A view from Rte 20A. The town of Aurora, NY.
The Roycroft Campus, set in E. Aurora was a community of craft workers. Elbert Hubbard founded the community in 1895 in East Aurora, New York.The work and philosophy of the group, had a strong influence on the development of American architecture and design in the early 20th century.The name Roycroft was chosen after the printers, Samuel and Thomas Roycroft, who made books in London from about 1650-1690. The word roycroft had a significance to Elbert Hubbard, meaning King's Craft. King's craftsmen were guild members who had achieved a high degree of skill and therefore made things for the King. The Roycroft insignia was borrowed from the monk Cassidorius, a 13th century bookbinder and illuminator.
Elbert Hubbard had been influenced by William Morris. He was unable to find a publisher for his book Little Journeys, so inspired by Morris's Kelmscott Press, decided to print the book himself, founding Roycroft Press.
His championing of the Arts & Crafts approach attracted a many visiting crafts people to E.Aurora.
A must stop in East Aurora, NY.
A place for a Summer time treat.
A view from Mill Rd., Aurora NY.
Milkweed on Mill Rd., Aurora NY.
Fiddlers Green Park, Springville NY. A inspiring Civil War monument is located in this beautiful setting.Springville is a village in the southeast part of the town of Concord in Erie County, New York, United States. Springville is the principal community in the town and a major business location in south Erie County. Springville, NY was formally named "Fiddler's Green" before it was re-named "Springville".
A Southtowns tradition, Gentners Auction, located in Springville NY.
On the way from Springville to Boston NY. Traveling on the Springville-Boston Rd.
A Fall time tradition, Fresh Cider and Mums.
The Town of Boston, NY. The Iroquois, under various names, lived here until the European immigrants became predominant.
In 1804, brothers Charles and Oliver Johnson and their families became the area's first settlers. The first Christian church was the Free Will Baptist Church, founded circa 1811. On April 5, 1817 the town of Boston was formed from a portion of the Town of Eden. The first post office opened in 1832 on the north side of town.
In 1843, the town suffered an epidemic (28 of the 43 residents were affected, 10 of them died) believed to be typhoid fever, possibly from a local well.
This town has much history that can be found on the headstones in the cemetery across from the Boston Town Hall. There are many old gravestones that show some of the first settlers in the town and the infamous "love" murder.
Rte 277 from the Chestnut Ridge overpass.
An Orchard Park treasure-Green Lake.
An Orchard Park treasure-Green Lake