MA Swampscott -- Monument Square
In 1883, a Soldier's Monument was erected in Monument Square, formerly Mudge's Square, directly in front of the Mudge estate, the land being given to the town for that purpose by the Mudge heirs. The monument is of granite, with bronze trimmings & bronze tablets. Its height is 30' from the ground, with a base 6'10" square. The 4 dies or tablets are 3'6" square (bronze). The front tablet, facing the Mudge estate, contains the inscriptions; on the opposite side is the date of erection; on the 2 other sides are the names of the 14 soldiers to whose memory the monument is erected. On the 1st section of the shaft are 4 bronze bas-reliefs -- on the front the U.S. coat of arms; on the opposite side a soldier & sailor; on the right a representation of cavalry, & on the left a representation of artillery. Above this is a bronze wreath. The shaft is square, with a plain, pointed top. The monument, which cost $2943.10, was dedicated in 1883.
Jun 6, 2009