Surviving silk weavers' cottages on what was Pelham Street, now Woodseer Street: this street is where David Wiseman and wife Ann lived when they first came to London from Norwich, and where Amelia was born 06/05/1836
Another view of surviving silk weavers' cottages on pelham street, now Woodseer Street: note profile of demolished building.
The dwellings on the right have been refurbished, in effect making the backs into fronts to form a courtyard with the terrace behind. Their original fronts face on to Pelham Street, now Woodseer Street.
Rear of a building that's probably contemporary with the silk weavers' cottages on Pelham Street, now Woodseer Street: the present buildings in this part of the street are modern.
This old section of wall is where 42 Pelham Street (now Woodseer Street) once stood.
Less than a hundred metres from 42 Pelham Street (now Woodseer Street) is the former Trumans Brewery on Brick Lane.
David and Ann Wiseman lived at 6 Dunk Street at the time of the 1851 Census and at 7 Dunk Street in 1861. The street was occupied by a mixture of Europeans and Irish. By 1890 it was 95-100% Jewish tailoring families. No buildings survive, although the entry to the street from Whitechapel Road is probably the access to a yard between two shops. This business park stands on the street line. Much of the street is covered by public housing, mainly flats.
David Wiseman a fish salesman (not fishmonger), was at the time of the 1871 Census living at 16a North Street (later re-named Brady Street then buried under local authority buildings), Bethnal Green with his wife Sarah from Bethnal Green. With them were their children David aged 17 but not shown as having any employment, William aged 13 a fish salesman, John aged 10, James (Joan Wiseman’s Great Uncle James) aged 8 who in the next census is shown as a porter, Sarah aged 3, a boarder named Louise Dines born 1854 and a lodger named William Wellington who had been born at Portsea in 1800. At the same address is the household of a Jacobs family.
The Brady Centre on what was North Street when David James Wiseman was living there in 1871.
James Wiseman who had come from Norwich had by the time been dead for about four years, but James Wiseman born Bethnal Green Q4 1862, in 1881 lived at 131 Cambridge Rd next door to the Lyons catering family. This was before the district went downhill. Other children living there were Sarah Ann Wiseman born Bethnal Green Q2 1868,Charles Wiseman born about 1873 at Bethnal Green, Annie Wiseman born about 1874 and last child
Louie Wiseman born about 1877. Few 19th Century domestic dwellings survive on Cambridge Road, renamed Cambridge Heath Road in 1938. This one is shown for ilustration purposes only,
Behind the wall between the two blocks would have been Dunk Street, which was still showing on a street map from the 1960s.
In 1910 William Frederick and Eleanor Wiseman's married home is at 11 Gloucester Road, South Hackney. It looks as if this is the district of Hackney known as Haggerston. Gloucester Road as such no longer exists but this modern gated development off Whiston Road (former Gloucester Street) at Haggerston near Haggerston Park (created in 1970s on land which. was once the site of Gas Works, bombed in 1944) is the only extant local place with Gloucester in the name.
entrance to the rebuilt People's Palace building at Queen Mary College
presented to the Trustees of the People's Palace for the benefit of the people of East London by Herbert Stern Esq in memory of his father Baron de Stern
Queen's Building, Queen Mary College, actually the original People's Palace
See photo of building in this album.
view across lawn of the original People's palace