Thanksgiving 09 Breakneck Ridge 022.JPG
Storm King, cloud-crowned. We were happy that the predicted storm never really hit!
Escape from Black Friday 2009! TQ & I share the opinion that the day after Thanksgiving is a really good day to stay far away from malls. The farther away, the better. We like to go hiking instead. This year, we spent Thanksgiving with one of my oldest friends in New York, up near Beacon, NY, and our hike was one that I've been wanting to do for years -- Breakneck Ridge! It's not a really long hike, but it was tons of fun - you climb 1,200 feet in the first mile and a half. It's a scramble, and the views at the top are phenomenal. Bad weather was threatened, but it never got anywhere near as bad as it was supposed to - the wind picked up as we were coming back down (the trail is a loop & the descent is much longer & gentler) but as far as precipitation, well, a 90% chance of rain still leaves you with a 10% chance that it won't, and the weather gods smiled on us this time!