Valour Road Plaques Dedication Ceremony Sunday, 27 May 2012
On Sunday, 27 May 2012, soldiers from 38 Canadian Brigade Group and students from Clifton School unveiled three plaques at the Valour Road Commemorative Plaza in Winnipeg. The plaques honour Victoria Cross winners Acting Corporal Leo Clarke, Sgt-Maj Frederick Hall, and Lt. Robert Shankland, all residents of the 700 block of Pine Street prior to serving in WWI. It is believed to be the only street in the world where three Victoria Cross winners lived, and was renamed Valour Road in 1925.
The event was made possible through the fundraising efforts of the Cameron Association in Canada, The Cameron Regimental Foundation, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles Senate, The Governor General’s Foot Guards, a private donation from Bob Williams, and with additional financial support from the Province of Manitoba and the City of Winnipeg.
© 2012, DND/MDN, Canada.
Photos By: MCpl Gregory Rutledge, 38 CBG Photojournalist
May 30, 2012