Original worksite. The lumber on the right is from the old swingset/playhouse. I hope to reuse some of it.
Removed the mulch and landscaping cloth and started digging holes for footers. Along the way I had to dig out a couple of rotting stumps.
I used 12" waxed concrete tubes for the footings. They are dug about 2.5 to 3 feet deep.
This is about a third of the concrete I used for the footings. HEAVY!
There were a few weeks between the pouring of the first three footings and steeling myself to dig the last ones. There hadn't been any rain and the ground was much harder - I had to use water to soften the ground before digging it out of the hole.
Getting ready to build a form for the curved beams.
The form for the starboard beam.
In the immortal words of a family friend, "You can never have too many clamps." (You were right Mr. Taylor, I ran out.)
The first strip is screwed to the form with 1" screws. The second strip is now glued to the first strip and held on with clamps. I ended up putting screws in that one too.
First beam is finished, turned form upside down to use for second beam.
This was an incredibly hot day.
Top shot of finished beam. I had to trim it up with the circular saw (a very dirty job)
Both port and starboard beams now finished!
Both beams finished.
Annie working on securing the first post.
Now that the posts are up, how are we going to get those beams up there?
I "walked" them up by building a little elevator onto the posts, lifting each end one foot at a time.
Hooray! the first beam is up and secured with some steel angle.
I cut the forward and aft posts to match the curve of the beam, then added a steel "T" plate on each beam. The second beam has been trimmed with the circular saw and we are ready to hoist it up next weekend.
A forest of temporary supports.
The following weekend, I trimmed up the second beam and raised it on the other three posts. It went a lot easier this time.
I just love the look of the curved beams!
The starboard beam sagged in the front, so I'm propping it up with a 2x4. Hopefully keeping it will adjust shape. I'll be adding some steel reinforcement to hold it in that position later.
Annie and I built a ladder out of some scraps. I'm thinking that the permanent entrance will be a further toward the stern and use a ship's ladder (at an angle)
You can see the steel reinforcements here.
The view from the top.
The structure sways from front to back pretty easily. I experimented with these 2x4 braces, but I plan to use some wire rope and turnbuckles to make cross bracing underneath. Its too bad because I wanted to keep the bottom as open as possible.
Main deck support is in place October 2010
Bowsprit attached. We fretted over the right angle.
Bowsprit and masts attached.
I didn't take too many pictures in the interim. This was taken around May 19, 2012