Haberdashers' (Askes's) Hatcham's Girls School, c. 1905. The Haberdashers Company, who owned much of the land in New Cross and were developing it in the 1860s and 1870s, had surplus money in the Aske's educational charity. They founded a Grammar School for boys and this one for girls.
The Royal Naval School, New Cross, c. 1845. The Royal Naval School was a charitable institution for the sons of naval officers. This building dates from 1844. It was taken over by the Goldsmiths Technical institute and is now the main building of Goldsmiths College.
St John's School, Albyn Rd, Deptford New Town, Lewisham, c. 1910.
Brockley County Secondary School, Brockley, 1909
In 1881 the West Kent Grammar School was built at the top of Hilly Fields (not then a public open space). The School closed in 1905 and the building was bought by the London County Council for the Brockley County School which opened in 1907. This photograph shows the Headmaster, masters and pupils on the steps outside the school in 1909. Prendergast School now occupies the building.
Sandhurst Road School, Catford, Lewisham, 1904. The school was built to provide education for the children of the residents of the grid of streets enclosed by Brownhill Road, Verdant Lane and Hazelbank Road. The school was bombed at lunchtime on 20th January 1943 with the loss of 38 children and 6 teachers. Many others were injured.
Dean Stanhope's School, High Street, Deptford, c. 1840. The huge growth of Deptford in the seventeenth century made the education of the poor a vital need. Small schools were opened in Flagon Row and Deptford Green in 1680 and 1707. In 1714 George Stanhope, the vicar from 1702 to 1728, combined with other benefactors to open this school.
St Dunstan's College, Catford, c. 1905. St Dunstan's College was opened in 1888. It was one of a number of endowed (i.e. non-state) secondary schools in the area. Others were Lewisham Grammar School for Girls (Prendergasts) and Colfes.
Haberdashers' Askes' School for Boys, New Cross, c. 1910. Haberdashers' Askes' Boys' School crowns Telegraph Hill and confirms the Haberdasher's Company as responsible developers. The company, one of the city livery companies, developed their estate centred on Pepys and Jerningham Roads in the last quarter of the 19th century.
Pendragon School, Downham. Pendragon School was one of eight schools built by the London County Council to provide education for the Downham estate's residents. Unlike other welfare (and social) facilities, the London County Council ensured schools were completed in time to cater for the new children as they moved into the area.
The Warehousemen and Clerks Schools. Hatcham Grove House and the adjacent Hatcham Manor House and Manor Farm stood on the south side of Queen's Road. These properties formed the core houses of Hatcham, which was acquired by the Haberdashers Company in 1614. The buildings were demolished in the late 1860s in preparation for the development of the Hatcham Manor Estate on Telegraph Hill between 1875 and 1900.
Counter Hill Academy, Lewisham Way. Counter Hill Academy was a private school, which stood on the site of the present Goldsmiths' College. The house was built as a private home in 1789, but became a boarding school in 1792. The building shown here was demolished in the early 1840s.
Monson Road School, New Cross, c. 1900. The London School Board was established in 1870 and was charged with providing education for all of London's school age population. It set about a vigorous campaign of school building in many areas. The lack of space on which to build gave rise to high rise schools such as Monson.
Colfe's Grammar School, Lewisham Hill, c. 1892. Abraham Colfe was vicar of Lewisham from 1610 to 1657. He founded the school that takes his name in 1652 at the site at the corner of Lewisham Hill and Walerand Road. The school was rebuilt in 1889 (seen here) and moved to Horn Park Lane, in 1964. This site has been redeveloped as flats.
Proprietary School, Lee Road, Blackheath, c. 1900
Blackheath Proprietary School, Lee Road, Blackheath, 1839. The Blackheath Proprietary School was established in 1831 to provide education for the sons of Blackheath's new residents, who arrived during the expansion of the 1820s. The school was so called as it was owned by a group of 100 share holding proprietors who could send or nominate a pupil.
Blackheath Road School, typewriting class, July 1914.
Dr Robert Breton's School, Deptford Green, late 1800s.
Blackheath Road School, book-keeping class, July 1914.
LCC open air school, Birley House, London Road, Forest Hill, c. 1912.
Children at the LCC open air school, Birley House, London Road, Forest Hill, c. 1912.
LCC open air school at Birley House, London Road, Forest Hill, c. 1912.
Mr William's School, Deptford, pre 1870. From the Thankfull Sturdee Collection.
Telegraph Hill School, September 2000.
The Old Bluecoat School (Dean Stanhope's), Deptford High Street.
The Master's House at St Mary's School.
Catford School, Brownhill Road.
Ravensbourne School, Albyn Road, Deptford
Infants' Class at St Mary's School.
Blackheath School of Art
South London Technical College, c. 1948
Modelling Studio, Goldsmith's Institute. The Goldsmiths Company Technical and Recreative Institute was founded by the Company in 1891 to provide technical and liberal education in south east London. Its School of Art had a high reputation. It became Goldsmiths College in 1905, with teacher training added to its functions, and became a full College of the University of london in 1987. Its students and ex-students have formed a substantial proportion of the population of New Cross