Motorola 12T2 1950 purchase price $300. Inoperative in a heated/air-conditioned basement since 1969.
Manufacturer's stamp on bottom of cabinet.
Rear panel. The broken section of panel and the power cord are the only missing original parts. Inverted rubber cone houses control handle of focus ring. Picture tube projects 3 inches into metal cover.
ID label on rear panel.
Original knobs. Left small knob is on/off/volume; left large knob is contrast control. Right knobs are fine tuning and channel changer.
TS-53 chassis, original condition, top view
TS-53 Chassis, original condition, rear view.
TS53 chassis, original condition, front view
TS-53 chassis, original condition, left view.
TS-53 chassis, original condition, right view.
First power-up since 1969.
Speaker hopelessly damaged.
Hopeful speaker repair. Sound quality is very poor, but music is recognizable and dialogue is understandable.
12LP4 picture tube in need of recoating.
12LP4 picture tube cleaned for recoating.
12LP4 picture tube recoated with aerosol graphite suspension
Chassis cleaned, 12LP4 picture tube reinstalled
My 12T2-dedicated workbench.
TS53 underchassis. Cleaned, but otherwise original condition
Tagging original paper capacitor connections prior to recapping.
Replacing paper capacitors with Gummi bears. At operating temperature, the Gummis softened and leaked, so I changed to poly- film capacitors.
My first recaps. Guided by a Sam's Photofacts folder and a hundred close-up photos taken before snipping anything
Recapping completed. Eight electrolytics in 3 above-chassis cans were moved to underchassis. After this was done, I bought a new multimeter, an isolation transformer, and sought guidance from folks who know about this stuff.
Odd failures. After replacing the resistor and RF choke the audio came back. Still no video at all.
Found no continuity through the focus coil. Couldn't find a replacement, so I made this highly sophisticated winder and found several breaks in the first 150 turns.
Original specification was 670 ohms. After repairing 3 breaks and rewinding, we got 701 ohms across the coil.
Remounted and rewired the focus coil, but still no video.
One side of the deflection yoke was dead. Opened it up and the reason was obvious. This is where I'm stopped until I can find a replacement part.
C98 (in my set it's a .033 bumblebee) seems to be attached to a lug on the flyback frame. From that lug there is no apparent connection to a coil. Instead, a green-insulated wire snakes behind the coil and is soldered to the chassis (red circle).