Art's Food Center at the east corner Walnut Street and Wood Street.
Originally in 1967 there was a building that housed Lowery's Body Shop here. I believe it was enlarged and remodled into Dick's Supermarket in the 1970's operated by Dick Kafer. It is now owned and operated by Art Scharf as Art's Grocery.
"Full Throttle" Auto and Body Shop at north-east corner of Locust and 1st Streets
Operated by Ronald Gerdes
Was International Harvester business first run by N. M. LaRochelle. Formerly the "Magtag Services" ran by N.M. LaRochelle (I believe the building was built by him). It was then then owned and managed by James Edwards as a Maytag dealer. Then "Bob's Auto and Body Shop" owned and operated by Robert "Bob" Gerdes, father of Ronald.
Originally built by C. G. Bartlett for "Bartlett's Lumber and Coal".
Later was "Livingston's Lumber". Now used for storage.
Originally built by Charles Shade and Edward Game. Originally this lot housed John Gelmer's "The Garage" and he sold different brands of cars including Buick. I believe he moved his business to the east block. In 1913 it is "Carney & Baldwin Garage". In 1916 it is "T.J. Baldwin Garage/Ford, 1942 it was "Baldwin Chevrolet Garage and Oil Station". I believe he sold Fords before he switched to Chevys ! Later it was "Forney's Chevrolet Sales and Service" ,owned and operated by Lee Forney; then "United Auto Service" ran by Jerry Barrett and Carl Lang; then Ashman Farm Service; then "Dehm Bus Service" , owned and operated by Lyle "Ike" Dehm and now operated by his son, Jeff Dehm.
This lot previously housed the Frank Price Livery Barn, which was purchased by the Boughtons. Built in 1946 by Joesph "Joe" Baltz, on the former Boughton Garage and Oil property. Remained under ownership and managment by Joe as "Baltz Sales and Service, until 1989, when it was sold to Warren "Red" Ulitzsch, who worked for Joe, when it became "Red's Garage", then sold to Bob Saltzman who worked for Red, now Bob's Garage.
One-half of a building built in 1906 by J.E. Roach and Albert O'Neil, was the "Roach & O'Neil Furniture and Undertaking". Mrs. Roach and her sister Mrs. Van Dusen had a millinary shop in part of the building.Later it housed the U.S. Post Office, the "Sears Catalog Store" and Adams Insurance, Glen Pearson's Barber Shop . Vacant at this time. As of 2016 it is being refurbished by the town.
Built by Lou Wienand in the early 1900's. He purchased the land when it housed the Erasmus Haberkorn Billiards Hall and ran the billiards for a few years, then building this building.
Earlier, it housed the Kerrins and Fitzgerald Real Estate office, when it was called the Weinand-Burns Block (this was @ 1904). At one time it belonged to F.L. Livingston and he sold Ercoupe airplanes from here. The was an actual airplane in the building and were considered the airplane that anyone could fly. Later, he used it for an office.Then The Three Gables Restaurant of Tom Lawless in the early 1950's. Later, Adams Insurance, Powers Insurance.
Today is Gerdes Insurance
This lot originally housed the Haberkorn Store, known as the "Peanut Corner" and in 1877 housed the Lechleiter Confectionery and Ice Cream Parlor.
East side built about 1902 by Charles Burns for a hardware store with Dr. W.T. Bell, Dentist, upstairs.In 1942 it was Burns Hardware with Harold Kruger Barber shop below. In 1967 it was Culkin (Virgil) Hardware, later Haberkorn (James) Hardware, Moore (Max) Hardware, and now The Corner Hardware owned by Carey "Snooky" Dehm. In the 1950's Laverne Gerdes had a beauty shop below. Other barbers here were Charles Kellogg and Larry Power.
West side was built around the same time by Mike Meister where he had a saloon. It was later,Remmer's Pool and Billiards, evidently T.E. Baldwin's Grocery in 1913 , Baldwin's (Jim) Grocery, Thompson's (Terry) Grocery, Costello's (Charles) Grocery. The upper floor has remained apartments. Gulliver's Building stood on this west lot and according to L.J. Haberkorn the upstairs of that building was used for classrooms.
This lot housed McCabe & Traub Clothing in 1887 in a wooden frame building. The new building was built in 1892 by James A. Smith, it housed the Bushway Store first with Bushway signs on the entire length of both buildings belonging to J.A. Smith, then the T.E. Baldwin Grocery Store, with Dr. Ellingwood and Knights of Columbus Lodge upstairs and Roberts' Barbershop in the basement ( he later added pool and billiards). In the 1940's it was Baldwin's Happy Hour Store with the Masons and Eastern Star upstairs, having burnt in 1946, the famous corner tower was removed. In the 1950's it was Baldwin Federated (clothing and dry goods). In 1967 it was J.C.Kelly's (clothing and dry Goods). Later it was Bumper to Bumper with Tom Brand manager, then Chatsworth Dollar Store. It is empty today.
Built in 1888 by James A. Smith, it housed the Plaindealer upstairs and Beach Dry Goods down. In the 1940's it housed The Virgina Theater with Frank Kaiser, having burnt in 1946, it was restored. Later the theater was run by the Shoemakers, the McKinley brothers, and the Durantes. Later it housed living quarters upstairs and The Flower Cart with Carol Dawson, Tooley's Barber Shop, a Woodshop with David Brand, a gift shop with Kathy Houser. As of 2016 this building is being refurbished by the town.
M. Fitzmaurice had a saloon and billard place in the late 1800's on this lot. "Leggate's Pool and Billiards" in1927. In 1942 it housed "Graham's Tavern", in the 1950's , "Ortman Electric", 1967 Ortman living quarters and remains living quarters today.
Rick & Anita's, Anita Frederick owner and operator. Built in 1892 by William Gardner, he had a resturant down and rooms to let up. In the early 1900's this was the "City Hotel". In 1942 it was a general store, owned and operated by Charles Dorsey. William Point's Bar, then in 1967, Frytz's Tavern with Walter and Julia Frytz, 1980, Candy Tap with Ed and Candy Wragg, later Dorothy's Tap, with Dorothy Daniels. Always with living quarters upstairs.
Built in 1893 by Mike Reising , he had a grocery store here. It was "Cording's Grocery" in 1903 with William Cording, "Cash & Carry Grocery" in 1942 with John Heiken, "Culkin's Grocery" in 1967, P.B.C. was held here in the early 1950's, "The Plaindealer Office" in 1980.
This building was built in 1894 by George W. McCabe. S.Herr was president, John Ryan vice-president, G.W. McCabe cashier, and E.M. Reising assistant-cashier. It closed it's doors in 1930. By 1936, it housed the Plaindealer under S.J. Porterfield and son Kenneth. They also handled radios and refrigerators. Assistants were Miss Clarice Gerbracht, Mrs. August Crites and Raymond Rosenberger. By 1966, the Plaindealer is sold, equipment moved, and it is only the Plaindealer Office where they gathered the news. By 1980 it housed the Touch of Country gift shop, operated by Gladys Walters. In 2006 it housed the Oliver's Crossing office. In 2009, Gorilla Guns & Ammo
OSF Medical Group
Built in 1894 by J.P. Hansen, in 1942 was "Individual Mausoleums, Music and News" ran by L.J. Haberkorn. In 1967 it was Adam's Insurance, 1980 it was the offfice of Doctors Chen and Secoquien.
Illinois State Rifle Association owned and operated by Richard Pearson. Living quarters upstairs. Second half of the business is in the one story building east of here.
S. Webster had a two story building on this lot, with H.M. Bangs Drug down and Dr. Brigham (dentist) and Dr. True up.
Built in 1891 by J.P. Hansen, he had a bakery down and living quarters up. Possibly Landwehr Bakery in 1911. In 1942 it was Robinson's Clothing, then Garrity & Baldwin's and in 1943 it was purchased by George Stephenson with Stephenson's Resturant next door, he moved the restuarant into this building. The resturant is mainly know for being here. 1967, Higgin's Variety Store,
East side now houses Henrich's Insurance owned and operated by Mark Henrichs. The west side is part of ISRA building ran by Richard Pearson.
The East side housed: Al's Place, The Big Dipper, The Flamingo Cafe, in 1955, The Coral Cup Cafe, under Harold Gullett,in 1969, Dorothy's (Smith) Resturant
The West side which was built by J.P. Hansen, housed: M. Ryan's Tavern,Gleason's Tavern, Graham's Tavern, Hugo's Tavern,Weem's Bar and lastly Johnny's Tap (Haberkorn) when there was a fire in 1968.
Now also part of Henrich's Insurance.
Housed: The Dorsey Sisters, Tauber's Groceries, The Flower Cart with Judy (Conibear) Davis, then Carol (Sorey) Dawson.
In 1859 this lot contained a building built by Charles Brooks where he had a general store and living quarters. He was Chatsworth's first citizen, store owner and post-master.In 1873, "Roberts and Lantry Hardware". Building was damaged in the fire of 1881. In 1887 the "City Meat Market with Wm. Wallrich. That building was destroyed in the fire of 1890. In 1912, "Hollywood Meat Market" in which John Maurtizen was a partner. It then became the "Central Meat Market", with only Mauritzen. In 1928 it was bought by Don Askew and Ray Gerbracht. In 1930 they sold to Walter Fielding but Askew and Mauritzen bought it back in 1938. In 1939 Don and James Mauritzen build the new building, combining the old meat market on the west side and the Hall building on the right and it became the "Chatsworth Locker Plant." In 1958 it was sold to Donald Foster and remained under him until at least 1967.
The Chatsworth Township Library
In 1917 Charles Shafer Insurance and Loans started here.
His son Ronald took over after his death.
It also housed the library in half of the building and then the entire building until 2014.
The west half of the Walter Building, built in 1890 by Albert Walter. He added this building to the east half after the fire of 1890.
Sullivan's Drug before Quinn's
The library was also upstairs during this time.
1942, Quinn's Drug Store, down, Chatsworth Telephone Company, Up. In 1942 it became Conibear's Drug until he moved to the east half. Later the phone company was moved down stairs and half of the building housed several beauty shops. 1967, The Fashionaire with Mrs. Dale Miller, 1980, The Beauty Basket with Pat Stein,
The east half of the Walter Building built in 1883, originally built by George Walter housing Walter's General Store, run by his sons Albert and Louis. Upstairs was the Masonic Hall.
In 1908, Phil Sampson had a barber shop in the basement, taken over in 1911 by Louie Walker. Other barbers who were in the basement were Ed Cooney, Ralph Newton and Kenneth Wells.
By 1911 the Walter's Store was taken over by William and H.P. Baylor. By 1924 it is Tauber's Store and they remained there until 1943 when it became Wisthuff's Hatchery and Feed Store. In 1942 Wells had a barber shop in the basement. In 1954 it became Conibear's Drug Store with Wisthuff's Hatchery in the rear and Vada Schiefer's beauty salon in the basement. In 1955 Vada's shop was moved to the west half of the building. In 1956 Wisthuff became Loomis Hatchery.In 1974 Conibear's became Rigsby's Drug Store. In 1980 it housed Krafty Korners under Armella Weller.
Today it houses Dohman's Electronics under Wayne "Dutch" and Connie Dohman
The corner lot originally housed "Jones' Drug Store" and the next lot was "Wakelin's Grocery". The east lot also housed what was known as the Brown Building.
The west side of this building was built in 1910 by S.H. Herr, where he continued his banking business,which he started in the Brown building in 1903. He started in the bank business as President of the Commercial National Bank.
The post office was housed in the back of this building at one time, also Costello's Grocery . Upstairs once housed offices, Louise Arbuckle's beauty shop, J.A. Kerrins Real Estate, Dr. F. Blumenschein's dentist office, H.N. Sheeley's chiropratic office,
The east side of this building was built in 1905 by Dr. Seright once housed "Pearson's Shoe Store" and a music store @ 1913, "David's Economy Store", "Costello's Town and Country".Upper floor was Modern Woodmen, Royal Neighbors and American Legion and" Turner's Barbershop" in the basement.
In 1911 this housed Dowd's Jewelry. In 1942 , Dewey Maplethorpe's Shoe Shop and Repair. Later, Perkins Electric, and later BBB Gun Shop and living quarters were added to the back. Recent cafes have been, Tomada's Patch, The Cabbage Patch, Main Street Cafe.
2011: R & J Cafe
Built in 1900 by A.J. Sneyd it housed his hardware store. In 1942 this building at the east end housed International Harvester operated by N.M. LaRochelle. In 1940 Leather's Produce rented it after their fire and Lawrence Produce in the 1950's - later Haberkorn Furniture, Chatsworth Furniture & Flowers, Carrico Furniture, Grand Ole Bar, Lee's Last Call and now Riders Roadhouse.
The west side housed the grocery store of Pliney Dancy at one time.
In 1866 John Walter had a small store building with dry goods and groceries on this lot. In 1877 there was a resturant and bakery ran by George Walter. I believe that building burnt, not sure what year.Not sure what year this building was built, It has been G.W. Pink's Cleaners, Heminover's Cleaners, now Bennett's Cleaners.
The original two lots were owned by C.H. Rohde. Building originally built by H.H. and Robert Rosenboom in 1924. In 1928 there was a water fountain removed from the front of the building because of vandalizism. It housed Rosenboom Plumbing and Heating in the west half, until purchased by Mike Scott in 1980. It is now Nussbaum Plumbing and Heathing.
The east half of this building housed Baldauf's 5 cent to 1.00 Store in 1942. In ? it was purchased and remodeled by Dick Steidinger as a dinning room for the Farmer's Pub next door.
Mini park between the Bennett's Cleaners and Nussbaum Plumbing and Heating. Originally had a fountain in the center ring.
The main building (the two-story part) was built in 1912 by C.H. Rohde, the previous building being destroyed by fire (this would have been the Fair Store ran by Rohde).In 1921 Joe Endres operated a variety store here. In 1943 N.M. LaRochelle moved his International Harvester business here, purchasing the building from Endres. In 1949 it housed Stan and Mabel's (Wilson) Tavern. It became Bob and Judy's Tavern. Bob's brother Dick went into partnership with them and later purchased the entire business. It was then The Farmer's Pub, having been remodeled and adding the west side building for a dining room, which was originally part of Rosemboom Brothers. Later it was ?, then Jo's (Haberkorn) Bar, lastly being The Club House. It is now unoccupied.
American Legion Walter Clemmon's Post #613
The lot originally housed a building built in the 1860's by William Altman where he had a dry goods store and lived in quarters upstairs. In 1915 it housed The Plaindealer with Prink as the owner. In 1945 the Legion purchased that building from C.L. Ortman and it housed the American Legion, until 1969, when it was torn down to build the new Legion. The new building was completed and dedicated in 1974.
The American Legion Park
This lot originally housed a building built in the 1860's by John Schenck where he had a saloon. In 1894 it housed the J.P. Hansen Bakery. In 1942 it was the home of Mrs. Taylor. Her daughter Myra, a school teacher, married Lee Maplethorp and they lived there also in 1967. Myra had a studio and gave piano lessons here. In 1967 is was the oldest store building in town.
Currently unoccupied, this building has housed Maplethorpe's Shoe Shop and Larry LaRochelle's business. The west end has housed several resturants and/or bakeries. M & M Bakery with Martha Teter and Mable Teter. Bertha's Cafe with Bertha Sleeth. Mrs. Robinson followed Bertha. Ruth Davis had a bakery and resturant .
BBB Gun Shop
This lot originally housed the George Miller Garage where he sold Nash cars. Then Walters' Garage selling Dodge cars.
1962 Haberkorn Cabinet shop. Later Betty's Bargin Barn. Now BBB Gun Shop.
Our new town hall built in ----.
The old town hall stood here along with the jail and fire station. This half of the block also housed a livery stable in the early 1900's. Milford Sims used that building selling autos later.
Located on the original Walter Brick and Tile Company land.
Originally built by George Walter @ 1881, it became Diller Tile in ????. A fire in 1952 destroyed most of the factory but it was rebuilt. In ???? it became Prinsco, In. , dealing in plastic tiling.
Grain Elevator office next to the I.C. RR. tracks on Maple Street.
Not sure but I think it's still Livingston's in 2009
The Grain Elevator
Originally Stoddard's Elevator, then Livingston's.