A steam shovel excavates at the site of the Utah State Capitol on February 13, 1913. Construction began on December 12, 1912.
Excavation at the Capitol site continues in June 1913.
By May 1913, the building is beginning to rise. The architect was Richard Kletting, whose design was selected through a statewide competition.
A closer view in June 1913 shows the formwork for the "modern" reinforced concrete columns.
A railroad line brought supplies to the site.
August 1913: The concrete columns and floor are complete at the lowest level.
October 1913. Construction of the Utah State Capitol cost $2,739,538.
Construction of the reinforced concrete frame continues into the winter of 1913-14.
November 1913: Crews install wood planks to form a concrete floor and steel reinforcing for beams for columns.
November 1913: The concrete corner piers for the rotunda under construction
Steel trusses for the exterior skylight being erected over the east atrium, November 1913.
December 1913: Formwork for the concrete arches at the rotunda.
Twisted steel reinforcing bars inside a rotunda arch await concrete, December 1913.
The view from a distance in December 1913 shows the building beginning to take shape.
The open hole that will become the Capitol dome, January 1914.
The concrete rotunda arches are exposed after the wood formwork is removed, February 1914.
The cornerstone ceremony was held on April 4, 1914.
Dignitaries at the cornerstone ceremony, 1914.
Steel and reinforced concrete roof structure, April 1914.
By May 1914, the dome is half completed.
June 1914: Workers install frames for the interior glass ceiling.
July 1914: Polished marble is installed on the right-hand wall, but there is still plenty of work to be done on the interior.
July 1914: This ramp will become the stairway in the west atrium.
September 1914: The exterior stonework is nearing completion.
October 1914: Work continues on the stone cladding and terra cotta balustrade.
The framework for the glass floor in the rotunda. This "floor window" was later taken out -- but it has now been restored.
January 16, 1915: The exterior is shaping up.
January, 1915: Decorative finishes are underway in the House Chambers.
May 1915: Crews finish the main (south) portico.
The stairs in the atrium, July 1915.
The Christensen Construction Company finishing excavation at the site of the completed State Capitol in January 1916.
April 1916: The Utah State Capitol seen with the City/Creek Memory Grove area in the foreground. Now, of course, the then-bare slope has stairs, walkways, and landscaping.