This is what the 1956 Case looked like when I started. Note one of the switch hook buttons is missing. It turns out the lift was warped, allowing the switch hook button to fall through. (The lift is a plastic piece inside the phone that holds the switch hook buttons--or plungers in place).
More Moldy Soft Plastic
Another view of the back. There is no line cord.
This had to be one of the dirtiest phones I had ever tackled. I enjoy the challenge!
The handset cord side of the phone...some pretty good scratches.
The finished product. The handset cord and line cord are both from 1962. I removed the line cord from an original package. It had never been used before.
The other side of the phone. There is a nice shine and reflection. I sanded out the scratches using 400, 600, 800, 1500 and then 2000 grit wet sand paper. Many trips to the polisher followed by more finish sanding of the sides. After numerous coats of Novus #2 I used some Turtle Wax UV protector on the phone.
A front view. The number card is a reproduction of one of my own original cards. REgent4-0765. It was reproduced on heavy stock paper---it looks very nice.
The back view. The low light blends the look of the plastic but it is in very nice condition. I
The handset itself is from April 1958. The Bakelite caps are from July of 1956. The U1 receiver is from 1957. The T1 transmitter is originally from August 1958.
Another view of the handset dates.
This case was as dirty inside as out. The date of the case (not visible in this photo) is 8-1-56 3.
The clean case. Dated August 01, 1956, Shift #3
This 7D dial from 1955 was on the phone when it was disassembled. I replaced the dial with one from 1956.
This 7D dated May of 1956 works nicely---now. After completely reassembling the phone I got no dial tone but the phone would ring. I took a look at this dial and if you look closely you can see the small plastic cam is out of position. I simply pried it up, moved it a tad counter-clockwise and the problem was resolved.
A top view of the dirty insides of the phone. The ringer assembly was cleaned but NOT disassembled.
The network and inside of the chassis was very dirty.
Another look of the network (12-56), the screws and dirty interior.
This view shows the inside after I spent many hours cleaning each piece. The wire tips were all cleaned with a small wire wheel to ensure a good electrical contact. The ringer bells date is 12-1956. It was dirty but I did not rub on the date in order to keep it preserved.
The finger wheel and number bezel were very dirty. This turned out to be one of the nicest finger wheels that I have detailed. Virtually no finger hole paint loss.
The number ring prior to the addition of the finger wheel and finger stop.
The finger wheel looks very nice...the dial bolt and clip are now nice and clean!
The dirty bottom including the leather feet. They needed a good cleaning but otherwise in nice condition. Not bad for 50 years!
The bottom of the phone doesn't look a lot different than when I started. Except the leather feet have had many coats of suede cleaner applied and they brushed out very well. I cleaned the bottom but left the pencil marks of a repairman on the bottom. You can see a repair date of 8-5-58 (just above the pencil marks) which explains some of the dated parts.