Loampit Hill Brickworks, Lewisham, c. 1820. Brick making was one of Lewisham's few industries before 1900. The kilns established along Loampit Hill from the late eighteenth century gave employment to some of the growing working class population of the village, and provided materials for the 19th century building boom. This is probably George Faulkner's brick and tile kiln, which stood in what is now the Shell/Fossil Road area.
Vicar's Hill Pottery, Vicar's Hill, Brockley, c. 1855. Vicar's Hill Pottery, also known as Falkner's tile kiln. The clay in much of Brockley was suitable for brick and tile making, and in most cases was excavated before the area was built on.
South Suburban Gas Works, Lower Sydenham
Brickmaking, Blythe Hill Fields, Brockley, c. 1890. Much of the earth in the Brockley area was suitable for brick and tile making, and was nearly all excavated before the ground was built. The headquarters of Job Heath's brickmaking business was at his home in Holdenby Road, but the bricks were made on the spot where the brick earth was dug, in this case Blythe Hill Fields.
J. W. Heath & Son, Chudleigh Road, Ladywell, Lewisham, 1894. Workmen at the brickworks preparing the brick pile for firing. Behind the brick barrows can be seen the gap for the slag and to the extreme left can be seen the bricks drying in the fields.
Advert from the 1948 Lewisham town guide for Robertson's preserves - a local firm
Mill at Lewisham Bridge
Faulkner's Brick Kiln, Brookbank Road, Lewisham, c. 1810. Faulkner's Brick Kiln was at the east end of the modern Brookbank Road. Brick earth excavations have left steep and, sometimes, high banks in nearby streets. The windmill in the background was in Lucas Street, the square towered church is St Nicholas, Deptford, and the twin domes of the Naval Hospital (now part of the University of Greenwich) are seen on the right.
Boilermaker at work in a factory in Hughes Fields, Deptford
Brickmakers in Brockley, c. 1890
South Metropolitan Electric Light and Power Company. The offices of the South Metropolitan Electric Light and Power Company on Lewisham High Street. Before the nationalisation of electricity supply in the late 1940s, the South Metropolitan was the biggest supplier in south London.
Advert from the 1948 Deptford town guide
Forest Hill Brewery Co. Ltd, c. 1905
Woman workers using cigarette packing machinery made by Molins, c. 1920
Women workers using a cigarette packing machine made by Molins, c. 1920. This cigarette packing machinery was the fastest at the time with an output of 350 000 cigarettes per day.
Interior of King and Sons, Lewisham
Women working at the King's biscuit factory, Lewisham.
Brickmaking at Crofton Park Brickfields, c. 1890
Advert from the 1948 Lewisham town guide for Groom and Fyson's beverages, made in Lee
J.W. Heath & Sons, Chudleigh Road, c. 1890
Lewisham Silk Mills
London Fabric Printing Company, Deptford. Photograph of the firm's stand at the Chicago Exhibition.
Workroom at the London Fabric Printing Co, Lower Road, Deptford
The Century Works, Lewisham, now occupied by Tesco's
London Fabric Printing Co, Deptford
Advert from the 1948 Lewisham town guide for Chiltonian Biscuits, made in Lee
The Chiltonian Biscuit Factory, Manor Lane, September 1962
Coca Cola plant, Loampit Vale, 1974
Frederick Braby and Co, IDA works, Grinstead Road, c1937
Molins staff group, c1920
The old pottery and lime kiln, Deptford. From a watercolour, c1841