This historic San Bernardino facility was constructed in 1926 for use as a county administration center and courthouse. It no longer adequately supports modern court operations. Courtrooms have been built in space originally designed for offices.
Many courtrooms are undersized and some have columns in the center of the litigation area. The judicial bench areas are small and unsuited for the technology required in modern courtrooms.
Because the security screening area is so small. the public waits outside where daytime temperatures reach over 105 degrees in the summer.
This project will provide a new 36-courtroom facility on a site donated by the City of San Bernardino directly across the street from the historic courthouse.
The 11-story building will occupy a site of about 7 acres, which will also include 385 surface parking spaces for court visitors and staff.
Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2011.