The Revd Arthur Hyde (1819-1905) father of Douglas Hyde, spent most of his clerical career in the diocese of Elphin, where he was rector of Tibohine (Frenchpark) 1866-1905, and where Douglas was born. ©Courtesy Douglas Sealy
Douglas Hyde, charcoal drawing by Sadbh Trench (1891-1918), another founder member of the Irish Guild of the Church, and the granddaughter of Archbishop Richard Chevinix Trench. © Courtesy Douglas Sealy
Anne Beatrice (Ethne) Culverwell (1890-1982) at the age of 26 - in 1916. Note she wears a large Tara brooch. © Courtesy Revd Martin Hilliard
Douglas Hyde translation of St Patrick’s Breastplate as posted to Miss Culverwell, November-December 1915, RCB Library MS 163
Ethne Culverwell’s explanation of the translation story that accompanies the postcards, written in 1980, MS 163
Nuala Hyde (1894-1916), as she was shortly before her death in 1916, charcoal drawing Sadbh Trench © Courtesy Douglas Sealy
MS 163.5b Note that this final postcard was re-directed from the family home in Howth to Leeson Street, where aunts of Miss Culverwell lived and where she must have been staying (information from the Revd Martin Hilliard).
Printed notice under title “Eaglais na n-Éireann” circulated to give notice about the new society ‘to promote the objects of the Irish Revival amongst Irish Churchpeople’, MS 131/1.
Minute of preliminary meeting of the new society held in the vestry room of St Ann’s church, Dawson Street, Dublin, 22 January 1914, to which Hyde, among others, sent apologies, MS 131/1.
St Ann’s Church, Dawson Street, Dublin. www.stann.dublin.anglican.org
Inaugural meeting of the Irish Guild of the Church, held in St Ann’s parish room at the Diocesan Schools, Molesworth Street, 29 April 1914, with the Bishop of Tuam in the chair. Note Sir Roger Casement was among those sending apologies, MS 131/1.
Church of Ireland Gazette report of the inaugural meeting, 15 May 1914.
Diocesan School Buildings on corner of Molesworth Street with Dawson Street, Dublin. © Courtesy Irish Architectural Archive
Later demolition (in 1978) of the Diocesan School Buildings. View is from Molesworth Street - note the former Royal Hibernian Hotel on the opposite side of Dawson Street. EU House is now located on the site. © Courtesy Irish Architectural Archive
Minutes of the Irish Guild of the Church recording work on the Irish hymnal in preparation by the Dean of St Patrick’s [Very Revd C.T. Ovenden] and Miss [Úna] Young and preliminary arrangements to hold the monthly Irish service in St Patrick’s Cathedral, 3 July 1914, MS 131/1.
Minute recording paper read by Miss Eithne Culverwell Sen. Mod. B.A., on ‘Ancient Irish Literature’, and subsequent discussion led by Dr Douglas Hyde, 21 October 1914, MS 131/1.
Advertisement inviting the public to the first AGM of the Guild, April 1915, Church of Ireland Gazette, 11 February 1915.
Report of the first AGM of the Guild, Church of Ireland Gazette, 26 April 1915, alluding to growing numbers and identity dilemmas.
Title page of the Duanaire Diada (Dundalk, 1916)
Foreword to Duanaire Diada
Table of contents to the Duanaire Diada and verses 1-4 of the ‘Lúireach Padraig’ or a Breastplate of Patrick as translated by Hyde.
Minute recording that the Bishop of Tuam and Archbishop of Dublin had sanctioned the Dunaire Diada ‘for use in their dioceses’, MS 131/1.
Very Revd C.T. Ovenden, Dean of St Patrick’s who initiated the monthly services in Irish at the cathedral in 1916.
The Lady Chapel in St Patrick’s where the Guild’s early services in Irish were held.
Title page of the English version of the Dánta Dé (Dublin, 1928), compiled by Úna Young but brought into print after her death by Douglas Hyde.
Hyde’s autograph on the RCB Library copy of the Dánta Dé
The English translation of Hyde’s version of the Lorica (Breastplate) as published in the Dánta Dé
Letter from Hyde, Adelaide Road, Dublin, to Hugh Lawlor, Dean of St Patrick’s Cathedral 1924-37, in which he reveals his role in seeing the Dánta Dé ‘through the press’, 1928, MS 38/42a.
Same letter continued in which Hyde compliments Young’s work and ‘remarkable nature poetry’, MS 38/42a.
St Ann’s church was the parish church in Dublin to which Douglas Hyde belonged. In this family photograph he is pictured with his wife Lucy (left), daughter Una (right) and guests at Una’s wedding to James Sealy in 1927, outside St Ann’s. © Courtesy Douglas Sealy
As president of Ireland, 1938-45, Hyde’s image became a popular postcard in circulation during his term of office, © Courtesy Douglas Sealy
Journal of the General Synod of the Church of Ireland recording the gift of the postcards to the Library and Ecclesiastical Records Committee by Mrs Beatrice Hamilton, (1981) p. 44.
Beatrice Hamilton (alias Ethne Culverwell)
Beatrice Hamilton in 1980