Members of the 1938 Colorado River expedition party, L to R: Charles Kelly, Frank Swain, George Stone, Bill Chryst, A.L. Inglesby, Julius Stone, and Dr. Russell G. Frazier landing at Lee's Ferry. The expedition began at Hite and ended at Lee's Ferry.
Charles Kelly, William H. Chryst, Julius F. Stone, Frank Swain, Russell G. Frazier, and George Stone camped at Hite in preparation for "takeoff" in 1938.
Rainbow Bridge was a popular destination on early Colorado River trips.
George Stone and Russell Frazier on top of Rainbow Bridge, 1938, with the Explorer's Club flag. (Note: It is now illegal to climb on top of the bridge.)
The group swimming a horse across the river at Hite, in order to better search for Spanish inscriptions.
Julius F. Stone and Russell Frazier on the summit of Boulder Mountain with the Explorer's Club flag, 1938.
This ferry at Hite was built in 1933 by Art Chaffin.
Grave of Cass Hite at Tickaboo. Left to right: George Stone, Russell Frazier, A.L. Inglesby, Bill Chryst.
Remains of the Stanton Dredge (1898) in Glen Canyon near the mouth of Bullfrog Creek. The dredge is a remnant of the gold rush on the Colorado and San Juan Rivers. It cost $100,000 to build (1938 expedition member Julius Stone helped finance it). In 1901, the dredge sold, after only nine months in operation, for $1,100.
The group put this plaque up at the mouth of Padre Creek, marking the site of the Crossing of the Fathers. The site is now under the waters of Lake Powell (as are most of the sites in this photo essay).
A closeup of the Crossing of the Fathers plaque.
Bennett Water Wheel at Bennett's Bar.
The 1938 group drifting on the Colorado River in Glen Canyon.