OBERAMMERGAU PASSION 2010
The Oberammergau Passion Play was first performed in 1634 and is the result of a vow made by the inhabitants of the village that if God spared them from the effects of the bubonic plague then sweeping the region they would perform a passion play every ten years. The play involves over 2000 actors, singers, instrumentalists and technicians, all residents of the village.The play starts at 14.30 and including a three-hour interval ends at 22.30, performances take place between mid-May and early October 2010.
The village is also known as the home of a long tradition of woodcarving. The streets of central Oberammergau are home to dozens of woodcarver shops, with pieces ranging from religious subjects, to toys, to humorous portraits.
Oberammergau is also famous for its "Lüftlmalerei," or frescoes, of traditional Bavarian themes, fairy tales, or religious scenes found on many homes and buildings.(wikipedia)
Jun 29, 2010