Timbered Shops, Sydenham Road, Sydenham, 1960. This wooden terrace was known as Covell's Cottages after the butcher who occupied one of them, c.1830 to 1868.
Thomas Campion's shoe shop, Forest Hill, c. 1897.
The Nylon Stall, Deptford Market, 1962.
E.C. Christmas, builder, Forest Hill, c 1897. E.C.Christmas did not set up his own business in this converted and expanded cottage in 55 Dartmouth Road, until c.1890.
Vicar's Hill Dairy, Algernon Road, Ladywell, c. 1910. A dairy was established at No.1 when the block called The Pavement was built in 1899, and James Haydon was the proprietor from at least 1910 to 1923. It later became No. 218 Algernon Road. Milk was ladled into the individual cans at the customer's door.
Shops at Tanners Hill, Deptford, 1926
The London and Provincial Bank, Tranquil Vale, c 1879. The North Kent Bank was founded by local men, using local capital, in 1864 and prospered until the manager absconded with more than £20,000 in 1878. The business was transferred to the London & Provincial Bank which, in 1917, merged with the South Western and in 1921 became a part of Barclays Bank. The bank was rebuilt in its present in 1888-1889.
G. Stroud, drapers, Lewisham High Street, c. 1890. During the latter part of the 19th century Lewisham developed into a major shopping centre serving both its new population and the surrounding districts. The two principal businesses, both drapers, were Chiesman's and George Stroud.
Owen's Butchers shop, Lewisham High Street, c. 1840
Ladbrook's Greengrocer, Lewisham High Street. This ancient weatherboard shop was no.120, later renumbered as 168, High Street. It continued to be used as a grocer into the 1920s, though in rebuilt premises. This redevelopment fell foul of the wartime bombing and the later, ruthless commercial rebuilding that followed
The Pavement, 1887
Lewisham Market, 1903
James Collingwood, Draper, Lewisham High St, Lewisham, c. 1901. James Collingwood, along with Chiesmans and Strouds, was one of the leading retailers in Lewisham in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Collingwood continued his trade until the late 1920s when the site was occupied by Marks and Spencer.
Patch's Grocery Shop, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, c. 1860. Robert Patch was a long-established grocer in Lewisham High Street at the corner of Hither Green Lane. The building was the victim of the same wartime bombing that damaged the neighbouring Congregational Church. The site is now occupied by the Ladywell Leisure Centre.
Pyne Brothers, Lewisham Way, Deptford, 1891. Lewisham High Road, now Lewisham Way, was in the later part of the 19th century a thriving shopping street. Its centrepieces were Deptford Library and Pyne's general drapers, which stood opposite each other. Pyne's premises were rebuilt in the 1930s.
Lewisham Way, 1987
Livestock Corner at Rushey Green, c. 1948
Rushey Green, Catford, c. 1900
Alders Drapers, Rushey Green, Catford, Lewisham, c. 1927.
Flagon Row, Wellington Street, deptford. This shows the south side of Flagon Row (later renamed Wellington Street), and what remains of it now as McMillan Street. The view looks west towards Deptford High Street. Flagon Row was at the heart of the ancient town of Deptford with its nucleus around the nearby St Nicholas' Church. The houses were demolished in 1896 to make way for an extension of Creek Road east to the end of Evelyn Street
R. Trickett's shop, High Street, Deptford, c. 1850. Until the mid 19th century Deptford's principal shopping streets were Deptford Broadway and Church Street, but the High Street gradually took over as the main commercial site and is still a vibrant shopping street.
New Cross Road, New Cross. This terrace of houses with later shop additions was on the north side of New Cross Road, between Clifton Rise and Pagnall Street. The houses date from the mid 19th century. The site was redeveloped after World War II.
Hally's Nursery, Blackheath, c. 1900 reproduction from 1852 advert. Hally's (horticultural) Nursery occupied a central site in Blackheath Village on the east side of Tranquil Vale. The site has its origin as a private nursery of the Wricklemarsh Estate, but from 1795 to 1860 it was run as a commercial enterprise.
Tanner's Hill, showing the shop houses. Pen and ink by Geoffrey Fletcher, 1965.
Lee Bridge House, c. 1870. Pen and ink by John R. Llwyd Roberts, from a photograph.
Deptford High Street, Deptford, 1922. These houses (nos. 50 - 32 Deptford High Street) were built near the southern end of the road between 1775 and 1792. The nearer two houses, which were the oldest, have now been demolished. All were intended as private dwellings for skilled workmen, and some would undoubtedly have been occupied by shipwrights. Commercial uses took over in the mid 19th century, helping to produce the High Street with "almost as many styles of building as houses, the only agreement being that all have shop fronts".
Blackheath Village. Ink and wash by John R. Llwyd Roberts, from a photograph.
Deptford Bridge, called Deptford Broadway, c. 1923.
Tanners Hill, Deptford, c. 1922.
Deptford High Street, from the Broadway, c. 1922.
Junction of Broadway and Church Street, Deptford, 1930
Tanners Hill, Deptford, 1894
Blackheath Art Supplies, 8 Royal Parade. Oil by T. Carr, 1982.
The Marks & Spencer department store at 122-126 Lewisham High Street. Opened in 1929, the building was destroyed by a V1 flying bomb in 1944.
Staff outside J. Sainsbury's, Lewisham High Street, c. 1915. Sites for Sainsbury's stores were carefully chosen, with a central position in a parade selected in preference to a corner shop.
G.A. Harvey & Co., 1907. The old zinc shop at Lewisham
Advert from the 1949 Deptford town guide for Clements, specialists in all kinds of travel goods.
J.T Allder's old building at 100-104 Rushey Green, c. 1927.
J.T. Allder's, Catford
J.T. Allder's Furnishing shop, 120 Rushey Green
John Collins Chandler's shop, 53 Addey Street, Deptford
London and South Western Bank, Lee Green
119 Dptford High Street, c. 1910
G.Chapman's Oil & Colour shop, 34 Deptford High Street
Robert Morley and sons, 63 Lee High Street
W.P. Cooper, corner of Crathorne Street and Lewisham Bridge, c. 1964
Advert from the 1948 Lewisham town guide for Groom and Fyson's beverages