WESLYAN METHODIST CHURCH
VILLAGE OF TOTTINGTON
PILKINGTON'S BURIAL SITES
HADRIANS WALL AT HOUSESTERAD ROMAN FORT
BARRACK ROOM REMAINS AT HOUSESTEAD FORT
VIEW FACING NORTH WHERE BARBARIANS WOULD ATTACK FROM,
REMAINS OF GRANARY BUILDING
SOUTHERN VIEW FROM HOUSESTEAD FORT
Kelso Abbey is what remains of a Scottish abbey founded in the 12th century by a community of Tironensian monks first brought to Scotland in the reign of Alexander I. It occupies ground overlooking the confluence of the Tweed and Teviot waters, the site of what was once the Royal Burgh of Roxburgh and the intended southern centre for the developing Scottish kingdom at that time. Kelso thus became the seat of a pre-eminently powerful abbacy in the heart of the Scottish Borders.
ENTRANCE TO KELSO ABBEY
Kelso Abbey effectively ceased to function as the result of a combination of events in the mid sixteenth century. First, in the 1540s, the building sustained major damage in attacks perpetrated under the orders of the English king, Henry VIII, part of the so-called Rough Wooing, in which most of southern Scotland's abbeys, including those at Melrose, Dryburgh and Jedburgh, were targeted for destruction by forces under the command of the Earl of Hertford. This physical assault was followed around ten years later, in 1560, by monastic disestablishment under the Scottish Reformation, from which time the Tironensian community at Kelso was no longer officially recognised.LSO ABBEY
KELSO BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER TWEED
The River Tweed, is 97 miles (156 km) long and flows primarily through the Borders region of Scotland,
VIEW FROM KELSO BRIDGE
Jedburgh Abbey, a ruined Augustinian abbey which was founded in the 12th century is situated in the town of Jedburgh, in the Scottish Borders just 10 miles (16 km) north of the border with England at Carter Bar. Jedburgh is the largest town on the A68 between Newcastle upon Tyne and the Scottish capital, Edinburgh.
SIDE VIEW JEDBURGH ABBEY
JEDBURGH ABBEY FROM CEMETARY
HOME OF MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS IN JEDBURGHH
Mary, Queen of Scots' House is a museum in Jedburgh devoted to Marie Stuart opened in 1987, on the 400th anniversary of her death. Although there is some debate as to whether this was indeed the fortified house she was taken to, it is believed that she stayed here, where she was gravely ill after riding 30 miles to Hermitage and back in one day to visit James Hepburn, the Earl of Bothwell who was himself seriously wounded, and falling into a bog on the way home. This house belonged to the Kerrs of nearby Ferniehirst Castle (where it is likely she may have been cared for instead).
Hermitage Castle is a semi-ruined castle in the border region of Scotland. The Castle has a reputation, both from its history and its appearance, as one of the most sinister and atmospheric in Scotland
MORE HERMITAGE CASTLE
Supposedly built by one Nicholas de Soulis around 1240, in a typical Norman Motte and Bailey pattern. It stayed in his family until approximately 1320 when his descendant, William de Soulis was forfeited on account of witchcraft and the attempted regicide of King Robert I of Scotland. Legend has it that Soulis' tenantry, having suffered unbearable depredations, arrested him and at the nearby Ninestane Rig (a megalithic circle), had him boiled to death in molten lead. In actuality, he died, a prisoner, in Dumbarton Castle.
Mary, Queen of Scots, made a famous marathon journey on horseback to visit the wounded Bothwell there, only a few weeks after the birth of her son. They were to marry shortly after the murder of her 2nd husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, regardless of the fact that Bothwell was implicated amongst the conspirators. After Mary's forced abdication following the confrontation at Carberry Hill, Bothwell, facing charges of treason, fled to Norway and his titles and estates were forfeited by Act of Parliament
Melrose Abbey is a Gothic-style abbey in Melrose, Scotland. It was founded in 1136 by Cistercian monks, on the request of King David I of Scotland. It was headed by the Abbot or Commendator of Melrose. Today the abbey is maintained by Historic Scotland (open all year; entrance charge). The ruins of Melrose are widely considered among the most beautiful of religious houses in the United Kingdom, being especially notable for a wealth of well-preserved figure-sculpture, and its architecture is considered to be some of the finest in Scotland.
CEMETARY AT MELROSE ABBEY
MUSEUM AT MELROSE ABBEY
BURIAL SITE OF ROBERT THE BRUCE'S HEART
A town slowly grew up around the Abbey. In 1322 the town was attacked by the army of Edward II, and much of the Abbey destroyed. It was rebuilt by order of King Robert the Bruce, with Sir James Douglas being principal auditor of finance for the project. The King's embalmed heart, encased in lead, was later buried in the church following its return from crusade with the dead Lord Douglas in 1330/1331.
Smailholm Tower was originally built in the 15th century or early 16th century by the Pringle family. This family, originally spelt Hoppringle, who were followers of the Earl of Douglas, held the lands of Smailholm from the early 15th century, and managed part of Ettrick Forest for their feudal superior.
Smailholm Tower was designed, in common with all Scottish peel towers, to provide its occupants with protection from sporadic English raids
VIEW FROM SMAILHOLM TOWER
ANOTHER VIEW FROM SMAILHOLM TOWER
Dryburgh Abbey, near Dryburgh on the banks of the River Tweed in the Scottish Borders, was nominally founded on 10 November (Martinmas) 1150 in an agreement between Hugh de Morville, Lord of Lauderdale and Constable of Scotland, and the Premonstratensian canons regular from Alnwick Abbey in Northumberland. The arrival of the canons along with their first abbot, Roger, took place on 13 December 1152.[
It was burned by English troops in 1322, after which it was restored only to be again burned by Richard II in 1385, but it flourished in the fifteenth century. It was finally destroyed in 1544, briefly to survive until the Scottish Reformation, when it was given to the Earl of Mar by James VI of Scotland.
The 12th Earl of Buchan bought the land in 1786. Sir Walter Scott and Douglas Haig are buried in its grounds
TOMB OF SIR WALTER SCOTT
RIVER TWEED ALONGSIDE DRYEBURG ABBEY
WILLIAM WALLACE STATUE
The William Wallace Statue in the grounds of Bemersyde House, near Melrose in the Scottish Borders is a statue commemorating William Wallace. It was commissioned by David Stuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan, and it protected as a category B listed building.
The statue was made of red sandstone by John Smith of Darnick and was erected in 1814. It stands 31 feet high and depicts Wallace looking over the River Tweed. In 1991, the Saltire Society raised funds for a renovation which was carried out by Bob Heath and Graciella Glenn Ainsworth.
Scott's View refers to a viewpoint in the Scottish Borders, overlooking the valley of the River Tweed, which is reputed to be one of the favourite views of Sir Walter Scott
According to a popular story, Sir Walter Scott stopped at this point so often on the way to his home at Abbotsford, that his horses would halt without command. After his death in 1832, his funeral cortège passed this way en route to his burial at Dryburgh Abbey, and his horses stopped at his favourite view to allow their master a last look at the Borders landscape
Crichton Castle is a ruined castle situated at the head of the River Tyne, near the village of Crichton, Midlothian, Scotland
VIEW AT CRICHTON CASTLE
VIEW FROM CRICHTON CASTLE
In the late 14th century John de Crichton (d.1406) built a tower house here as his family residence. John's son, William (d. c. 1453), served as Lord Chancellor of Scotland, and was made Lord Crichton in c. 1443. In 1440 he had been partly responsible for organising the "Black Dinner", where the young Earl of Douglas was murdered. As a result, he obtained the Douglas property of Bothwell Castle in Lanarkshire for himself. John Forrester of Corstorphine, a Douglas adherent, stormed and slighted the castle in 1445 in retaliation
CRICHTON CASTLE CLOSE UP
THE STABLES AT CRICHTON CASTLE
SIDE VIEW OF THE STABLES
FIELDS AROUND CRICHTON CASTLE
Rosslyn Chapel, properly named the Collegiate Chapel of St Matthew, was founded on a small hill above Roslin Glen as a Catholic collegiate church (with between four and six ordained canons and two boy choristers) in the mid-15th century. Rosslyn Chapel and the nearby Roslin Castle are located at the village of Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland
CLAIRE FAMILY MEMORIAL AT ROSSLYN CHAPEL
FRONT ENTRANCE ROSSLYN CHAPEL
CEMETARY BEHIND ROSSLYN CHAPEL
REMAINS OF ROSLIN CASTLE
CRAIGBRAE B&B GARDENS
CRAIGBRAE B&B KIRKLISTON SUBURB OF EDINBURGH
EDINBURGH AROUND PRINCES ST.
Jenners Department Store, now known simply as Jenners, is a department store located in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was the oldest independent department store in Scotland until its acquisition by House of Fraser in 2005
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott
GALLERY OF ARTS MUSEUM
VIEW OF EDINBURGH ON WAY TO THE CASTLE
WALKING TO EDINBURGH CASTLE
Standing proud at the corner of Market Street and North Bank Street on the Mound this bronze statue of a Black Watch soldier in Highland dress is dedicated
"To the Memory of Officers, Non- Commissioned Officers and Men of The Black Watch Who Fell In The South African War 1899 -1902"
EDINBURGH CASTLE ENTRANCE
EDINBURGH VIEW FROM CASTLE WALL
UPPER PORTION OF THE CASTLE
VIEW OF EDINBURGH FROM CASTLE
WALKING UP TO FOGG GATE-UPPER LEVEL OF THE CASTLE
The oldest building at Edinburgh Castle is St Margaret's Chapel (above), which survived various sieges due to its religious significance: it was probably requested by King David, following his mother's (Queen Margaret, d.1093) death at this site
NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL FRONT ENTRANCE
NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL
ANOTHER EDINBURGH VIEW FROM CASTLE
One O'Clock Gun. This is fired every day except Sunday at precisely 1pm, a wonderful city institution, a reminder to break for lunch.
ST MARGARETS CHAPEL
HEADQUARTERS OF THE ROYAL SCOTS
ST. GILES CATHEDRAL
ROYAL MILE-Tron Kirk, which was used as a church from 1648 until 1952.
CITY OBSERVATORY ON CALTON HILL
The City Observatory is an astronomical observatory on Calton Hill in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is also known as the Calton Hill Observatory.
The Dugald Stewart Monument is a memorial to the Scottish philosopher Dugald Stewart (1753–1828). It is situated on top of Calton Hill, overlooking Edinburgh city centre.
NELSON MONUMENT ON CALTON HILL
VIEW FROM CALTON HILL
The Nelson Monument is a commemorative tower in honour of Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, situated on top of Calton Hill, in Edinburgh
CITY OBSERVATORY #2
The Napoleon War Monument ("Parthenon") at Edinburgh
Built to commemorate the dead in the great napoleonic wars in the 19th century...unfortunately they ran out of funds before it was even half-finished!
CALTON HILL VIEW OF ARTHURS SEAT
Arthur's Seat is the main peak of the group of hills which form most of Holyrood Park, described by Robert Louis Stevenson as "a hill for magnitude, a mountain in virtue of its bold design". It is situated in the centre of the city of Edinburgh
HOLLYROOD CASTLE FROM CALTON HILL
Founded as a monastery in 1128, the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh is The Queen's official residence in Scotland. Situated at the end of the Royal Mile
The Balmoral is a luxury five-star hotel and landmark in Edinburgh, Scotland, known as the North British Hotel until the late 1980s. It is located in the heart of the city at the east end of Princes Street, the main shopping street beneath the Edinburgh Castle rock, and the southern edge of the New Town
FORTH RAILWAY BRIDGE FROM SOUTH QUEENSBURY
SAT ANDREWS CATHEDRAL IN ST ANDREWS
GRAVEYARD AT ST ANDREWS CATHEDRAL
THE NAVE AT ST ANDREWS CATHEDRAL
REAR VIW OF ST ANDREWS CATHEDRAL
ST ANDREWS CASTLE
VIEW OF NORTH SEA FROM sT ANDREWS CASTLE
ST ANDREWS OLE COURSE. CLOSED ON SUNDAY FOR PUBLIC WALKS
FAIRMONT HOTEL ON ST ANDREWS GOLF COURSE
SAND TRAP-YOUR NOT PUTTING OUT OF THIS
NEW COURSE 18TH HOLE
OLE COURSE FAIRWAY
OLE COURSE FIRST GREEN.
FOUND 6 BALLS IN ROUGH
PUBLIC WALK ON COURSE -DOGS INCLUDED
SCOTT MEMORIAL FROM TOUR BUS
TOUR BUS VIEW
CASTLE FROM TOUR BUS
STILL AROUND EVEN WITH CELL PHONES
Greyfriars Kirk, is a parish kirk (church) of the Church of Scotland in central Edinburgh, Scotland. The kirk stands on the site of a pre-Reformation establishment of the Franciscan order, the "Grey Friars".
It is one of the oldest surviving buildings built outside the Old Town of Edinburgh, having been begun in 1602 and completed circa 1620
GREYFRIAR KIRK CEMETARY
GRAVESITE AT GREYFRIAR KIRK
Greyfriars Bobby was a Skye Terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh for spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner, John Gray (Auld Jock), until he died himself on 14 January 1872. A year later, Lady Burdett-Coutts had a statue and fountain erected at the southern end of the George IV Bridge to commemorate him.
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF SCOTLAND
UNDERGROUND WINE CELLAR
JOHN KNOX HOUSE
Pittencrieff Park in Dunfermaline-gift of Andrew Carnegie
Pittencrieff Park in Dunfermaline-gift of Andrew Carnegie who as achild would often be thrown out of the local park
Pittencrieff Park in Dunfermaline-statue of Andrew Carnegie
Dunfermline Abbey is a Church of Scotland Parish Church located in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland. In 2002 the congregation had 806 members. The minister (since 1991) is the Reverend Alastair Jessamine. The church occupies the site of the ancient chancel and transepts of a large medieval Benedictine abbey, which was sacked in 1560
The Benedictine Abbey of the Holy Trinity and St Margaret, was founded in 1128 by King David I of Scotland, but the monastic establishment was based on an earlier foundation dating back to the reign of King Máel Coluim mac Donnchada (i.e. "Malcolm III" or "Malcolm Canmore", r. 1058-93) and his queen. At its head was an abbot, the first incumbent being Geoffrey of Canterbury, former prior of Christ Church, Canterbury, the Kent monastery that probably supplied Dunfermline's first monks. At the peak of its power it controlled four burghs, three courts of regality and a large portfolio of lands from Moray in the north down into Berwickshire.
Dunfermline Abbey, one of Scotland's most important cultural sites, has received more of Scotland’s royal dead than any other place in the kingdom, excepting Iona. One of the most notable non-royal names to be associated with the abbey is the northern renaissance poet, Robert Henryson. The tomb of Saint Margaret and Malcolm Canmore, within the ruined walls of the Lady chapel, was restored and enclosed by command of Queen Victoria.
was buried, in 1329, in the choir, now the site of the present parish church. Bruce’s heart rests in Melrose, but his bones lie in Dunfermline Abbey, where (after the discovery of the skeleton in 1818) they were reinterred with fitting pomp below the pulpit of the New church. In 1891 the pulpit was moved back and a monumental brass inserted in the floor to indicate the royal vault.
GRAVEYAD NEAR LOCH LEVEN
LOCH LEVEN CASTLE
Loch Leven Castle is a ruined castle on an island in Loch Leven, in the Perth and Kinross local authority area of Scotland. Possibly built around 1300, the castle was the location of military action during the Wars of Scottish Independence (1296–1357)
. Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned here in 1567–1568, and forced to abdicate as queen, before escaping with the help of her gaoler's family
Huntingtower Castle was built in stages from the 15th century by the Clan Ruthven family and was known for several hundred years as the 'House (or 'Place') of Ruthven'. In the summer of 1582, the castle was occupied by the 4th Lord Ruthven, who was also the 1st Earl of Gowrie, and his family. Gowrie was involved in a plot to kidnap the young King James VI, son of Mary, Queen of Scots. During 1582 Gowrie and his associates seized the young king and held him prisoner for 10 months. This kidnapping is known as the 'Raid ofRuthven' and the Protestant conspirators behind it hoped to gain power through controlling the king. James eventually escaped and actually forgave Gowrie, but after a second abortive attempt by Gowrie and others to overthrow him, Gowrie was finally executed and his property (including Huntingtower) was forfeited to the crown.
VIEW FROM HUNTINGTOWER
The site has been holy ground since about 730AD when Celtic missionaries, known as Culdees, built the first monastery here. The major development came in 848, when Kenneth MacAlpin, by then King of the Scots and of the Picts, rebuilt the original wattle buildings in red stone (see our Historical Timeline). Two years later Dunkeld became the religious centre of Scotland when the relics of St Columba were moved here from Iona in the face of increasing Viking attacks on the west coast.
The Cathedral is dedicated to St Columba. Its said that after their journey from Iona his relics were buried under the chancel steps to keep them safe. The dove motif, symbolic of St Columba's name, can be seen in both the East Window and on the specially woven chancel carpet.
Telford’s Bridge at Dunkeld is one of the greatest civil engineering feats of the 19th century
STREETS OF DUNKELD
SPEAN BRIDGE LODGE B&B
VIEW FROM FERRY
ferry permits direct access to Morvern, Moidart and Ardnamurchan, via the pretty village of Strontian
CORRAN FERRY LIGHTHOUSE
ON THE ROAD TO MOIDART
TRAFFIC IS BRUTAL
Loch Sunart (Scottish Gaelic Loch Shuaineart) is a sea loch on the west coast of Scotland. Loch Sunart runs west from the sea, bounded to the north by the Sunart district of Ardnamurchan and to the south by the [[Morvern]a brutta
SINGLE TRACK ROAD TO CASTLE TIORAM
INACCESSABLE AT HIGH TIDE
Castle Tioram (pronounced "Chee-rum" from Scottish Gaelic "Caisteal Tioram" meaning "dry castle") is a ruined castle that sits on the tidal island Eilean Tioram in Loch Moidart, Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. It is located west of Acharacle, approximately 80 km (50 mi) from Fort William. Though hidden from the sea, the castle controls access to Loch Shiel. It is also known to the locals as "Dorlin castle"
The castle is now in extremely poor condition and in 1998 was closed to the public at the request of Highland Council; a major structural collapse occurred at the north west curtain wall in 2000.
VIEW FROM CASTLE
Controversial proposals to restore the castle by the new owners, Anta Estates, were announced in 1997 and received planning consent from Highland Council. This included the creation of a clan centre/museum, domestic apartments, and public access. However, Historic Scotland refused Scheduled Monument Consent—a decision upheld after a local public inquiry.
HOME OF THE ANCESTRAL PETER GILLIS
A commemoration of the seven companions who accompanied Bonnie Prince Charlie on his voyage to Moidart in 1745.
ONLY THREE LEFT
The "Seven Men of Moidart"
Well, there were seven originally! These are the survivors of seven beech trees planted about 200 years ago to commemorate the seven men who accompanied Bonnie Prince Charlie on his way to raise his standard at Glenfinnan in 1745.
SOUND OF ARISAIG
HARRY POTTER VIADUCT OR
The Glenfinnan Monument situated here at the head of Loch Shiel was erected in 1815 to mark the place where Prince Charles Edward Stuart ("Bonnie Prince Charlie") raised his standard, at the beginning of the 1745 Jacobite Rising.
Prince Charles initially landed from France on Eriskay in the Western Isles. He then travelled to the mainland in a small rowing boat, coming ashore at Loch nan Uamh, just west of Glenfinnan. Here he was met by a small number of MacDonalds. He waited at Glenfinnan for a number of days as more MacDonalds, Camerons, McPhees and MacDonnells arrived. When he judged he had enough support, he climbed the hill and the McPhees raised his royal standard, on Monday 19 August 1745, and claimed the Scottish and the English thrones in the name of his father James Stuart ('the Old Pretender');
VIEW OF LOCH SHIEL FROM THE GLENNFINNAN MONUMENT
The first Episcopal church building in Fort William was erected in 1817 on the site of the present St Andrew's. It was known as the Rosse Chapel after the Countess of Rosse who was largely responsible for its being built. By 1876 it was already in a bad state of repair and the future looked bleak for the congregation until George Baynton Davey had the building demolished and replaced, very largely at his own expense, by the present St Andrew's . It is built of Abriachan granite, with a roof of Cumberland slate, and was designed by Dr Alexander Ross of Inverness. The building was consecrated on 9th September 1880. Known as "The Queen of Highland Churches" it is now a Category A listed building
STREETS OF FORT WILLIAM
Urquhart Castle Scottish Gaelic: Caisteal na Sròine) sits beside Loch Ness in Scotland along the A82 road, between Fort William and Inverness. It is close to the village of Drumnadrochit. Though extensively ruined, it was in its day one of the largest strongholds of medieval Scotland, and remains an impressive structure, splendidly situated on a headland overlooking Loch Ness. It is also near this castle that the majority of Nessie (Loch Ness Monster) sightings occur
The earliest history of the castle may begin in the time of St. Columba in the 6th century, when the predecessor of the castle may have been mentioned in Adomnán's Life of Columba: it is probably the site called Airchartdan, visited by Columba in the latter half of the sixth century during one of his visits to King Brude son of Maelchon of the northern Picts. Columba took the opportunity to convert Emchath, who was on his deathbed, and his son Virolec to Christianity.
SEARCHING FOR NESSIE
A trebuchet is a siege engine that was employed in the Middle Ages
VIEW OF LOCH NESS
VIEW OF URQUART CASTLE AND LOC NESS
SHOULD I EAT THIS OR NOT
Plodda Falls (Gaelic: Eas Ploda) is a waterfall, situated 5 km south-west of the village of Tomich, near Glen Affric, in the Highlands of Scotland. The falls are 46 m high, and are on the Allt na Bodachan, near where it flows into the Abhainn Deabhag, which in turn joins with the River Affric to form the River Glass.
POSSIBLE RETIREMENT HOME
GLEN COE --It lies in the southern part of the Lochaber committee area of Highland Council, and was formerly part of the county of Argyll. It is often considered one of the most spectacular and beautiful places in Scotland, and is a part of the designated National Scenic Area of Ben Nevis and Glen Coe. The narrow glen shows a grim grandeur. The glen, approac
The name Glen Coe is often said to mean "Glen of Weeping", perhaps with some reference to the infamous Massacre of Glencoe which took place there in 1692.
Most of the Glen is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland whose visitor centre has displays about both the natural and historical significance of the glen. The land was purchased by mountaineer and philanthropist Percy Unna, who then gave it to the trust on condition that it maintained the wild nature of the land. The building of a visitor centre caused some
Early in the morning of 13 February 1692, in the aftermath of the Glorious Revolution and the Jacobite uprising of 1689 led by John Graham of Claverhouse, a massacre took place in Glen Coe, in the Highlands of Scotland. This incident is referred to as the Massacre of Glencoe, or in Scottish Gaelic Mort Ghlinne Comhann (murder of Glen Coe). The massacre began simultaneously in three settlements along the glen—Invercoe, Inverrigan, and Achnacon—although the killing took place all over the glen as fleeing MacDonalds were pursued. Thirty-eight MacDonalds from the Clan MacDonald of Glencoe were killed by the guests who had accepted their hospitality, on the grounds that the MacDonalds had not been prompt in pledging allegiance to the new monarchs, William and Mary. Another forty women and children died of exposure after their homes were burned.
Inverlochy Castle is a ruined, 13th-century castle near Fort William, Scotland. The site of two battles, the castle remains largely unchanged since its construction. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.
Inverlochy Castle was built circa 1270-1280 by John "the Black" Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and Lochaber, and chief of the Clan Comyn. It may have been built on
Inverlochy is now a ruin, but is unusual because it has remained unaltered since it was built in the reign of King Alexander III. The castle is sited on the south bank of the River Lochy, at the strategically important entrance to the Great Glen, a key
The Commando Memorial is a Category A listed monument in Scotland, dedicated to the men of the original British Commando Forces raised during World War II. Situated around a mile from Spean Bridge village, it overlooks the training areas of the Commando Training Depot established in 1942 at Achnacarry Castle. Unveiled in 1952 by the Queen Mother, it has become one of Scotland's best-known monuments, both as a war memorial and as a tourist attraction offering views of Ben Nevis and Aonach Mòr.
Loch Lochy lies alongside the A82 route to Loch Ness and Inverness, and of course the route to Skye via Glen Morriston
Loch Cluanie (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Cluanaidh) is a loch in the Northwest Highlands of Scotland at the south-east end of Glen Shiel. It is a reservoir
Loch Cluanie -Next several pictures scenic road to isle of skye bridge
Eilean Donan (Scottish Gaelic: Eilean Donnain) is a small island in Loch Duich in the western Highlands of Scotland. It is connected to the mainland by a footbridge and lies about half a mile from the village of Dornie. Eilean Donan (which means simply "island of Donnán") is named after Donnán of Eigg, a Celtic saint martyred in 617. Donnán is said to have established a church on the island, though no trace of this remains.
The island is dominated by a picturesque castle which is familiar from many photographs and appearances in film and television. The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, but was destroyed in the eighteenth century. The present buildings are the result of twentieth-century reconstruction. Eilean Donan Castle is the home of the Clan Macrae.
LOCH DUICH-LOW TIDE
BRIDGE TO EILEAN DONAN
VIEW FROM EILEAN DONAN CASTLE TOWARD LOCH DUICH
VIEWS FROM EILEAN DONAN
ON THE ROAD TO PORTREE
VIEW FROM THE GABLES B&B TO PORTREE HARBOR ISLE OF SKYE
THE GABLES B&B
PORTREE CAPITAL ISLE OF SKYE
DRIVING NORTH ON ISLE OF SKYE-STORM COMING IN
ISLE OF SKYE VIEW
Duntulm Castle stands ruined on the north coast of Trotternish, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, near the hamlet of Duntulm. During the 17th century it was the seat of the chiefs of Clan MacDonald of Sleat.
VIEW FROM DUNTOLM CASTLE
The castle was built in the 14th and 15th centuries, when the area was subject to feuds between the rival MacLeod and Macdonald clans. The defences were improved in the 16th century, and by the early 17th century the Macdonald's had finally gained the upper hand in the area.
The ruins of the castle are now in a very poor condition, with major falls of masonry as recently as 1990.
GRAVE OF FLORA MCDONALD
In the aftermath of the Battle of Culloden in 1746, Flora MacDonald helped save Bonnie Prince Charlie from Government forces, bringing him safely over the sea to Skye.
After the failure of the Jacobite Rising of 1745 and the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobite Army at the Battle of Culloden, the Prince spent months on the run in the Highlands and Islands before escaping to France.
One of those who came to his aid was Flora MacDonald, then a young woman in her early twenties.
Flora MacDonald's Grave, Isle of Skye, Scotland: Memorial to Jacobite Heroine & Helper of Bonnie Prince Charlie
Dunvegan Castle is a castle a mile and a half to the North of Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye, situated off the West coast of Scotland. It is the seat of the MacLeod of MacLeod, chief of the Clan MacLeod. Dunvegan Castle is the oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland and has been the stronghold of the chiefs of the clan for 800 years.
The story of Dunvegan Castle is intimately linked to the story of the Chiefs of Clan MacLeod who, apart from during an 80 year period after the potato famine of 1847-1850, have lived here throughout the eight centuries of its recorded existence. The result is an amazingly complex building which, under a unifying "Romantic Restoration" commissioned by the 25th Chief in the 1840s, comprises a series of distinct buildings which can be traced back to 10 different periods of building
VIEW FROM DUNVEGAN CASTLE
RUINS OF ST MARY'S CHURCH DUNVEGAN
GRAVE YARD AT ST MARY'S DUNVEGAN
FERRY TO MARISAIG OFF THE ISLE OF SKYE
VIEW FROM FERRY OF ISLE OF SKYE
VIEW OF MAINLAND FROM THE FERRY
VIEW FROM FERRY
WWI memorial in Glencoe
Loch Leven, in the Glen Coe area, is a salt water loch connected to Loch Linhe, a sea loch.
WATER FALL IN GLEN COE
Built for the Regent Albany, Doune Castle is a magnificent late 14th century courtyard castle.
Its most striking feature is the 100ft high gatehouse which includes the splendid Lord's Hall with its musicians' gallery, double fireplace and carved oak screen.
Scenes from Monty Python's Holy Grail were filmed at Doune Castle
View of Doune countryside from Doune Castle
CASTLECROFT B&B IN STIRLING
a regular feature in Scottish trivia quizzes as the answer to the question "What's the only lake in Scotland?" It is arguable that the correct answer to that question is that there are no lakes in Scotland: there just happens to be a loch called "the Lake of Menteith".
VIEW OF CHURCH OF SCOTLAND FROM LOCH MENTEITH
BOAT OUT TO INCHMAHONE PRIORY ON AN ISLAND IN LAKE MENTEITH
Set on an island in the Lake of Menteith, Inchmahome is an idyllically-situated Augustinian monastery dating from 1238. Much of the 13th century building remains.
VIEW FROM THE ISLAND ON LAKE MENTEITH
CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PORT OF MENTEITH
GRAVEYARD IN CHURCH OF SCOTLAND MENTEITH
ON THE ROAD TO KILCHURN CASTLE
TRAIN BRIDGE OVER RIVER ORCHY
Kilchurn Castle was built in about 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy, as a five storey tower house with a courtyard defended by an outer wall. By about 1500 an additional range and a hall had been added to the south side of the castle. Further buildings went up during the 16th and 17th centuries. Kilchurn was on a small island in Loch Awe
GLENCOE MOUNTAINS FROM KILCHURN CASTLE
Kilchurn Castle is a ruined 15th and 17th century structure on a rocky peninsula at the northeastern end of Loch Awe, in Argyll and Bute, Scotland.
COURTYARD KILCHURN CASTLE
VIEW FROM KILCHURN CASTLE
VIEW OF LOCH AWE FROM KILCHURN CASTLE
It is the third largest freshwater loch in Scotland with a surface area of 38.5 square kilometres (14.9 sq mi). It is the longest freshwater loch in Scotland, measuring 41 kilometres (25 mi) from end to end with an average width of 1-kilometre (0.62 mi
LOCH AWE FROM KILCHURN CASTLE
GLENCOE IN THE DISTANCE FROM CASTLE KILCHURN
At the turn of the 16th century Kilchurn Castle was extended by Sir Duncan Campbell with the addition of a single storey dining hall built along the inside of the south curtain. During the second half of the century, another Sir Colin Campbell, the 6th Laird, continued to improve the castle's accommodation by adding some chambers to the north of the tower house, and remodelling the parapet. This included the introduction of the circular corner turrets adorned by corbels, most of which have survived remarkably well.
Towards the end of the 16th century the Clan MacGregor of Glenstrae were occupying the castle. Once owning the lands of Glenorchy during the 14th century, until they passed through marriage to the Campbells, the MacGregors were appointed keepers to Kilchurn Castle as the Campbells spent much of their time at Fincharn. This arrangement lasted until the very early part of the 17th century, when a violent feud between the two families brought it to an end and the Campbells retook possession.
ANOTHER VIEW FROM CASTLE KILCHURN
STORM OVER LOCH AWE
APPROACH TO KILCHURN CASTLE
WALKING BACK TO THE CAR
STORMS COMING (DAILY OCCURRENCE)
LOOKING UP AT STIRLING CASTLE
VIEW OF DOWNTOWN STIRLING FROM THE CASTLE
VIEW FROM STIRLING CASTLE
VIEW OF WALLACE MEMORIAL FROM STIRLING CASTLE
ROBERT THE BRUCE STATUE AT STIRLING CASTLE
STATUE OF ROBERT THE BRUCE
MEMORIAL TO THE BOER WAR
The Boer Wars was the name given to the South African Wars of 1880-1 and 1899-1902, that were fought between the British and the descendants of the Dutch settlers (Boers) in Africa.
The Cemetery has a Pyramid, built by William Drummond in 1863.
He commissioned the Star Pyramid from William Barclay in 1863 . The Pyramid is dedicated to all those who suffered martyrdom in the cause of civil and religious liberty in Scotland.
THE OLD TOWN CEMETARY
Spreading over the valley between the Castle and the Church of the Holy Rude, the cemetery has three distinct parts. Many merchants’ and craftsmen’s tombs in the historic kirkyard beside the Church carry the carved symbols of their trades.
This is Scotland's finest surviving 17th century townhouse. The recreated rooms reflect the opulent taste and lifestyle of its owners from William Alexander ‘the father of Nova Scotia’ to the powerful Argyll family. Painted ceilings, tapestries, four poster beds and period furnishings are the setting for the story of the house, told by costumed performers in summer.
The Martyrs Monument
The three figures represent an angel keeping watch over two young girls, one of whom is reading the Bible to the other. The reader is Margaret Wilson, the listener is her younger sister Agnes. Such is the logic of legend that they are known locally as the ‘Mary Martyrs’.
STIRLING CASTLE FROM THE OLD CEMETARY
Beside the Valley Cemetery, laid out in the 1850s, is Drummond’s Pleasure Ground with its statues of Protestant heroes and martyrs. There are great views from the Ladies’ Rock where the women of the court used to admire their knights’ prowess in the tournaments held in the valley below
STIRLING CASTLE VIEW FROM CEMETARY
Old Town Cemetery
This is no ordinary graveyard. The famous poet William Wordsworth was so moved by it that he wrote 'We know of no sweeter cemetery in all of our wanderings than that of Stirling.'
ROYAL PALACE FROM THE QUEENS GARDEN
James V’s Palace at Stirling is one of the finest and best-preserved Renaissance buildings in Great Britain. Following a major programme of research and re-presentation, it can now be seen by visitors much as it may have looked on completion around 1545.
BROAD STREET CANNONS
THE GREAT HALL AT STIRLING CASTLE
Most historians agree that the Great Hall at Stirling Castle was the work of James IV, and built during the years 1501 to 1504. James had already built what is now called the King's Old Building on the west side of the Inner Close: the Great Hall was intended to provide a fitting venue for his state occasions.
ROYAL PALACE-GARDEN VIEW
STIRLING CASTLE ENTRANCE
ROYAL CHAPEL AT STIRLING CASTLE
It is likely that there has been a chapel within Stirling Castle for as long as there has been a castle here. Indeed, the earliest evidence for a castle was the investiture of a chapel within it by Alexander I in 1110. There are frequent later references to chapels at Stirling Castle, and at times it seems possible that there might have been more than one
ROYAL PALACE FROM COURTYARD
The ceiling of the King’s Presence Chamber was originally decorated with a series of carved oak portrait roundels known as the Stirling Heads, described as "among the finest examples of Scottish Renaissance wood-carving now extant." The carvings were taken down following a ceiling collapse in 1777, and of an estimated 56 original heads, 38 survive.
STIRLING HEADS REPRODUCTIONS IN STIRLING CASTLE
VIEW FROM WALLACE MONUMENT
Cambuskenneth Abbey is a ruined Augustinian monastery located on an area of land enclosed by a meander of the River Forth near Stirling in Scotland. The abbey is largely reduced to its foundations. T
In 1486 Margaret of Denmark died at nearby Stirling Castle and was buried at the abbey. In 1488 her husband King James the Third was murdered at the Battle of Sauchieburn and his body was brought to Cambuskenneth Abbey for burial. The elaborate marker of his grave, which was funded by Queen Victoria, is still visible at one end of the church.
Cambuskenneth Abbey was founded by order of King David I around the year 1140. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it was initially known as the Abbey of St Mary of Stirling and sometimes simply as Stirling Abbey.
TOMB OF KING JAMES III
The abbey fell into disuse during the Scottish Reformation. By 1559 there were few monks remaining there, and the abbey was closed and most of the buildings looted and burned. The abbey was placed under the jurisdiction of the military governor of Stirling Castle, who had much of the stonework removed and used in construction projects in the castle.
The Parish Church, Holy Trinity, is mostly 18th Century, but has been a place of worship since the 13th Century. It is Cumbria's largest parish church, and one of the largest in England, having five aisles, two each side of the nave, a fine western tower, and a peel of ten bells. At the end of the 18th Century, it was supposed to hold as large a congregation as almost any church in the Kingdom, about 1200 people.