This is the first design of the interior. You can see that the battery is not at the right location - the serial interface is still missing - and that the rubber keymap is still uncut
The first look of the exterior, with some cables peeking out ...
Yeah! At first I was a bit worried that not all of the display would be clear, especially on the left side, so I cut a piece off. At the bottom you can see an on-off switch (this would normally be the mute key).
The original Nortel M3902
The Nerdkit version and the original, side by-side
The exterior look again. I'm still not sure where I'm going to build the programming switch, on the side or on the front.
The final interior design. I use the battery to give some pressure to the serial interface, I've glued a small bridge over the on-off switch so it stays in place, and I've used some photo glue-squares to hold the cabling.
The original cardboard design for the Nerdkit. The square cut-out on the shelter-part is for the display, the small hole next to it was for the on-off switch. Under the shelter was the battery, behind the vertical piece was the breadboard.
I had to cut the breadboard out because the tape stuck too hard on the cardboard. You can still see the holes in the vertical piece to guide the wires from the display, the battery and the on-off switch to the breadboard.
Because of the cramped space inside I had to build the serial interface on the side, but it looks quite nice after all.
The side view of the Nerdkit version and the orginal Nortel M3902.