July 1st, Took down privacy fence to push back 3' to make more room for the Oven. Dad volunteered 75 hours of his time to help me with construction! Riley wonders where the garden went!
Previous owner used 3, 80 lb bags of cement on the fence posts, necessitating a giant hole to relocate fence posts!
Riley helps excavate!
Foundation with rebar, ready to Pour!
Mixer could easily handle 2, 80 lb bags at a time.
26 bags of concrete!
Block wall stand dry stacked
Completed stand, 5 courses high with precast lintels
Every other hole filled with concrete & rebar
Form built to pour hearth slab
Rebar & remesh in place over 2 sheets of hardibacker board, ready to Pour!
Poured slab, 3.5" of reinforced high strength concrete, with 4" topping of vermiculite & portland mix for insulating layer. Vermicrete is concentrated where the oven will sit, front edge is standard concrete
Form removed, Hearth is done!
Dad's first "off road" trip in his new Explorer!
Riley ponders an inspection of the Hearth
Wary of the stairs Riley moves quick!
Proud Riley aproves of the Hearth!
Layout of the Dome!
Cooking floor layout
Covered back porch is converted to an oven construction site!
Cooking floor laid out!
Cooking Floor cut to fit inside the dome walls!
One of the more complex cuts for the cooking floor
Fireclay + Sand + water = leveling of hearth to prep for cooking floor.
Laying out the cooking floor.
Laid out the floor workign down the center to the back and then spread the sides out.
Cooking Floor in place!
Soldier course begins!
Soldier course complete!
1/8" masonite to protect the cooking floor and give me a solid mount for my indespensible tool. Cut and screwed back together to allow removal after dome is complete
Begin to layout doorway arch!
Arch laid out with a double keystone
Masonite is covered in plastic tucked underneath at edges to keep it dry and protect cooking floor. 1st Course done!
2nd course Done!
Starting to look like a dome!
Form in place, ready to start the first form supported course!
Trapezoidal bricks to be 2nd to last course!
Damn. Hole was too big for a single keystone!
One more course of 8 custom cut mini bricks!
Square Peg, Octagonal Hole?
Octagonal Keystone! Perfect fit on the first try!
I had budgeted 2 hours of time to trial and error keystone fitting, turns out it took 10 minutes to cut that keystone and it fit perfect!
Keystone Motared in, Dome is Done!
Oven landing under vent arch done!
Wide angle shot from the door archway up to the keystone.
Turned out better then I ever imagined!
Vent Arch laid out
Carved out the edge bricks leading to the chimney to widen the funnel.
Vent Arch form, plywood with masonite bent around to for a smooth surface
Vent Arch done!
Vent hole, bricks closest to the oven are beveled in to widen entrance to chimney for better flow
Leveling bricks on vent arch for chimney foundation.
Vent arch done, you can see I used 1 full brick and 1/3rd of a brick to get a 12" deep vent archway to the oven
Red brick facade arch done. Built to match the red brick arch fireplace in my living room to the right.
Chimney base built from 2 flue tiles cut diagonally and level on top and bottom to form an inverted funnel
Topped with a single flue tile, thin firbrick scrap was used to give extra strength, probably overkill!
Begining the wood storage arch.
Wood Storage Arch done!
3 layers of 1" thick insulation.
Another curign fire with metal lath partially on.
Dad helps with lath work
"Stucco" done! White surface bond cement with acrlyic fortifier put on in 2 layers.
First Pizza fire!
If you follow the flames you can see the keystone!
Tastes damn good!
First pizza with a 2006 Xyxau (a very nice Italian Barley wine, I had been saving this bottle to go with my first pizza!)
Well pizza was good but still a bunch of hearth finish work left! Starting the split brick facade to cover the hearth pad edges!
You can see my chimney fromt he living room fireplace here. When you stand in the kitchen you can see both the fireplace in the living room and my oven with a matching red brick arch!
Bullnose edge bricks cut and laid out, there was a good chance of rain so I did all cuttign and lay out one day and mortar the next day!
Bar top next to the oven for hold beer & pizza peels!
More pizza. During the first pizza I had trouble getting the oven above 675, suspected my vent arch was letting too much air in. Vertical sides are single fire bricks cut to fit tight against the arch but only sit there, not mortared in, they simply provide flow control, no structural purpose
Mortaring the last couple bricks!
Dry laid paver bricks to extend the patio around the oven.
Totally done with a cleebratory beer on November 12th!
That beer bottle got hot quick!
After 375 hours of work & 12,200 lbs of raw materials, my wood fired brick oven!
A local restaurant supply company sells me Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour, but only in 55lb bags!