The City Hall branch two track structure and terminal were rebuilt (1914-16) to a double-deck format that served the the 2nd Ave El on the upper deck and the 3rd Ave El on the lower deck. The upper deck is seen here after the 2nd Ave El ended operations in 1942.
A n/b 2nd Ave (7 car) El train from City Hall is entering the Chatham Sq station on Park Row. The City Hall branch structure at Chatham Sq was rebuilt with four tracks and two Island platforms. The nearest platform was used by the 2nd Ave Line.
The Chatham Square Station showing the overhead walkway that connected the 3rd Ave El North platform (right) with the 2nd Ave El South platform (left). The track on the left is the N/B main line from South Ferry with a switch to the N/B 2nd Ave El track and the diamond crossing of the 2nd Ave El S/B track from Division St. The City Hall Spur N/B track from Park Row, in the center, junctions with the N/B main line track in the foreground. The 2nd Ave El did not have access to the City Hall Branch.
Compare this image to the image of rebuilt junction at
1915 image of the City Hall branch structure at Chatham Sq being rebuilt with four tracks and two Island platforms. The new 3rd Ave El station is under construction on the right. The original City Hall Branch tracks on the left will be replaced by the 2nd Ave El tracks and platform.
Steam Era view of the switch man's shanty at the 2nd Ave El curve onto Division St and the junction of the 3rd Ave El City Hall N/B track at Chatham Sq
The junction of the 2nd Ave El with the 3rd Ave El is out of the frame to the right.
c.1910 view of a S/B 2nd Ave El train on Division St approaching Chatham Square - The Manhattan Bridge is in the distance. The switch-man shanty is still in use although the semaphore signal has been updated to the electro-mechanical type.
c.1940 view of 2nd Ave El S/B train coming into Chatham Sq from Division St. The junction switch directs trains to the City Hall spur on Park Row (straight ahead) or to the right, which was the original of the 2nd Ave El route to South Ferry. The switch-man shanty became full fledged switch tower with the 1915 rebuilding of the junction. The building on the right at the corner of Division and Catherine St still exists in 2012.
c.1900 view of the original 2nd Ave El structure on Division St at Market St with the Phoenixville Columns and latice work girders. This area would be cleared for the construction of the Manhattan Bridge, which would span Division St here. The 2nd Ave El Division St structure would be rebuilt as a low profile through truss structure to pass under the bridge (see next). There were no stations on Division St section of the line.
and the map at "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L2/L2Division/MBmap0.jpg"
South on the 2nd Ave El on Division St showing the S/B track being relaid South of Chrystie St dated 12/01/1909, which is coincident with the completion of the Manhattan Bridge. The 2nd Ave El was out of service during the construction of the Manhattan Bridge span over the El on Division St at Market St because the El structure had to be lowered and rebuilt for trains to pass under the bridge. The overhead structure was used to rebuild the El structure. The 'Engineering Record' periodical of that time period may have information about the rebuilding of the El.
1930 view North on Forsyth St of the 2nd Ave El on Division St where it emerges from under the Manhattan Bridge. The Division St El structure was rebuilt with H columns and plate girder through trusses because the El had to be lowered so that El trains could pass under the bridge here. The through trusses afforded a lower profile structure structure so that vehicles could travel under the El structure. The power feeder cables on the El structure extend from substation #5 at Allen St to the 3rd Ave El at Chatham Sq.
June 12, 1931 view West on Forsyth St to the 2nd Ave El on Division St and Manhattan Bridge Plaza and the dome of St Barbara Greek Orthdox Church in the center
This is one of three places in Manhattan where the El passed under a roadway.
One was at Franklin Square, where the Brooklyn Bridge spanned the 3rd Ave El.
The other roadway was the 155th St Viaduct, which spanned the 9th Ave El.
This and the previous 1909 image document the lowering of the 2nd Ave El structure on Division St so that trains could pass under the Manhattan Bridge at Market St. This image shows the S/B track still in the original higher position at the curve from Allen St. The N/B track has been lowered and relaid. Note that the original Phoenixville Column and lattice work structure has been replaced with H columns and plate girders.
Nov 6, 1909 view of the 2nd Ave El curve from Division St onto Allen St showing the structure shored up for the new plate girder bents
An early 1905 (post electrification) view of the 2nd Ave El curve from Division St onto Allen St at which Manhattan Railway Substation #5 was situated. The structure from here to Catherine St was lowered and rebuilt to pass under the Manhattan Bridge at Market St.
June 12, 1931 view South on Division St from Pike St showing the 2nd Ave El structure turning from Allen St and passing under the Manhattan Bridge. The buildings in the foreground on the right side of the street will be removed to "Day-light" Allen St (see next). See the building demolition pics at
Nov 5, 1931 view of the 2nd Ave El structure curve from Division St to Allen St shows the effect of "Day-Lighting" Allen St. Note the H column and plate girder 1909 reconstruction of the El here for the passage under the Manhattan Bridge. See the El demolition pics at
1934 view from East Broadway of the 2nd Ave El structure at Division and Allen St showing Substation #5 after Allen St had been "Day lighted"
N/B 2nd Ave El train turning onto Allen St from Division St in this 1931 view made possible by the "Urban Redevelopment" or "Slum Clearing" as it was known back then. The platform of the Canal St Station is on the right. Note the 1909 structure replacement to the Canal St Station bent.
June 6, 1930 view West on Canal St to Allen St from East Broadway showing the 2nd Ave El Canal St Station ahead and Seward Park to the right by P L Speer - The tall building the left (#54 Canal) at Orchard St was originally a bank that went bust in 1914.
June 12, 1931 view West on Canal St to Allen St from Orchard St to the 2nd Ave El Station prior to the clearing of the East side of Allen St by P L Speer
April 7, 1928 view North from the 2nd Ave El Canal St Station on Allen St by P L Speer
The peaked building with the tall pole is PS144.
May 14, 1936 view East on Canal St to the 2nd Ave El Station on Allen St from Forsyth St by P L Sperr
The 2nd Ave El structure on Allen St crossed Hester St, which is the next street north of Canal St and South of Grand St.
West on Grand St from Orchard St to the 2nd Ave El Station on Allen St c.1923
East on Grand St from Eldridge St showing the clock on the 2nd Ave El Downtown El station cupola c.1936
South from the 2nd Ave El Grand St Station on Allen St to the Canal St Station in the distance c.1940
1931 view South from the 2nd Ave El Grand St Station on Allen St
1931 view West on Broome St, the next street North of Grand St, to the 2nd Ave El structure on Allen St
The East Side of Allen St was cleared out and made to look like a parkway in 1930 to create this airy view of a N/B 2nd Ave El train on Allen St.
N/B 2nd Ave El train crossing Delancey St, where the structure was modified with outboard trusses to eliminate the pillars in the middle of the street to facilitate Williamsburg Bridge traffic. The Myrtle Ave El span at Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn had a similar modification for Manhattan Bridge traffic.
South on Allen from the 2nd Ave El Rivington St Station - note the truss for the Delancey St span in the distance.
Feb 26, 1926 view of the corner of Allen St and Stanton St from under the 2nd Ave El
Compare this view with the demolition scene several months later - See next
June 21, 1927 view of the buildings being demolished on the East side of Allen St from under the 2nd Ave El structure at Stanton St - from NYPL Digital. Many photos of the transition of Allen St became available from the NYC Archives and are presented along with more NYPL images at
The buildings on the West side of Allen St were shaved off as part of the slum clearance program as seen here looking North on Allen St showing the 2nd Ave El structure at Stanton St c.1928.
South on Allen St from the 2nd Ave El First St Station at Houston St showing the buildings being shaved off on the West side of the street c.1928.
May 12, 1940 view South on Allen St from the 2nd Ave El First St Station showing a train on the center track by P L Sperr.
The tall building right of center is at Canal St.
N/B 2nd Ave El train coming into the First St station on 1st Ave
The North end of Allen St at Houston St was a busy place at the 2nd Ave El First St Station on June 26, 1936 by P L Sperr
The 2nd Ave El First St station on 1st Ave looking south from the uptown platform
One of my favorite El images is this June 25, 1934 classic view of a S/B 2nd Ave El gate car train departing the First St station on First Ave at Houston St by P L Sperr. The First St Station was unique in that it was the only station on an avenue and street of the same name.
See Time Traveling on the 2nd Ave El at "http://el2.ash.com/index.html" and the Sky Drive Album at "http://sdrv.ms/178JvEl"
1942 view of the 2nd Ave El 8th St Station on 1st Ave looking East
1942 view of the 2nd Ave El 8th St Station on 1st Ave
1940 view of the 2nd Ave El 8th St Station uptown platform on 1st Ave
East on St Mark's Place to the 2nd Ave El 8th St station on 1st Ave showing the infamous WPA tearing up the trolley tracks on Dec 7, 1936, thus depriving New York of a clean and efficient trolley system in favor of stinking gasoline and Diesel buses. East 8th St between 3rd Ave and 1st Ave is named St Mark's Place.
West to the double deck 2nd Ave El 14th St hump express Station on 1st Ave
1936 view South on First Ave from the 2nd Ave El 14th St station showing the great East side open air push cart market that went all the way to Houston St
The 2nd Ave El 14th St station on 1st Ave was converted from this local station format to a hump express station as part of the 1915 express track update program.
North on 1st Ave from 18th St showing the 2nd Ave El 19th St Station
The 2nd Ave El 19th St station on 1st Ave
June 24, 1942 view North on 1st Ave from 22nd St showing the 2nd Ave El structure curve onto 23rd St by P L Sperr
S/B 2nd Ave El train turning East from 2nd Ave onto 23rd St
West from the 2nd Ave El 23rd St Station showing a gate car train on the center express track on the curve from Second Ave. The line turns onto 23rd St for one block and then turns south on First Ave. The 3rd Ave El station at 23rd St is in the distance. This is one of several places where the Manhattan Els traversed an East-West street to transition from one North-South Avenue to another.
1942 Street level view of the 2nd Ave El 23rd St Station looking West on 23rd St from 1st Ave - The gated entrances to the El indicate that this photo was taken some time after the 2nd Ave El was shut down on June 13, 1942.
The 2nd Ave El 23rd St Station on 23rd St looking east from the downtown platform
1929 34th Street level view West looking up to double-deck 2nd Ave El station with the 34th St Spur on the lower level and the 2nd Ave El on the upper level.
This was one of the locations where the Manhattan Els traversed an East-West street with a station on the North-South Avenue. Another was at 53rd St and Eighth Ave on the 6th Ave El connector to the 9th Ave El.
And, the 42nd St GCT Spur terminal was at Park Ave.
S/B 2nd Ave El Gate car train at the upper level of the 34th St Station
1939 view of the NE corner of Second Ave and 34th St from under the double-deck 2nd Ave El station - See "https://picasaweb.google.com/116363262722377355677/SPUR34"
The area around Second Ave and 37th St underwent massive changes with construction of the Queens Midtown Tunnel in 1939. See"http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L2/L237d.jpg"
1916 View North on the Second Ave El to the 42nd St station prior to the installation of the center express track and the conversion of the station to the three-track, two-island express station format.
This 03/22/1915 image shows the removal of the 2nd Ave El N/B track at 41st St to the 42nd St station which is being reconstructed to the three track two island platform format. The downtown island platform has already been installed.
12/16/1914 image looking North from 41st St showing the installation of the new 2nd Ave El downtown local track-way that passes around the new downtown 42nd St station island platform that is also being installed. The original outboard 42nd St uptown station on the right is still in service. The new island station format will use a mezzanine below the tracks to access the island platforms.
The 2nd Ave El 42nd St St station was rebuilt as as a three track, two island platform express station which was the standard design of three track subway elevated extensions of the "Dual Contracts" Era of 1915 to 1920.
SW view of the 2nd Ave El 50th St station s/b platform inline with the Chrysler Bldg on Dec 28, 1936
North from the 2nd Ave El 50th St station showing the tower at 51st St and a N/B train and a S/B Queens train ahead c.1940
North from the n/b platform of the 2nd Ave El 50th St Station showing the tower at 51st St and the ramp to the 57th St station in the distance
1916 view of the Second Ave El just South of 52nd St showing the expanded structure during the installation of the fourth track-way for the Queensboro Bridge fly-over junction. The outboard S/B track was also relaid on a new track-way.
The Second Ave El structure was expanded to four tracks North of 51st St for the fly-over junction to the Queensboro Bridge at 59th St and the double-deck 57th St station. This 1916 view from the North end of the 2nd Ave El 50th St station platform shows the installation of x-overs for the new S/B fly-over track.
1916 view North on the Second Ave El from 56th St to the 57th St station ahead which is being converted into a double-deck station that will have the inbound track from the Queensboro Bridge on the upper level in a format similar to the hump-express stations. See next.
West to the double deck 2nd Ave El 57th St Station
The upper deck was for inbound/downtown trains from Queens.
South to the 2nd Ave El 57th St double deck Station. The upper station platform was used by inbound trains from Queens. The original three track structure was expanded to four tracks for the flying junction and the two tier station.
South on 2nd Ave El structure from the Queensboro Bridge junction at 59th St to the 57th St Station
The Manhattan side of the Queensboro Bridge showing the 2nd Ave El structure and the flying junction.
The kiosks in the plaza are entrances to the trolley terminal platforms below the plaza.
See our Queensboro Bridge album at "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L2/QB2"
1916 view West from the Queensboro Bridge showing the installation of the track-ways to the Second Ave El at 59th St
Inbound 2nd Ave El gate car train on the Queensboro Bridge flying junction ramp at 59th St. See"http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L2/QB2" for the Queesboro Bridge 2nd Ave El
1916 view North to the Second Ave El Queensboro Bridge fly-over construction at 59th St.
A 2nd Ave El Queens bound train turning on to the Queensboro Bridge at the former at 59th St junction.The junction became just a curve after 1940 when service was discontinued north of this point and the structure removed in 1941. It must have been sort of a thrill ride going north to make the turn at 59th St onto the bridge and not see the structure north of 59th St any more. See "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L2/L2Demo59.jpg".
A downtown 2nd Ave El train on the flying junction from the Queensboro Bridge
Compare this image with prior image
NE Overhead view of the 2nd Ave El 57th St upper level station and the Queensboro Bridge, which the 2nd Ave El trains went over to the Queens Elevated lines c.1939
1931 Wurts Bros photo of the Queensboro Bridge showing the 3rd Ave El passing through the streets in the foreground and the 2nd Ave El and the approach to the bridge from the upper level of the 57th St station to 53rd St on the right - from NYPL Digital
North to the Second Ave El 65th St station and the Third Ave Railway System (TARS) Powerhouse chimney
S/B gate car train at the 2nd Ave El 65th Station
IRT Composite car train on the express track at the north end of the 2nd Ave El 65th St Station. The tower controlled the x-overs and the former 66th St yard.
The 2nd Ave El 66th St Yard was built as part of the original 1880 Steam Era El. This view looking North shows the 66th St Yard leads prior to the 1905, when the yard was closed after electrification of the line in 1901.
The End of the Steam Era on the NY Elevated
On Nov 21, 1900, the Sprague Multiple Unit electric power control system began testing on the 2nd Ave El on the center track between 65th and 92nd Streets with the train shown here with power car #703 in the 66th St yard. The success of this test convinced the directors of the NY Elevated Railway to electrify the entire system.
On May 1, 1901, General Electric was contracted to electrify the NYC Elevated system.
Westinghouse was contracted to supply the power from a generating facility built at 74th St on the East River.
On Dec 30, 1901, the first regularly scheduled electric train went into service on the 2nd Ave El and the entire system would be electrified by 1903.
The Intramural Railway at the 1893 Columbian Exhibition in Chicago was the first successful electric (elevated) passenger train. However, the Frank Sprague Multiple Unit Control system afforded full scale passenger railway electrification without the use of locomotives.
West to the 2nd Ave El 72nd St Station and the 3rd Ave El in the distance - Oct 20, 1924
S/B 2nd Ave El three car MUDC train at the 80th St Station
The 2nd Ave El 86th St Station during a trolley car company strike in 1916
1915 view North on the 2nd Ave El from 84th St showing the erection of the center express track ramp for the 86th St Hump Express Station.
1915 view of the installation of the upper level express platforms of the Second Ave El 86th St Station
1940 View from 92nd St showing a S/B 2nd Ave El local train heading to the 86th St hump express station is in the distance.
The 2nd Ave El 92nd St Station was originally built as a single center island platform station show here in this 1915 before the center express track was installed and outboard platforms were built.
The 2nd Ave El 92nd St station and the former Triboro or Hell Gate Brewery building which became the Rupert Brewery
The high structure of The 2nd Ave El at 97th St
West on 97th St showing the 2nd Ave El structure and the 3rd Ave El structure in the background
The high Second Ave El structure at 97th St
The high structure of the 2nd Ave El at 98th St
S/B 2nd Ave El gate car train arriving at the 99th St Station - note the train laid-up on the center express track
South from the n/b platform of the 2nd Ave El 105th St Station showing a train laid-up on the center express track
A view of the 2nd Ave El at 106th St showing the children's procession during the Feast of St Anthony of Padua, Sept 5, 1932
1940 view of the s/b platform of the 2nd Ave El 111th St Station
The s/b platform of the 2nd Ave El Station at 117th St looking North from the n/b platform.
S/B 2nd Ave El three car MUDC train arriving at the 121st St Station
The new 125th St Station was opened in 1915 to replace the 127th St Station. Note: the original round Phoenixville columns were repaced with the square H columns because of the expansion of the structure to the three-track two-island express station format. The 127th St station was closed and removed because the structure there was modified for the approach to the new double-deck Harlem River Bridge.
The 2nd Ave El 125th St two island express station replaced the original 127th St station. The buildings on the east side of the street were cleared away for the Tri-boro Bridge approach roads.
A Steam Era (pre-1903 electrification) view looking North to the original 2nd Ave El 129th St complex. Locomotives were serviced and cars were stored on the non-revenue tracks on the right that ended at the Harlem River. The 129th St transfer platform (center right) originally serviced the the New Haven RR trains which came over the Suburban Railway Harlem River bridge that opened in 1886.
The larger 2nd and 3rd Ave El 129th St Station and Terminal complex is ahead to the left.
See the track maps at "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/L2/L2Map129a.jpg".
A fantastic view from the front of a N/B 2nd Ave El train approaching the Harlem River Bridge on the upper level track in 1940 - The vista ahead includes (from the left) the inspection building roof, the 129th St East Jct switch tower, trainmen bldg, an industrial bldg across the river, the Rupert Brewery framing the Harlem River span, a S/B train of composite cars on the upper level of the double deck El structure (under the water tower) and another N/B train in the right corner. The original 2nd Ave El end of track storage yard at the Harlem River is ahead on the lower level.
From Joe Brennans "http://warofyesterday.blogspot.com/2011/02/riding-el-12-second-avenue.html"
The Suburban Rapid Transit Co completed this two track swing bridge in 1886 to connect the 2nd Ave El with the NYNH&H RR at 132nd St and other routes in the Bronx. Note the girder-work for the 1889 connection to the 3rd Ave El at 129th St.
See "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/L3/oldbridge1.jpg" to see the track connections.
A section of the Manhattan IRT 1924 map showing 2nd and 3rd Ave Elevated lines (in blue) and the East side, Brooklyn and Queens subway lines (in red). Although most the 2nd Ave El route was on its namesake avenue, it transitioned one block East on 23rd St to 1st Ave and from there to First St and at the Houston St the street name changed to Allen. The route went south on Allen to Division where it turned South west to Chatham Sq. After the Chatham Square and the Park Row structures were rebuilt in 1916, the 2nd Ave El had its own terminal on the upper level of the City Hall Station.
The Queens Section of the IRT 1924 Map showing The 2nd Ave El (blue) sharing service with the IRT Steinway Tunnel Line (red). The Second Ave El began service over the Queensboro Bridge to Astoria on June 21, 1917 and Corona in Jan 17, 1918. The BMT 60th St Tunnel Line to Queensboro Plaza opened in 1920 and BMT El cars shared the Flushing and Astoria lines from the Plaza until 1949, when joint operation ended and the BMT took over the Astoria line. The BMT Q series El cars that ran during joint operation were transferred to the IRT 3rd Ave El.
The Second Ave El provided an open air scenic ride over the Queesboro Bridge to the 1939/40 World's Fair. This image shows the Fair El terminal, which was above the Corona train yard.
A 2nd Ave El train on the center track East of the original Willits Point Station on the Flushing Line.
Note the dual third rails (an open El rail and an overrunning covered subway rail) in this 1940 image of a 2nd Ave El gate car #875 at the rear end of a Manhattan Bound Queens train at 36th Ave Station on the Astoria Line.
The Gilbert / Metropolitan Elevated Rwy Franchise Map showing the Second Ave El, the Sixth Ave El and the uptown sections of the Ninth or West Side El that the Metropolitan Co was co-builder. See "https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=616B1F67315E9E01!5859&authkey=!bKja5eIenLA%24".
An interesting view of a 2nd Ave El train signed for 129th St
1916 Construction view of the 2nd Ave El Bergen St Cutoff structure looking South on Willis Ave from 147th St
1940 view of a S/B 2nd Ave El composite car train from the Bergen Cut-off crossing the 3rd Ave El express track on the left on the upper level junction at 144th St of the 3rd Ave El PROW between Willis and Third Ave
2nd Ave El trains operated on the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx from Tremont Ave and the Bronx Park Terminal.
West on 144th St from Willis Ave to the 2nd Ave El Bergen Cutoff Structure on the PROW
1941 image of the Bergen Cutoff two track El structure 'S' curve from the 3rd Ave El PROW between Willis and Third Ave emerging at the NW corner of Willis Ave and 145th St.
1949 view North on Willis Ave from 145th St to the curve onto Bergen Ave of the two track Bergen Cutoff El structure in the Bronx. This structure was removed in 1951/2.
1941 image of the 2nd Ave El Bergen Ave Cutoff structure curving over the intersection of Willis Ave and 147th St onto Bergen Ave
1941 image of the 2nd Ave El Bergen Ave Cutoff structure spanning the intersection of Willis Ave and 147th St. The structure was originallly built to bypass the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station in 1916.
This amazing picture is from the front of a n/b train on the Bergen Cutoff structure on Willis Ave approaching the curve onto Bergen Ave at 147th St. Ahead, North, to the junction of Willis Ave at 148th St, we see the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station. The Bergen Cutoff was the route of the famous 2nd Ave El Freeman St Express, which bypassed the 149th St Station. The Freeman St Express was continued until 1948 by the 3rd Ave El after 2nd Ave El ended operations North of 59th St in 1940. The Bergen Cutoff structure was removed about 1951/2. From Joe Brennan's
c.1926 view of a S/B 2nd Ave El Freeman St Express train between the buildings on the Bergen Ave Cut-off structure at 149th St in the Bronx which was directly over the IRT Subway portal ROW. The cut-off structure was built in 1917 on the original Suburban Railway Franchise route to Westchester Ave.
See "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/" for more information about the Bergen Cut-off.
East on 149th St to the 2nd Ave El Bergen Ave Cutoff two track structure spanning the intersection c.1926
Detail of the s/b MUDC train on the Bergen Cutoff structure between the buildings North of 149th St
West on 148th St from Bergen Ave showing the 2nd Ave El Cutoff structure spanning the intersection c.1936
The SE corner of Bergen Ave and 148th St showing the 2nd Ave El Cutoff structure spanning the intersection c.1936
1940 view East from the junction of the 2nd Ave El Bergen Cutoff with the original 3rd Ave El 150th St Connnector structure over the IRT Subway Westchester Ave Elevated structure where it and the cutoff curve onto the subway portal ROW to Bergen Ave. From Joe Brennans "http://warofyesterday.blogspot.com/2011/02/riding-el-12-second-avenue.html"
1904 view East to St Anns Junction on the IRT Westchester Ave Subway Elevated structure from the 3rd Ave El tracks from the 150th St connector ramp down to the junction with outer subway tracks. 2nd and 3rd Ave El trains ran on the line until the IRT Harlem River subway tunnels were opened for train traffic to the Westchester Ave El in 1905. See "https://picasaweb.google.com/116363262722377355677/Bronx3rdAveEl#5606070796318261666"
1904 view West on the Westchester Ave El to St Anns Junction and the ramp to the 3rd Ave El 150th St connection. The Subway tracks ramped down and under the El tracks to make a flying junction to the subway portal ROW.
NY City Second Ave El gate cars continued to serve after the El ceased operation in 1942 by being converted to operate with overhead trolley wire on the Shipyard Railway in Oakland, California during WWII.