Prospective top of a box to be veneered on a "developed surface"........... 3/4" MDF.
Arcs laid out to begin shaping.
Edges marked to guide freehand shaping.
Initial shaping done.
Offcut replaced to protect burl veneer edges in vacuum bag.
Carpathian Elm burl veneer wetted out and placed over absorbent paper on the MDF top.
Another layer of paper towel and into the bag.
It formed so well that I did it again without the offcut and with the edges eased. The veneer wrapped over the edges nicely.
Corners need a little repair but that's doable.
Big Leaf Maple shop cut veneer book match made from a highly figured board I had around.
This will be the inside lid.
Candidate for marquetry being checked out.
The book match was so nice that I almost didn't want to lose the center of it.
Marquetry being cut by the window method.
Cut pieces are taped into the drawing from behind.
The next piece has been cut out of the pattern and traced onto the new veneer piece.
And fitted in it's place.
This piece will have to fit against other pieces almost all the way around.
Here it is ready to fit.
Completed rose motif taped up on the backside and placed on the field veneer.
Traced out with a sharp pencil.
.........And cut in to place. A little water is added here to show the color and to raise the grain for final sanding prior to watercolor dying the marquetry.
The original picture, the color separated pattern, and the finished marquetry.
Dying the individual pieces with aniline dyes and an artist's brush.
I'm not attempting to copy the colors, just the pattern of color.
The first few pieces dyed.
All dyed with the various elements together for a photo op.
Dyed marquetry in place.
Needs a little touch up around the "white" areas.
A few subtle touches to set off the whites and a coat of lacquer to pop the color.
I like it.
Veneered lid, lid apron and box blank.
Inside the lid.
First look at the rose in place inside the lid.
There is lots more veneering to go.
Rose Bud marquetry for the front panel of the box.
After all that I decided that it was too small.
New one is 10% larger.
Closed buds are for the box ends.
The one on the left shows the lines from cutting,.
The one on the right was the second layer in the packet.
Dry fit of the hinge.
From the bottom up.
Time to find out if I can in fact actually veneer the round corners.
Lay on a coat of glue.
Lay veneer over and apply another coat of glue.
Flip the veneer over and hammer out.
Not bad but a bubble or two.
That should iron down when initial set cools.
Bubbles ironed out nicely and the corner is veneered.
This will work.
Closed bud end panels.
Zebrano edge treatment on inside of lid apron.
Hammer veneered with hot hide glue and a putty knife as a tiny veneer hammer.
Elm burl inner face on lid apron.
The amber aniline dye may not look that appropriate right now but I think that may change on the completed box.
In the background are the inside box faces veneered with Walnut.
Detail of the Zebrano edge treatment.
Preliminary shaping of the box.
Walnut veneers in place inside with Purpleheart tray rails.
Today's dying (top), two end panels and the new larger front panel.
I jammed out on the amber dyed Elm burl, sanded it off and replaced it with Purpleheart which is already a trim wood on this box.
Left end marquetry.
Right end marquetry.
All the marquetry panels ready to install.
Rubbed joints on the box sides.
Two corners glued.
Veneering the top edge of the box.
End of another day. The box is final shaped, the hinges are installed as is the lock.
At this point the hinge still comes apart.
A look with the lid on.
Marquetry panel positions marked and reinforcing splines installed.
Black Mottle Makore field veneer for the box.
The pieces for the lid are cut off after indexing marks in pencil.
First two pieces of Makore.
The corners are working... a big relief.
The Makore is on and it all went well.
Making Paduk circles.
Centering the Pattern to cut the curved banding.
Cutting in banding.
Mock-up of the motifs in place.
Scoring the outline of the back motif.
"Paint" on hot water.
Remove waste from motif mounting area.
Ready for glue-up.
There are so many things that can go wrong here.
Fingers crossed until morning.
OK one thing that could go wrong is that it could slip a little.
All I can do now is repair, but as it doesn't appear crooked, that is doable.
Second end, this one a better fit.
Marquetry all in, not as good as I would have liked but fixable.
Here I'm working on the base and the lid trim (Wenge).
Front panel, rough sanded.
The top is one of the surprise successes.
A little foolishness for the bottom.
Dyed rose in.
Finished 3D bottom panel.
First several coats of lacquer.
The dyed parts come out well.