Starforce: Alpha Centauri was a board game published in 1974 by Simulations Publications Inc. It was one of their first science fiction games, a departure from their usual historical wargames. It was based on a concept by Redmond Simonsen.
Much more information about the game can be found at the Project Rho website: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/fasterlight.php#id--StarForce_Alpha_Centauri
This painting was apparently for the boxed version of the game and has artwork that is more colorful than the version I own. Although the composition is nearly identical, it is a different painting and some of the details of the ships are different.
This is the illustration on of the version of the game I have. The ring of the ship seemed to me to have more of a circular cross section and that's how I modeled it. (Thanks to Nyrath for providing this high resolution scan of the illustration, which I used with photos of my models to recreate the box art.)
StarForce described a future history of humanity reaching out into local interstellar space, and making first contact (and war) with a number of alien species. FTL (faster than light) travel was accomplished by human crew members with psionic abilities amplified by artificial intelligence. The distinctive rings of the starships and the fixed Star Gate installations housed the psionic AIs. Space combat was relatively non-violent, consisting of telepathic disruption of the enemy's crews. One of the things I especially liked about the game was that the space volume on the map represented real astronomical data showing the layout of nearby stars.
This is my recreation of the game box illustration using images of my model and a photograph of a nebula.
This image is a composite of the the two game box illustrations. I recreated the nebula of the color art and used the text from the monochrome art.
The same image without the text.
A different nebula.
SPI released two more games set in the same universe as StarForce; StarSoldier and Outreach. StarSoldier added ground combat to the space combat in StarForce. Outreach is set several centuries after the period of StarForce and StarSoldier. It expanded the scope from our interstellar neighborhood to the entire galaxy. As the cover painting shows, it used the same ships as StarForce. I always liked this cover more than that on the covers of StarForce. Also, for a long time I thought the ship on this cover had only one tier of landing boats. I used that to rationalize having one tier of boats on my model, though there were practical reasons, too. However, if you look close, this ship does have two tiers of boats.
NOTE: this box illustration is a recreation, itself. I could find only a low resolution scan of the color box illustration. I replaced the ship and title graphic from a high rez scan of the monochrome cover sent to me by Nyrath to produce a sharper image wih more detail on the ship.
This is my recreation of the game cover using a photograph of my model and a photograph of the Andromeda galaxy.
This image is a composite of the the two game box illustrations. I recreated the galaxy of the color cover and used the text from the monochrome cover.
The Outreach cover reproduction without the text.
Another composite image using my model and an astromonical painting of a gas giant planet and moon.
A composite image using my model against a backdrop of an astromonical photograph of the Carina Nebula.
The ring was the most problematic part of the model. Fortunately, it occurred to me that two of the solar collectors from the Lindberg space station kit would make one complete ring with the right proportions. I used brass rod for the spokes and styrene tubing and sheet to make the hub.
To maximize the strength and rigidity of the spokes, they are continuous through the hub, which meant they crisscross at different heights in the center.
The ring was detailed with pieces cut from very thin styrene sheet.
The command and habitation modules were built up from sheet styrene. The central dome was heat formed over something with the right curvature.
Corrugated sheet plastic was used for the details on the bottom of the command and habitation modules.
The lower, secondary ring was made from a plastic bracelet. The plastic was very brittle and it broke several times while I was drilling holes and trying to get the brass rod spokes installed.
The landing craft were made from drop tanks from some aircraft kit. They attach to studs made from plastic rod glued into holes in the plastic tube that makes up the spine of the ship.
I freguently use 1/8" stainless steel welding rod to make display stands for models. I install a length of Evergreen 3/16" plastic tube in the model since the tube has an inside diameter of 1/8". The ringship's components are connected by a tubular spine. So, I built the components around 3/16" tube that would slide over a longer than usual steel rod display stand. As seen in this photo, I superglued a short length of plastic tube to the steel rod to make a stop for the model components. A recess in the bottom of the model fits over the stop so it is not seen when the model is displayed.
Since the pieces of the model are not glued to the support rod or each other, they are easily removed for separate packing when the model needs to be transported.
The model temporarily assembled on the support rod prior to painting.
The completed model.
If Revell had done a series of models based on games in the late '70s, the box art for a StarForce teleship might have looked like this.
A composite image using photos of my model of a teleship and an astronomical painting.