jamaica bay circ 09 001.JPG
It didn't look too promising. In fact, the trip was officially cancelled. The forecast had never been great - "chance of thunderstorms" had been the running theme all week, and on Sunday morning it had deteriorated to "thunderstorms likely" for the afternoon. One person had bailed by the time I signed onto email to send the cancellation - he'd gone & done whitewater in the rain all day on Friday, then thrown a great barbecue on Saturday night, and just didn't feel like another day in the rain (especially with the potential dodging of lightning bolts). I called the one who had the longest commute, to make sure he got the message. The other 3 of us were still up for trying to get at least a short paddle in if we could, but at 1:00, it looked like this. M. called to cancel. I checked the radar. Hm. It looked a lot like we were in the middle of the worst of the day. I called John H. to see what he thought. "What do you think?" I said. "I'm still game", he said. Well...ok then! I hit the soggy road at 1:15.
August 2, 2009 - The Best Trip I Ever Cancelled. Jamaica Bay Circumnavigation 08 02 2009. The forecast was horrible. I actually cancelled it. But the weather doesn't always do what the forecast says. Two of us went out anyways, ready to roll with whatever the weather dished out. And what a reward we were given.