In order to get the inverted shape in the middle, I started by creating a cone.
The cone sitting up.
The Cone "held together by duct tape"
Flattening out the cone tomake it for cylinderlike.
The shape of the pattern once the cone was layed flat. This will be the base of the pattern
The traced pattern of the mock-up. The top portion will be smaller then the bottom portion, I drafted that using the dotted line.
I traced the size of the top portion off of the dashed bottom portion area. I also found the center line of the bottom portion. I then cut out the top portion piece and lined it up with the line on the bottom portion. The top was also shorter then the bottom, so I removed a bit from the top portion
The first pattern finished.
The first pattern cut out
The first pattern, constructed up. I needed to "fix" the shape of the top piece just a smidge. I used fabric mock up techniques, taping the paper together untill it looked about right.
The semi finished mock-up. Almost happy with the shape/look
The current mock-up in the background and what the shape looks like in the foreground.
I wanted it to close a little more then it was in the front, so I used modern fabric mockup techniques again, adding extra paper where I wanted it to close.
Here you can see the angles I was doing in the front.
Now time for a bottom the the quiver. I viewed the images as having the quiver more oblong then circular. Therefore I taped the mockup down in the shape I wanted.
The full size patern of the quiver and the bottom. Each square is 1 1/4 inch
The quiver pattern laid out on the leather.
The finished tool quiver
Detail of the bottom of the tooled border. Design taken from the 14th century Lutrell Psalter
Detail of the bottom tooling
Detail of the Diamond. Taken from both the 14th century Lutrell Psalter as well as the Quiver design from Tacuinum Sanitatis, Fol. 48v
Detail of the diamond tooling.
Detail of the tooling of the flower
Inspiration for the center diamond.
Inspiration from 14th century tooling
Inspiration for quiver design
Inspiration for borderwork
Creating a Coffee Dye for the leather
Creating a Dye from Madder Root
Simmering Madder Root
Mixing Copper in with water for a mordant.
The leather samples. 1/2 without a mordant, 1/2 with Copper Mordant
Creating a Tumeric Dye
Creating a cabbage dye from red cabbage.
Creating a cabbage dye.
The blackberry dye
Creating a Spinach dye
The cabbage dye
The spinach dye
Straining the Cabbage Mush
Straining the Red Madder Root.
Straining the Coffee
Straining the Tumeric
Red Sandalwood Sawdust
The Strained Dyes
Madder root, Coffee, tummeric
blackberry, Quebracho, Sandalwood
Cabbage, Spinach, Weld
Madder Root, Coffee, Tumeric
Yellow Tumeric leaves. Pink raspberry flowers
Yellow Flower, Coffee Background, Iron diamond
Tumeric- yellow flowers, yellow leaves
Iron mordant diamonds
Coffee-light brown background
Mordant the lines.
Pink flowers using Quebracho powder.
Cabbage ontop of the mordant diamond
Small Flowers- blackberries, Quebracho, Sandalwood
Large Flower- Tumeric
Diamond and Borders- Copper Mordant Cabbage
leaves- yellow tumeric
background of diamond- coffee & tumeric
Copper Mordant Weld Background. Quebracho, Sandalwood, and blackberry flowers. Tumeric leaves.
Mordant Cabbage border, and Mordant Weld background
Copper Mordant Weld inside.
2nd layer of Green- Now a mix of spinach and Weld in a copper base.
Rinse of Purple Onion Dye over the Green Weld/Copper dye. Buffying off extra dye and sediment. (Left Side)
2nd coat of Weld/Copper/Spinach dye
Weld dyed sinew, lacing up the quiver. Used orange sinew to hold the shape to help lace it up.