Front of the outfit, flat. The shorts get terribly wrinkled in wear because of how oddly they fit.
Back of the outfit, flat.
I didn't take a photo of the entire outfit on, but here is the top.
Front of the outfit on a form, which doesn't match my shape all that well but at least shows the entire outfit. Since this is a dress and not a pants form, of course the shorts don't fit right. They're being pulled down, making the waist pull and go all wrinkly. However, the camel-toe-like wrinkles do reflect reality.
The back of the outfit. Again, the shorts just can't fit right on this form, but the bunchiness is definitely not all the form's fault.
The top opened up -- the back is at the top of this photo. The front has ends that fasten in back, and the back has tie ends that go around to the front.
This is how the shorts fasten. Here's the front, opened all the way up. The right side of the front will wrap around inside and fasten to the inside of the back waistband -- the snap in question is the third from left.
That being done, now the extension on the right back has to wrap around and snap over the two snaps on the front.
The shorts closed.
To measure the shorts so I could get an idea of how to resize and alter them, I folded my patten so the fastening points would match. It looks really long, but a lot of this length turns out to be necessary due to the odd cut.
Alterations to the main pieces. The blue areas are additions and the red areas are subtractions. The alterations are all roughly rectangular, but all the edges have been trued.
At left are the front and back bodice pieces. I widened these by about two sizes, but did not lengthen them at all, because I have a short upper torso. The width additions on the lower part of the back are distributed to either side of the waist dart. On the front, they are all toward the side, since otherwise the dart tucks would have become too far from CF for me.
At right is the shorts piece. The long straight edge is CF/CB and the front is toward the top. I widened this by about three sizes and shortened by 1" (but maybe should not have).
Cutting layouts -- bodice is supposed to be cut on the crossgrain because of the narrow fabric widths available at the time. Shorts are straight-grain, but in one piece with the back upside-down relative to the front. Both of these features would make some prints problematic.
All of the instructions are on the other side of the sheet.
You're supposed to roll all the hems, but on the bodice there are four inward corners. I added little shims of fabric to make sure all the raw edges would be covered without weak points. (Also, the machine basting I used to mark just inside the hemline hadn't been taken out.)