This is Gerhard. He's guarding our back door. I should get a fresher picture of him, as the landscape has much improved since this was taken at the end of winter 2008.
This series is when I finally cleaned my garage, during my unemployment in early 2008. Front and center is my Plymouth Sundance RaceCar. Before this picture was taken, all you could see was the taillights sticking out from underneath a gigantic pile. Now the garage almost resembles the shop it was intended to be.
This used to be the only navigable area in the garage, but the drawers and cabinets were inaccessible due to a variety of obstacles. The door of the car was also inaccessible.
My wife's motorcycle had always been an obstacle, primarily because I refused to put anything on top of it. Those shelves used to go from back to front, the workbench was back where the bike is, and the bike was up where the snowblower is. None of the margins were that wide, as the car door was blocked by the pile that was atop it. For the first time, one can walk all the way around the bike without tripping or sqeezing past. Also for the first time, the snowblower and lawnmower are indoors.
The iMac has teamed up with my wife's discarded stereo system to provide a very ample sound system. The next step here is to raise the stereo onto a shelf above the desk, but that will come in time. Since this was taken, the bike and snowblower have swapped places, as it's no longer winter. There is also now a garbage can where the jackstands were. The cabinet hanging on the wall used to be sitting atop the racecar, waiting to be installed.
There is now ample space in front of the car to actually perform the engine transplant that's been sitting idle for almost five years now. Now I have the space, and my tools are accessible enough to be able to rebuild the engine at left, and drop it into the waiting cavern inside the car.
The back wall and corner area used to be a floor to ceiling pile in front of the pegboards that spilled over on top of the fridge. Now there's only a small pile atop my tablesaw in the corner. The engine crane also now has a home, as it used to sit in front of the black cabinet behind the bike. You can also notice that the maintenance cart is completely devoid of clutter.
I finally got around to organizing my pegboard. I used to have the battery charges just laying around waiting to be needed, and the various tools hanging here were scattered about the empire, but now I've got them organized and into place.
This is perhaps the finest tool Craftsman has ever made. Let me know if you find a finer one.
The propane cylinders and the gascans were clustered on the floor in various places wherever they had been set last. I'm hoping to get more of the clutter removed so that they can go in a more prominent location.
This picture shows some of the wiring I had to do to get a consistent source of electrons around the garage. Previously, I had ONE receptacle (by the pegboard). All of my extension cords were draped around the garage to various light fixtures, and all of the turning on of the lights was done by unplugging them.
Now you can see that my extension cords are wrapped neatly and hung on the wall. I also felt very clever for hanging my AC Manifold Gauges on the end of the garage door track.
Another view of the clean floor. It feels so good to be able to walk around in there without bobbing and weaving, and squeezing through crevices.
This is the test of the theater. Taken January of 2007 with a cellphone. Playing video games on this unit is a pleasure, almost full immersion gaming.
This is the screen shortly after it was hung January 2007. The basement is still cluttered, and the wiring isn't finished yet, but it's good to see the scale of the project taking shape. The screen is over 8 feet wide, and goes floor to ceiling, giving us 120 inches of viewable area (that's 10 FEET!).
This is the heart of the system: The LC-XS1 - POWERHOUSE ONE. Of interesting note: It actually says "POWERHOUSE ONE" on the front of it. It's a commercial grade projector that throws out over 2500 ANSI Lumens. Our room is at the short end of its projection range, so the image is VERY bright and crisp
End of Day 1, More excavation needed, MUCH more
End of Day 2, the pattern is coming along quite nicely
Day 3 it rained. This is all the farther I got. And we're almost out of sand.