Side panel of what will become hull 373, xPDent, clamped to layout bench for bending chine logs. This bench will soon be upgraded into my 4x8 "Everything Bench," which greatly simplifies building.
Chine log clamped and screwed. I used air dried white pine, which bent easily but tended to force some warp into the plywood.
Two panels now drying. This is out of doors, on my shop deck.
Threat of rain, so moved project into porch, where I made much dust....Mast step installed in bow. Can be adapted to many masts and rakes.
Basic hull, bow panel to go.
Hull 373: "xPDent." In Primer--2 coats.
The lauan deck being fitted. Snapped into place very nicely, within 1/16 inch.
Side decks and support members being fitted.
Ready to transport to St Mikes. Deck is cut, but not attached. Lightening/attachment holes are just visible in the "ribs."
On the bow of my powerboat for trip from the island to the marina and my trailer. (Boat is a KMV 528CC)
Here is PDRacer 373, xPDent, with a temporary lee board and sail rig. Pronounce it 'ex-pee-dee-ent.'
Rigging an old sail, WAAAY too small.
Careful launch. This rudder works fine but doesn't kick up.
Slow, with the small sail and light air, but it "goes where it looks" and behaves very well. Drew many positive comments.
Leeboard is an old Sunfish daggerboard. OK shape, but on the small side.
Explaning the few tools we will use to build the next hull, #374. The 'Everything Bench" is easily seen. It is a 4x8 sheet of osb mounted 24" high and carefully leveled. Used for clamping and aligning the hull, and for cutting plywood.
3 people to set up one saw...
Fitting chine logs ripped from a 2x4. Boat took 4 2x4s for hull, 2 16-footers for mast, a 10 footer for sprit. That and plywood came to around $100.
We got everyone into the act.
Fine points of glue spreading being explained.
Yes, we used an air stapler and 7/8" galvanized staples to assemble hull panels. Works very well.
Another view of bench, with bulkheads being assembled.
Bow and stern panels and inner bulkheads were each made 48" wide, then trimmed to 47.5" by two passes through table saw, resulting in very flat, uniform gluing surfaces.
The two young folks who have 'claimed' the new hull take off for the sailing race in xPDent, 373. Light air, very slow with that small sail.
We clamped the two sides together along the side of the 'Everything Bench" then used a belt sander to conform them to each other exactly.
The edges were checked for squareness all along each side--much easier with the two sides fastened together.
We are now mating up the sides and the bow, stern, and bulkheads, and predrilling. Once that is done, it is a simple job to pull off one side, glue it, and reassemble. Total assembly took about 10 minutes.
Once again the "Everything Bench" comes into play. The hull is lined up square with the edges of the 4x8 bench top and the 3/8" bottom is screwed down at the stern. Note the 2x4 and bar clamps used to pull the bottom down very tightly. We actually used two 2x4+clamp sets, removed and replaced alternately, but only one is showing.
We just kept moving the clamps and 2x4s a few inches. This simplifies getting the bottom to make the transition from the curve of the stern to the flat amidships, to the curve of the bow. Another simple task. No swearing needed!
59 sq ft Bolger sail being laid out.
Ready for grommets. How 'bout that sunburst pattern!
The festival tee shirt and the PDRacer trophy, with the new hull in the background.
The new hull awaiting pickup. It will be finished at home.