Open air baths at Bellingham. The Open Air Swimming Pool was the first authority amenity provided for the Bellingham Estate. It opened in 1922 and closed in the 1980s.
Ladywell recreation ground. Ladywell Fields, formerly called Ladywell Recreation Ground, was purchased for a public open space in 1889, to serve the growing population of Lewisham and Catford. The land had been water-meadows, and much work on flood prevention had to be done before the park could be opened to the public. Six of these rustic bridges were built across the Ravensbourne to link the two sides of the park.
Downham Pool. The London County Council built its vast Downham Estate in the 1920s, but, with the exception of schools, few welfare and leisure facilities were in place when the new residents moved in. Lewisham Borough Council's swimming pool and the adjacent public library built in the late 1930s were typical examples.
Golfing on Blackheath, c. 1900. The Blackheath Golf Club (formally Royal after 1901, but the epithet was assumed much earlier) was heard of from 1784. Blackheath was a suitable site being well drained and populated by expatriate Scots. Like many other organisations the Royal Blackheath Golf Club has become dislocated from its geographical roots as its headquarters and course are now at Eltham.
Private Banks Cricket Club Pavilion, Catford, 1876
Blackheath Concert Hall. As a thriving prosperous middle-class suburb, Blackheath developed and generated sophisticated educational and cultural facilities. The Literary Institute of 1845 predated its municipal and fine arts counterparts by 50 years. The Blackheath Concert hall and the Art School respectively date from 1895 to1896. and both were designed by Edemson and Gabriel. Along with other conservatoires of music, all were the efforts of William Webster. The concert hall sat over 1200 people. It has been the venue for recitals and recordings by many international artists.
Blackheath Concert Hall and Conservatoire
The rustic bridge in Ladywell Recreation Ground, c. 1897
Advert from the 1949 Deptford town guide for greyhound racing at New Cross Stadium
Aerial view of Catford Stadium
Catford Cycling Club, racing c. 1899
Bromley Road Pool
Charabanc outing from Deptford Co-op, c. 1920
Deptford Public Baths
The Jack in the Green celebration in Deptford, c. 1910. From the Thankfull Sturdee Collection.
Forest Hill Lawn Tennis and Swimming Club, c. 1948
Advert from the 1948 Lewisham town guide for Forest Hill Lawn Tennis and Swimming Club
Lewisham Horse Show, 1901. Awarded first prize.
Festivities at Ladywell Fields, 1974.
Sheepdog Trials at Ladywell Fields, 1974
Start of the 80 yards Flat Race, Ladies 14-16, at Ladywell Track during the Jubilee Celebrations, 23rd September 1950.
The Pavilion and spectators at the Ladywell Track Jubilee Celebrations, 23rd September 1950.
The rustic bridge and waterfall at Ladywell Recreation Ground.
The rustic bridge over the River Ravensbourne in Ladywell Fields.
Advert from the 1948 Lewisham town guide for The Studio, Lewisham
Children enjoying the festival on Blackheath, 1948
The Gild Hall, Temperance Billiard Hall, Lewisham
Peter Pans Pool, Deptford
The Catford Southend Football Club Team, 1904-5
The Parish Hall and Baths, Ladywell
Pepys Road and Recreation Ground
Entrance to Bellingham Open Air Swimming Pool
Advert from the 1948 town guide for dancing classes with Miss Marjorie Barton
Telegraph Hill Park, the entrance and bandstand
Hilly Fields Recreation Ground - the bandstand
Beckenham Place, c. 1950, view of the golf course.
Ladywell Fields, c. 1901