the inside of the engine is, not a speck of crud visible.
Decided to go ahead and replace rear main seal. Using a piece of PVC pipe to seat it.
New o-ring for rear service hole cover, a.k.a. wrist pin hole
New water pump and thermostat
Bottom of engine with oil pan off for replacement. Some crud visible in there, not as clean as under valve covers.
New timing belt and shiny new belt idler pulleys installed
EA82 1.8L engine coming out of the Loyale
Out it comes after 221,000 miles of faithful service. I should have played taps or something.
Back of the engine after removal. That's the pressure plate, which is bolted to the flywheel, with the clutch disc sandwiched between them. I'd never seen this stuff before, so I thought it was interesting.
View of the flywheel after removing the pressure plate and clutch disc. Note the asymmetrical bolt pattern which ensures the ignition timing marks on the flywheel are in the right place. EJ engines are fully electronically controlled and have no need for timing marks, so their flywheel bolt pattern is symmetrical. The holes on this flywheel have to be redrilled to bolt it up to the EJ engine.
Looking a bit skeletal. Both fenders are coming off, one is rusted and being replaced, engine wiring is behind the other. Bumper has to come off to get the fenders off. Took out headlights while I was trying to figure out how to get bumper off.
Replaced coolant crossover pipe o-rings. Intake manifold has to come off to get at them, easier to do with the engine out.
Engine adapter plate attached. I went a little overboard and painted it red. Flywheel redrilling and adapter plate by sjrlift.com in Bellingham.
EJ22 going in