3. Far left/2nd row Betty Bollinger Levy, behind her Pat Waterhouse; seated, Caroline Tartt; standing far right, Mark Levy. Also in picture are Roscoe Jones (in cap), Richard Porter, and Shirley Patterson. Kay Ray (front row center). Meridian, MS. 7/64
180. Bob Moses at Oxford, OH, June 1964 orientation session.
Bob Moses in front in white shirt and overalls.
181 -- Staughton Lynd, 1964 MS Freedom School Coordinator, at teacher training and orientation session in Oxford, OH, -- June 1964. Not my photo, by Herbert Randall. Copy of copy
7.LtoR around circle: John Doar, UK, Barney Frank, UK, Peter Rabinowitz, Steve Schrader's back, UK. Oxford
9. UK, UK, James Forman. Oxford, OH Orientation 6/64
14.LtoR: Ronnie DeSouza, Betty Bollinger Levy, Mark Levy. Oxford, OH. Orientation Week 2 June 1964
15. Meridian Baptist Seminary -- 1964 Freedom School
16. Meridian Freedom School
17. Betty Bollinger Levy, front left.
A. COFO Freedom School Registration, Meridian: First day of classes Monday, July 6, 1964.
B. Sample class and attendance chart. Meridian Freedom School.
E. Meridan Freedom School Teacher List -- From Ohio orientation -- 2nd week, June 1964. UFT additions added later.
160 -- Roscoe Jones
21. (Front Row: L. to R.) UK, Patricia Edison (?) in checkered shirt, Ronnie DeSouza center, Brenda Clayton, UK.
22. (Front L. to R.) UK, UK, David Kotz (tall teacher standing on right.)
181. Abe Sayer.
24. Gail Falk,teaching. Front
25. Patricia James, center right.
26. Far right is Ralph Darden. Second from right is Carol Tureaud.
27. Marilyn Leonard, COFO volunteer
28. Gwen Thompson and Susan Schrader
29. Top left, Dorothy Gathright. James E. Sims, (i.e., probably not Robert Trotter) (middle). Far right, Sadie Clark.
154. (L. to R.) Joe Morse, Rosalyn Waterhouse, Ronnie deSouza
30. Ben Chaney, with sling
31. UK, Lelia Jean Waterhouse
36-b. Sharon Scott
34. Pat Thompson on Phil Corner's back with Dorothy Thompson on side.
36. Sharon Scott on left, UK.
37. (L. to R.) Robert Wallace (or Kenny Chaney?) on left , UK, Larry Martin
39. Dorothy Thompson (L) and Diane Pachella (R)
40. Major Gaddis (?)
41. Patricia James
62. Ben Chaney (C) with sling, Steve Schrader with guitar (R)
43. Ben Chaney (L) and Larry Martin (R)
44. (L. to R.) UK, Alfred Wright (in white shirt), UK, UK
45. Pat Thompson
46. (L. to R.) Front: Lelia Waterhouse (with glasses), Roscoe Jones, Caroline Tartt, Mark Levy
47.Standing Rosalyn Waterhouse
49. L to R: Lou Smith (CORE), Betty Bollinger Levy, Bob Gore (CORE)
50. (L. to R.) Front Row: Betty Bollinger Levy, Lance Williams, Larry Martin, UK, Freeman Cocroft, UK, UK, UK, Donna Garde. Next row back, UK, UK, ?__ Thompson, Sue Schrader, ? __ Thompson, Luke Kabat, Gail Falk. Third Row, in front of guys in suits (Delta Ministry, NCC?): Ronnie DeSouza, Preston Ponder. (That's a fan in Larry Martin's lap. It was August. This was a necessary part of these meetings.)
52-A.. Betty Bollinger Levy (L) sharing folk dances.
53. Lelia Jean Waterhouse (L) holding QC notebook and Sharon Scott (R)
Johnny R. Sims, curious about the camera.
55. Diane Pachella (L), UK
56. UK (L), Mrs. Polly Heidelberg (R)
58. Roscoe Jones
59. Pat Thompson
60. Mrs. Polly Heidelberg
63. (L) Ralph Darden at organ, Gail Falk standing in back, (R) Johnny R. Sims.
182. L to R, Lenora Thurman, Elinor Tideman, Sue Miller (AP PHOTO)
183. Robert Gore (right)
64. Gail Falk (standing far Left). Center seated, Lelia Waterhouse, Liz Fusco. Phil Corner (standing, far Right)
66. Right side -- Phil Corner and Gail Falk
67. Betty Bollinger Levy -- in front of class
68. Luke Kabat on right, rear.
69. Sadie Clark, third back. Elinor Tideman in the back left.
70. Ralph Darden in silhouette on left. (#72 -- Duplicate)
161. "Far left, Larry Martin, Richard Wallace, Lance Williams, center girl unknown two girls on right end, Thompson girl, my sister Linda Martin, right behind them, second rows left, Lenray Gandy, I am directly behind my brother Larry." This digital image of the original was given to ML by Lenray Gandy from his personal collection. The photo was taken, as he wrote, by: "the only black photographer that we had in town, Mr. Robert Williams. He was the one who also started the Memo Digest, a black newspaper in Meridian." "Let Freeman Go!" was the chant of this "kids own protest" as they marched toward the police station to demand the release of Freeman Cocoroft. (This event happened after the summer, in late '64 or in '65)
73. UK, UK, Gerald Williams at the right. (Duplicate of former #65)
75. Mrs. Polly Heidelberg and Preston Ponder
77. Ronnie de Souza and Betty Bollinger Levy at Meridian home BBQ
182. MFDP Lauderdale County Precinct Meeting, Meridian MS.
79. MFDP Lauderdale County Meeting at First Union Baptist Church, Meridian.
80. MFDP Lauderdale County Meeting at First Union Baptist Church, Meridian.
81. MFDP Lauderdale County Meeting at First Union Baptist Church, Meridian.
155. MFDP Lauderdale County Meeting at First Union Baptist Church, Meridian.
83. Gail Falk, George Smith, Preston Ponder, Richard Swanson, Sam Brown, UK, Peter Rabinowitz
84. (L. to R.) Roscoe Jones, Lelia Waterhouse, Barbara Chaney
85. Edna Graham.
86. (L. to R.) Meridian's Dorothy Pringle with glasses and watch, Edna Graham, Dorothy Gathright with glasses, and Patricia James in Jackson at planning meeting.
87. On right, Edna Graham
88. Blond on left, Sandra Addickes, UFT. Right, Roscoe Jones,
89. Blond on left, Sandra Addickes, UFT. On right, Lelia Waterhouse,
91. Edna Graham, second from right
93. Roscoe Jones on left. Ben Chaney, center foreground.
94. Edna Graham, with wristwatch, left center.
156. Registration table at COFO's Statewide Freedom School Convention, Meridian Aug. 1964, (L. to R. At table on right, Bernice Sims.)
96. Rev. R. S. Porter, Sr. - Pastor of First Union Baptist Church. Welcome to Statewide Freedom School Convention in Meridian,
97. A. Phillip Randolph -- Statewide Freedom School Convention in Meridian
99. Liz Fusco (Aaraonsohn), with long braid.
20a. (cropped) (L. to R.) UK, Major Gaddy with hat and suspenders. Bernice Sims and Artie Sims.
101. Play by Freedom School students from Holly Springs,
103. Roscoe Jones
104. Ben Chaney, center
108. Phil Corner (C)
105. Free Southern Theater in Meridian performing "In White America" by M. Duberman
107. Free Southern Theater in Meridian performing "In White America" by M. Duberman
116. LtoR -- Richard Swanson, Lelia Jean Waterhouse and Pete Seeger.
115. L to R: Victor Rabinowitz, Peter Rabinowitz, Pete Seeger
110-B. Pete Seeger
110-C Pete Seeger
110-D Pete Seeger
110-A. Pete Seeger singing
109. To the right of Pete Seeger's back, Gwen Clark in checked dress, then Artie Sims. Behind Clark are Richard Swanson, Elinor Tideman, Andy Schiffrin, Sue Schrader. Sam Brown, tall in white shirt with sun glasses. In front of Brown are Johnny R. Sims and Patti Miller. Far right front with glasses, Clare __, RN (a volunteer nurse).
121. (L. to R.) Ronnie DeSouza, Preston Ponder, UK, Roscoe Jones. (Probably after Seeger's announcemnt.)
111. (L. to R.) Front Row -- Johnny R. Sims, Patti Miller. Clare __ RN?, Blond gentleman is Jeff Powers (WFP). Charles "Charlie" Smith (WFP) . Nelson Blackstock (WFP). Woman after him is Margy Henderson (WFP). Behind on left is Sam Jones (white shirt and sun glasses). This seems to be the time when people are hearing (from PeteSeeger) about the bodies of the three, Meridian civil rights workers finally being found in Neshoba County.
112. Front (L. to R.) Johnny R. Sims, Patti Miller. Clare __ RN?, Jeff Powers (WFP). Charles "Charlie" Smith (WFP) . Nelson Blackstock (WFP). Behind Sims and Miller can be seen Sam Brown, Andy Schiffrin, Sue Schrader, and Elinor Tideman. This seems to be the time when people are hearing (from PeteSeeger) about the bodies of the three, Meridian civil rights workers finally being found in Neshoba County
114. Front left, Joe Morse.
184. Larry Martin far right, next seated in Johnny Sims
117. Front center. Lelia Waterhouse. Probably before the concert started.
118. Sue Schrader, center left with pigtail. Thompson girls on either side. Linda Martin in front looking left.
Two rows back: Phil Corner, right in striped shirt.
119. (L. to R., front) Gwen Clark and Artie Sims
120. Johnny R. Sims and Patti Miller. Donna Garde at end of row.
122. Johnny R. Sims, Patti Miller
123. Lelia Jean Waterhouse, center
124. Bob Moses -- Statewide Freedom School Convention in Meridian
181. Bob Moses at the Statewide Freedom School Convention -- August 1964, Meridian MS
125. Roscoe Jones, Meridian (L) and Joyce Brown, McComb (R): Mississippi Student Union 1964 officers at Freedom School Statewide Convention, August 1964
128. Statewide Freedom School Convention: Looks like Major Gaddis in the second row with suspenders
129. Roscoe Jones (note ML's wash-tub bass on floor (R)
131. Jim Forman -- Statewide Freedom School Convention in Meridian
164. Mrs. Polly Heidelberg (L) and Rev. R.S. Porter, Sr. (R) at Statewide Freedom School Convention -- Meridian, Aug. 1964
130. L to R: Staugton Lynd, UK
132-A. Staughton Lynd -- Statewide Freedom School Convention in Meridian
133. Staughton Lynd, white shirt.
132-B LtoR -- Ralph Featherstone, UK, Staughton Lynd, UK
134. Staughton Lynd, Statewide Freedom School Director -- Freedom School Convention in Meridian
135. UK (left), Jim Forman (center), and A. Phillip Randolph (right)
136. (Right foreground) Betty Bollinger Levy. Luke Kabat in dark jacket with white collar in background. Peter Rabinowintz in between. At Memorial Service in Neshoba County at burned Mt. Zion Church after three bodies of murdered civil rights workers were found. 7/64.
137. (L. to R.) Luke Kabat and Richard Henderson on way to Mt. Zion Memorial service in Neshoba County. 7/64
138. Freeman Cocroft, second from left. Mt. Zion Memorial Service.
139. Mt. Zion Memorial Service -- Neshoba County. Aug. 1964. Front row, L. to R.: Diane Pachella, ?, Rosalyn Waterhouse, Patti Miller, Patricia Waterhouse, Luke Kabat, Richard Swanson, Peter Rabinowitz?, Phil Corner, UK. Second row, behind and to the left of Phil with glasses: David Kotz.
Center-Right: Alone with sweater and headscarf: Carol Rogoff (NY SNCC Office.)
180. Atlantic City August 1964 -- MFDP Challenge at Democratic Party National Convention. Mlevy Photo
143. (L. to R.) Clare __ , RN, UK, UK, Marilyn Leonard in red print dress, Marge __ in green dress.
144. (L. to R.) Clare __ , RN, UK, UK, Marilyn Leonard in red print dress, Marge __ in green dress, UK.
145. (L. to R.) Boy on window sill from Southside (who walked to commuity center despite having polio), Linda Martin, Lenray Gandy, Larry Martin, Luke Kabat
146. Brenda S. Wallace, UK, Rosemary Sims, center green shirt Richard Wallace.
147. Front left, Richard Henderson, 3rd from left __ Miller, Linda Martin (center with paper by mouth.
148. L to R -- UK, UK, Pat Thompson, Phil Corner, Dorothy Thompson, Anne Thompson
149. Girl on left in dress with sailor collar is Rosemary Sims. Second from left behind her is Johnny R. Sims, Robert Wallace, Lenray Gandy, Bill Miller
187. L to R: Blair Underwood and Mark Levy -- Neshoba County, MS. 1989
185. L to R: Mark Levy and Mrs. Polly Heidelberg in Meridian 1989
162. (L. to R.) March 2010. Mark Levy and Roscoe Jones, Sr.
164. (L to R.) Mrs. Dessie Turner, Mark Levy. March 2011. Mr. and Mrs. Turner were the Meridian host family in 1964 who invited Mark Levy and Betty Bollinger Levy into their home and gave them save haven while they were teaching in the Freedom School.
165. (L. to R,) Mark Levy, Sadie Martin - March 2011
166. (L. to R.) Jacqulyn Reed Cockfield, Gail Falk.. March 2011
167. (L. to R.) Mark Levy, Gail Falk, Roscoe Jones (March 2011) in front of a school mural honoring the first five students to desegregate Meridian High School after a court order in 1965.
169. (L. to R.) Mark Levy, Roscoe Jones, Gail Falk after 2011 interview with Meridian Star editor Fredie Carmichael.
171. Roscoe and Lance
173. Roscoe Jones, head of "Freedom '64," outside the old COFO office. 2010
174. (2011) L. ro R, Judge V. Young, Roscoe Jones, Mark Levy
175. Diagonally across from the original COFO office was Young's Hotel -- still standing!
177. The Meridian Baptist Seminary -- which served as the site of the 1964 Freedom School -- burned and was razed. It is currently an empty lot.
178. First Union -- Location of many 1964 events -- As seen in 2010
217. Art teacher and photographer Donna Garde
216 -- Donna Garde - Art teacher and Photographer -- and sometimes Math Teacher
Mark Levy and Betty Bollinger Levy pictured Nov. 1963 in June 1964 L.I. Press article.