Brockley railway station, c. 1880. The London and Croydon (later London, Brighton and South Croydon) Railway opened in 1839, but Brockley Station was not built until 1871, when the area was considered ripe for development.
Bellingham railway station. Bellingham Station, on the Nunhead and Shortlands Railway, opened in 1892. At the time it was in open country, but would have served the nearby community of Southend. Its existence meant that the LCC would build the Bellingham Estate knowing that residents who worked in inner or central London would have transport to work. In the background is the Fellowship Inn, taken on 21st August 2001.
Lee Station, Lee, c. 1950. The opening of Lee Station in 1866 made it possible for employees in Central London to move out to Lee and travel to work by train. This encouraged development in the area, particularly after the line to Deptford was electrified in 1926. Shown here is a Ramsgate Express.
Entrance to Deptford Station on Deptford High Street, 1968
The Croydon Railway near the Dartford Arms, Sydenham. 1830
Ladywell Station, Ladywell, Lewisham, c. 1880. Ladywell Station on the Mid Kent Railway line from Lewisham via Lower Sydenham to Beckenham (now Beckenham Junction) opened in 1857. The station gradually developed a commuter traffic to London, though the surrounding area was not built up until the turn of the century.
Forest Hill station
Rail staff at Catford Station
Lewisham Station, Lewisham, c. 1890. The original Lewisham Station was built in 1849 when the North Kent Line opened. It was moved to its present location in 1857 to serve the Mid Kent Line (to Hayes). The dozen staff seen here are standing on the North Kent Line platform.
St Johns Station
New Cross Station, 1839
Fire at the Dover Railway Station, New Cross. The works beside the station caught fire in October 1844 just as Louis Philippe was arriving to catch his train after a visit to Queen Victoria. Published in the Illustrated London News, 1844
Ruins of the railway station, New Cross after the fire
Mill Road, called "Mill Lane". View taking in the railway bridge, 1958.
Blackheath Hill Station, c. 1925. The station closed in 1917
Croydon Railroad from the bridge at New Cross