Bus Tour Departure
Getting Ready for the Bus Tour
Conference Chair Margie LaCerra setting out name tags for Bus Tour
Bus Tour Attendees still arriving!
Reading Through the Guidebook
Preparing for the Tour
Arrival of Motorcoach
My Kind of Town Tour Motorcoach
The bus driver's waiting...
Walking to the coach
Boarding for the Tour
Hilton parking lot perfect spot
Can't wait to get started
Keep filing in
From a distance
There's two full busses
Ready to Go!
Docent Leah Joy Axelrod
St. Mary of the Angels as seen from the Kennedy Expressway
St. Mary's from a distance; Save the Dome campaign
Holy Trinity Church as seen from the Kennedy Expressway
Conference Chair Margie LaCerra
Approaching the Church
St. John Cantius founded in 1893 to handle the overflow of parishioners from St. Stanislaus Kostka; architurally of rusticated stone in High Renaissance style
St. John Cantius from afar; another example of the 'Polish Cathedral -style' of architecture; inscription in top pediment says, "Boze Zbew Polske"-God Save Poland
Main altar and two matching side altars were displayed at the Chicago 1893 Columbian Exposition, dismantled and brought to St. John Cantius after the Exposition
Side altar of the south transept-St. John Cantius
Partial view of dome above high altar
A tribute to the Galician immigrants who founded the parish in 1893, a one third scale copy of St. Mary's Altar (Ołtarz Mariacki),the largest Gothic altarpiece in the World; a nat'l treasure of Poland. It is located behind the Communion table of St. Mary's Basilica, Kraków. .
Jim and Sharon Piechorowski with the magnificent altar as a backdrop
Stained glass above side altar in the south transept
Stained glass window above side altar-south transept different view
Vestibule-above exterior front door
Mural above main altar
Architectural triforium between main altar and side transept (scalloped archways)
Mural of dome over north transept altar with sisters welcoming the children to school at St. John Cantius
Center of dome over main part (nave) of the church
Inlaid flooring recently added to center aisle; wood carved by computer and fit together like a jigsaw puzzle from 16 woods obtained from around the world. Only floor like it in the world.
Looking west toward the back of the church, visual of choir loft
The Last Supper beneath the high altar
Father Phillips giving talk with the lit angel on wall behind him
Mural of 'The Miracle of the Jug' in Krakow; in the painting, St. Adalbert Church is visible in the foreground with patron St. John Cantius
One of many stained glass windows made by the Gawin Co. of Milwaukee
Replica of Voit Stoss Altar of St. Mary's in Krakow
Rev.C.Frank Phillips, CR. Pastor of St. John Cantius in front of the replica Voit Stoss Altar of Krakow and openoing up to a Italian creche from Rome
Close up of the altar
Plaques in room of the Wit Stwosz (Polish) Altar
Another view of altar
Replica statue, smaller scale of the Pieta
Intricate appointments in the fascade of the Chopin theatre at Division and Milwaukee Avenues
The parish school building of St. John Cantius, now houses the Chicago School for Performing Arts. No grammar school exists
Entrance to Holy Trinity, established in 1872
Chicago's first 'all' Polish Church; masses and bulletins from beginning in Polish and is still, in the Polish language only. Built in the 'Polish Cathedral style'
Close up of Holy Trinity - Robert Kennedy attended Mass, part of festivities surrounding the annual Polish Constitution Day Parade in 1961.
Interior of Church, left side altar of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Interior of Church displaying Main Altar and to the right side, Altar of St. Joseph
Close up of High Altar
Main Altar and both side Altars, Holy Trinity Church
View upper altar with newly painted mural of Polish patron saints during 2005 renovation; beautiful iron clad dome encases mural and High Altar
Magnificent finished renovation; the first church of many to be restored
Margie always has to take her own pictures...
Father Andrzej with two of our tour participants/members (L-R) Mary Ann Erbach and Betty Iwanski who were baptized here.
Complete renovation of Holy Trinity began in 2005 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the present building.
Main Altar close up adorned with statues of Patron Saints of Poland
North altar with mural of the Sacred Heart of Jesus adjacent to the St. Joseph altar of the northwest corner of the Church within the iron constructed vaults that make up the Church.
This is the south altar of Our Lady of Czestochowa; both north and south windows are Gothic-Romanesque in style.
St. Joseph's Altar to the north of the Main Altar
Father Andrzej talking to our audience with Blessed Virgin Mary altar to his right.
Father Andrzej in front of Main Altar
This is the Our Lady of Czestchowa Altar of the south vault. All of the windows are stained glass and represent sacred symbols familiar to the Polish immigrants who founded the parish. Other windows feature small windows of Polish Saints and martyrs as well as Polish eagles and folkloric motifs.
Saints of Poland depicted in murals
More of the murals
Blessed Mother and Infant Jesus Altar to the left of the Main Altar
Close up of Our Lady of Czestochowa; the Black Madonna
Black Madonna over the altar of St. Francis of Assisi
Stained glass familiar symbols to the Polish immigrants; Black Madonna painting over the altar of St. Francis of Assisi
Close up of right side of front altar
Holy Trinity's stained glass windows represent sacred symbols familiar to the Polish immigrants who founded the parish
Listening to Ks. Andrzej Maslejak, Pastor relate the history of Holy Trinity
Ks. Andrzej Maslejak, Pastor and Conference Chair, Margie LaCerra
Mural of leading the flock
Overview of our tour listening attentively to Fr. Andrzej
Pipe organ in choir loft at rear
View of Pulpit with Our Lady of Czestochowa at its side
Baptismal Font at Holy Trinity
Docent Leah Joy Axelrod and PGSA President Eileen Carter
Into the catacombs
Going through the catacombs (inspired underground cemetery) of Holy Trinity where the holy relics of saints and the beatified can be venerated. The result is one of the most distinctive and interesting aspects of Holy Trinity
View of depiction of Christ in the tomb of the Easter vigil
Enclave of the Pieta with more relics
Relics behind the staue of the Pieta
Down in the Church hall, one wall fullof Church history
Neighboring parish of Basilica of St. Hyacinth
More Polish history
Newly beatified Sr. St. Faustina
As we head out to the bus
Present day Church
More photos shown of the history of the Church
Prominent Priests and Pastors of Holy Trinity
More men of great importance
Sisters of Holy Trinity history
Downstairs Social Hall of Holy Trinity Church where various community activities are held.
Boarding the bus on our way to the Polish Museum of America for lunch.
Social Hall of the Polish Museum of America in preparation for a Polish lunch catered by Kasias.
Tour attendees arriving for lunch at PMA
Everyone finding a spot
Our symbol as the centerpiece
Waiting to eat, but listening to Rich Kujawa tell of the Museum
So much to chose from: roast pork, polish sausage, sauerkraut, potato dumplings, pierogies, peas and carrots, cucumbers in sour cream and nalesniki with raspberry sauce for dessert.
Come and get it!
Tables were called to buffet in an orderly fashion.
Needed to refuel for the afternoon.
Engrossed in mealtime conversation
God Bless the Food and All Who Eat It.
Karen Stanuch, Membership Chair and sisters, Joann Fenili (center) and Janet Halfar
Sharing the morning's events
Maria Ciesla, President of the Polish Museum of America and Joseph Drobot Jr., President of the Polish Roman Catholic Union of America.
Jan Lorys, Curator of the Museum, telling guests about the annual trips to Poland that the Museum sponsors.
Listening attentively to Jan Lorys
Bus Tour Docents, Sharon Tucker and Leah Joy Axelrod.
Hm, bardzo smaczne (very tasty)!
First on the Polish Museum of America's tour, the Paderewski Room
Wooden carved appointment over the door of the Grand Hall of Polish Museum of America
A bust of the famous pianist/statesman-Paderewski
Ignatz Paderewski with his beloved Poland symbol
We get a peek at the State of the art Kusmierczak Gallery officially opening in November.
Jan Lory, Museum Curator commentating on the new Art Gallery, soon to open to the public.
Logo of Pulaski Park in one of the gyms.
Entrance to Pulaski Park, built in 1914 and named after Casimer Pulaski, a Polish War Hero who fought for the American cause in the Revolutionary War.
Brick and limestone fascade now lined with summer's ivy.
Field house south view
Athletic field with park house in background
Completed in 1914, Pulaski Park was designed by architect William Carbys Zimmerman and landscape architect Jens Jensen.
The main hall at the Park; In 1919, Jens Jensen collaborated with the Art Institute of Chicago to conduct a competition with art students to paint a mural on the semi-circular proscenium above the stage in the field house auditorium. First prize went to James G. Gilbert, who received $200 for materials as well as the $100 prize. Gilbert painted the mural of allegorical figures.
Close up of mural painted by James G. Gilbert in 1919.
This hall is used for community events.
Exterior of St. Stanislaus Kostka towering over our tour bus.
St. Stanislaus Kostka, the first Polish parish established in Chicago in 1867; the "mother church" of Chicago's Polish community. The church lost one of its two belfries that was reminiscent of Cracow from a 1970 lightning strike
Close up of limestone fascade of entrance
The church was completed in 1881 and designed by Patrick Keely of Brooklyn (who also built Chicago's Holy Name Cathedral). The Renaissance style recalls the glory days of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 16th century
Although there is major restoration going on in the church, we were allowed a quick peek.
The future home of the planned Sanctuary of Divine Mercy. Will include an adoration chapel and outdoor prayer garden enclosed by a surrounding wall of stone to help define the space as sacred; no liturgies or vocal prayers, only meditation. At the center is the Iconic Monstrance of Our Lady of the Sign - the focus of 24-hour Eucharistic Adoration.
We happened to catch the official tour guide, Lorenzo who gave some insight about St. Stanislaus Kostka
Close up of Our Lady of the Sign, the centerpiece of the planned Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
Monstrance of Our Lady of the Sign at St. Stanislaus Kostka
The mural over the altar by Tadeusz Żukotyński depicts Our Lady placing the infant Jesus in the arms of St. Stanislaus Kostka. Zukotynski, who came to Chicago in 1888, was considered one of Europe's foremost painters.
St. Stanislaus Kostka and the Iconic Monstrance of Our Lady of the Sign-the centerpiece of the Sanctuary of Divine Mercy with a backdrop of Polish Patron Saints
Our Lady of Czestochowa altar
Architectural triforium with the row of arches featuring some of the Stations of the Cross
Showing the northeast corner of the main altar
The other side, north wall of the that triforium.
Stained glass windows by F.X. Zettler of the Royal Bavarian Institute in Munich
Bus driver Steve of bus no.1
Roadside scenary of the community enroute to Delightful Pastries and J & L European Deli
Streetscape of corner of Lawrence and Austin Avenues
Deli stop in Jefferson Park; Polish style maze shelves lined with imported food and goods of all types
Stacked bottle of imported drinks like soldiers on the shelf
Homemade goodies galore!
Meat and Cheeses of J & L European Deli Market
Visiting the Polish Deli at Lawrence and Austin Avenues
The shop held scents of authentic Polish meats and cheeses
A Polish bakery, Delightful Pastries, offering its mouth watering products.
Family-owned and operated bakery has been serving delicious home-style European pastries, cakes and baked goodies to our faithful Chicago clientele for more than 10 years
Generations in the business
Sweets for every need
Difficult to choose!
Too many choices from Delightful Pastries...
A quick look in the work area of the bakery.
Work station as long as the space
Even bottled water from a spa town (Krynicz) in Poland
Bakery can't keep up with our tour
Great break to the afternoon of touring
Felt like a real European marketplace
Delightful Pastries of Jefferson Park
Nore architecture along Milwaukee Ave. route
Driving northwest along Milwaukee Ave., some architectural sights.
Corner of building ornamentation
A monument to Jerzy Popiełuszko, a dissident priest murdered by the secret police sits in the “Garden of Memory” alongside the Basilica
Too quickly passing by to catch a picture of St. Hyacinth, but a banner was captured.
Moving right along up Milwaukee Ave. corridor through the intersection of Milwaukee, Irving and Cicero commonly known as 6 corners-now commemorated with kiosks of historical notations...featured by the Northwest Chicago Historical Society
Back at the Hotel to prepare for the next day's Conference.