Photos of Mantova (Mantua)
Nun on Bike
The Arengario arch (c1300) was built to connect the Palazzo del Podestà to the Masseria. The windows and loggetta above the arch were used to make public proclamations. Underneath the arch are four hooks where people could be suspended for the torture of being shaken on ropes.
Palazzo del Podestà was damaged by fire several times and rebuilt and remodelled several times. The changed windows is evident here, and also indicates a rather clumsy architect (imho).
Palazzo del Podestà built in 1227 by the Podestà family who ruled Mantova, and it was the seat of government at that time.
Leading into an internal courtyard of the Palazzo del Podestà, the Sottoportico dei Lattonai shows this delightful late Gothic staircase.
This little statue is a detail from the Palazzo del Podestà. Known as the Edicola di Virgilio, it is supposed to be the poet Virgil dressed and capped as a doctor.
Torre dell’Orologio (clock tower) on Piazza dei Signorii. Built in 1472/3 by Luca Fancelli, the clock was installed in 1493 by Bartolomeo Manfredi. The clock shows hours, phases of the Moon, signs of the Zodiac and positions of the stars.
Palazzo della Ragione (Palace of Reason) on the Piazza dell Erbe. Built in 1250 but subsequently badly damaged in a fire in 1420 which destroyed many Giotto Frescoes. Built to administer justice (reason) it is now a civic property used as a museum and exhibition centre.
Rotonda di San Lorenzo, built in the late 11th century to a similar design of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem and dedicated to San Lorenzo
Basilica di Sant'Andrea begun in 1472 and the earlier belltower from 1414
Basilica di Sant'Andrea facade designed by Alberti on the theme of a Roman triumphal arch. Notice the novel use of giant unfluted pilasters above a lower order of much shorter fluted corinthian columns
Basilica di Sant'Andrea coffered ceiling, believed part of Alberti's original designed but subsequently completed only as a painted effect
Basilica di Sant'Andrea showing the nave looking back to the entrance with the rose window at the top. the outline of the entrance wall mirrors the design of the facade on the reverse side
Basilica di Sant'Andrea interior showing the large barrel vault the first use of such a roofing method since Roman antiquity.The coffered ceiling is in fact painted on as this was cheaper to build than Alberti's coffer.
Basilica di Sant'Andrea coffered entrance ceiling. It is believed that this should have been extended into the main vault, but for cheapness was built as a painted efeect instead
Basilica di Sant'Andrea showing the dome which was added 1732-82, the lateral arms had been added and the crypt finished by 1597
Basilica di Sant'Andrea showing the dome which was designed by Filippo Juvarra and completed 1732-1782
The Bishop’s Palace was built between 1776 and 1786 for the Bianchi family, but it became a palace for Bishops in 1823. Two marble telamons support the marble balcony
In 1273 Pinamonte Bonacolsi siezed power in Mantua (for 50 years) and built the Palazzo Bonacolsi (or Castiglioni Palace) on Piazza Sordello. The 'battlements' are Ghibelline merlons which display support for the Imperial Rome rather than the Papacy. The Gonzagas
killed Rinaldo Bonacolsii in 1328 (and this palace may have been built by them) and in 1808 it has been property of the Castiglione family
The Palazzo Ducale is actually made up of many buildings, here can be seen the low Domus Magna (left) and the impressive Palazzo del Capitano (right). Both built as the 13th century turned 14th and designed by Guido (Battistella) Bonacolsii. The 6 large Gothic windows were remodelled by Gonzagas replacing previous round windows
Duomo di Mantova, originates from a rebuilding completed in 1401, which was further rebuilt after a fire in 16th century, and then given a new Carrara Baroque facade in 1756-61
Piazza Sordello in Mantua showing Palazzo Castiglioni (or Palazzo Bonacolsi) - right, the Tower of the Gabbia (centre)
Piazza Sordello in Mantua showing Acerbi Palace, a Bonacolsi palace, and above it the Torre del Gabbia
Torre del Gabbia, the 'Tower of the Cage' in Mantova. The external cage was erected in 1576 as a punishment cell by the Gonzagas
Walking from Piazza Sordello towards Piazza Broletto, once through the old town gate (Voltone di San Pietro), there is a row of Renaissance porticos. Each column and capital is different and comes from didderent periods and places.
A row of Renaissance porticos, npw housing shops