Pioneering Canadian aviator Roland Groome, who received Canadian commercial pilot's licence No. 1 in 1920. He and a partner set up Regina's Aerial Service Co. in 1919; their Canadian-built Curtiss JN-4 (Can) Canuck was registered G-CAAA.
Another view of the aeroplanes, hangars and personnel of Regina's pioneering Aerial Service Co.
DH-60 Gipsy Moths, likely from the Moose Jaw Flying Club. (via Will Chabun)
A fine evening shot of the old Rosedale Airport on the west side of Moose Jaw, likely during the early 1930s. These hangars were the home of an aircraft overhaul facility (or Cessna Cranes) run by Prairie Airways Ltd. during the Second World War, but it eventually fell into disuse as an airport. At least one of these hangar still survives as the home of a boat dealership after many years as a storage facility for the federal government's Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration.
American-registered Consolidated Commodore flying boat at what is reported to have been Waskewiu Lake in 1942 or '43. This aircraft, predecessor of the famed PBY-5 Catalina/Canso series, later burned to the waterline at a lake in northern BC. Photo via Henry Reddekopp of Regina.
One of the many murals in Moose Jaw salutes the late S/L Ken Brown, who at the time of his death in 2002 was the last surviving pilot from the epic 1943 "Dambusters" raid by the RAF's 617 Squadron.
Remnant of the hull of a provincial government Vickers Vedette found in northern Saskatchewan and now resting in the Moose Jaw branch of the Western Development Museum. (Photo: Will Chabun)
Canadian-built Vickers Vedette in RCAF markings on a lake in northern Saskatchewan during the late 1920s or early 1930s. This photo was spotted and photographed in a forester's hut in the vicinity of "Zeden Lake". Zeden ... ZN. See the connection? The RCAF patrolled the skies over the forests of Albert, Manitoba and Saskatchewan in those days before the provinces assumed control of their natural resources as a result of a 1930 deal with the rascally feds. (Via Will Chabun)
Assorted aircraft of the Ford Reliability Air Tour at the Regina Municipal Airport on the day when the tour stopped in the Queen City in the summer of 1930. The tour's stop was part of an event marking the official opening of the airport. Can any specialist in "golden age" aviation tell us about the identity of these aircraft?
Avro Avian light aeroplane on floats on the shore of Regina's Wascana Lake. (Via Will Chabun)
Beech 18 CF-BKN of Moose Jaw-based Prairie Airways after a minor "prang" in the late 1930s or early 1940s. Prairie Airways was a private company "spun off" from the highly successful Moose Jaw Flying Club in 1938; the two Beech 18s arrived in 1938 and flew a route that went from Moose Jaw to Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert and North Battleford before returning and connecting with the east-west service of Trans-Canada Airlines. Still intact, this aircraft currently resides in the Pima County Air Museum at Tucson, Arizona. (Via Bill Cameron.)
'BKN's stablemate, CF-BKO, in the Beech Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma, Tennessee.
'BKN's stablemate, CF-BKO, in the Beech Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma, Tennessee. (Via Cher Hogan)
Phkotok of Prairie Airways' CF-BKO during the Second World War. As this came from the collection of Jack Ambler, who trained at Moose Jaw's 32 SFTS, it probably was taken in the spring or summer of 1943.
Rare shot of an Anson from the RCAF's 3 Air Observer School at Regina early in the Second World War. Green/brown camouflauge with trainer yellow panels, as per standard RCAF practice at that early stage of the Second World War. Serial number appears to be 6072. (Via Gordon Elmer)
Anson II at Mossbank's 2 Bombing and Gunnery School (2B&G). Yellow overall. (Via Arnie Olafsen.)
Fine night shot of Ansons in a hangar at Mossbanks 2 B&G School (via Arni Olafsen)
Deep winter snow at Mossbank's 2 B&G School. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Eclectic collection of aircraft on the ramp at Mossbank's 2 B&G School. Left to right are a Bolingbroke, Douglas Boston transient and a Harvard. Mossbank normally operated Fairey Battles and Ansons, with the Battles eventually replaced by Canadian-built Bristol Bolingbokes. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Deep mud at 2 B&G School at Mossbank. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Fine shot of a Bolingbroke gunnery trainer at Mossbank's 2 B&G School. Yellow overall with black numerals. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Ansons at 2 B&G School. (Via Arni Olafsen)
2 B&G School Anson. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Fine night-time shot of a 2 B&G School Anson. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Typical barracks at 2 B&G School, Mossbank. (Via Arni Olafsen.)
Fairey Battle gunnery trainer from 2 B&G School, Mossbank.
Lockheed 14 of Trans-Canada Airlines (TCA) at the Regina Airport at some date between the airport terminal building's opening in February 1940 and the Lockheeds' replacement on this east-west route by Douglas DC-3s around 1947.
Rare colour shot of a Norseman wearing the "SA" registration of Saskatchewan Government Airways which existed from 1947-65. Overall colour appears to be black, not dark blue. Photo source unknown.
Fairchild Husky of the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance at Regina in the late 1940s. Photo taken by the late Everett Baker; his collection of slides now resides in the collection of the Saskatchewan History and Folklore Society in Regina. Though the early days of the Air Ambulance are generally associated with the Noorduyn Norseman and the Cessna 195, the Husky, with its all-metal construction, was purchased in the late 1940s, but wasn't deemed suitable and was soon sold.
Floatplanes on Lac La Ronge, as depicted on a colour postcard of that era.
More from La Ronge's old airfield.
Bell 47 helicopter flown by Prince Albert's Athabaska Airways in the spring of 1973 at the Regina Airport. Sorry, no idea of the registration. (Photo by Will Chabun.)
Stinson lightplane flown by Regina's Kramer Tractor in the late 1970s and early '50s. (Via Murray Grant.)
B-25 Mitchell trainer from the RCAF's 1 Advanced Flying School at Saskatoon in the late 1950s or early '60s. (Photo: Canadian Forces)
Harvard II AJ731 from RCAF Station Moose Jaw's 2 Flying Training School. The markings tell us this was taken before the RCAF discontinued the use of code letters and the red/white/blue fin flash in the late 1950s, but after the station's opening in 1952.
CT-114A Tutor of Moose Jaw's 2 FTS some time between 1965 (when the new Canadian flag was applied to the tail) and 1968 (when "RCAF" was replaced by "CAF".) Note the crest that preceded the familiar "Big Two" version: it's a dark blue shield bearing a red lightning flash and the letters "M" and "J".
Harvard IV on pylon at 15 Wing Moose Jaw (Photo by Will Chabun.)
Ex-Snowbirds Tutor s/n 114078 mounted in the spring of 2010 at the tourism office on the north side of Moose Jaw (photo by Will Chabun)
Saskatchewan Government Tracker firefighting tanker at the Prince Albert Airport in 2006. Note how a white colour scheme has replaced the earlier yellow scheme. One source said this was intended to make firefighting aircraft more visible to other aircraft operating above fires in Saskatchewan, which (due to the nature of vegetation there) usually produce yellow smoke.
British Aerospace CT-155 Hawk of NATO Flying Training in Canada (NFTC) / 2 FTS at 15 Wing Moose Jaw. Note that the overall colour is dark blue, rather than the black sometimes cited by av-buffs. (Photo by Will Chabun.)
Civilian Boeing chinook spotted at the Regina airport in 2010. Photo by Will Chabun