Side brackets fitted to the ledger
Checking my angles: 55.1 deg. and 63.45 deg.
The hardest part: driving those lags while holding the 2nd piece steady
a toenailed screw helped
testing out the fit
Top is cut at a matching angle as the brace
Bolted to the bracket
Ready to get bolted to the ledger
Ready to go on the house!
Lags into the studs... not going anywhere
The weather kept taunting me with the chance of rain
Added a strip of 1x6 with the top cut at an angle to fit the corner, and dadoes cut out of the backside to fit over the lag heads
Vycor: a bit overkill, but I didn't want to buy a giant bundle of tar paper
See how I had to cut out the bottom of the siding. I thought I measured it exactly so the roof would meet the bottom of that plank, but I came just too high. I ended up just taking those planks out completely.
Oops, ran out of shingles!
Not to worry, I hodge-podged something together and covered it with flashing.
I call it the "don't waste any shingles" pattern. I used every bit of one package--didn't want to buy another pack just to use 1 or 2 shingles from it.
New siding up. Going to also replace some of the cracked siding above the window.