The Third Ave El Harlem River Bridge looking North to the Bronx from 129th St in Manhattan was removed after service South of 149th St was discontinued in 1955 ending 85 years of Elevated Railway service in Manhattan. The Second Ave El shared the bridge until 1940. The four-track double-deck bridge replaced the original (1886) Suburban Railway two track bridge in 1916.
See Time Traveling on the Manhattan 3rd Ave El at "http://timetraveler3.weebly.com".
and Time Traveling on the Bronx 3rd Ave El at "http://bronxtimetraveler3.weebly.com".
1903 image of a N/B 3rd Ave El train with an open car crossing over the NYNH&H yard at the Harlem River in the Bronx. The Forney steam locomotives were stored here after electrification of the elevated system. The locomotives would be sold to various short lines and lumber and other industrial companies which could use the light weight engines. The ramp to the New Haven RR Harlem River passenger terminal is on the left. (See next)
1931 view of the passageway to the 3rd Ave El 133rd St Station (on the left) from the New Haven RR Harlem River Terminal at 132nd St that was built in 1924 to serve the New York Westchester & Boston Rwy passenger transfers. The walkway replaced the El shuttle service to the 129th St Terminal that used the ramp to the Harlem River Bridge which was originally used by New Haven Steam trains. See "https://picasaweb.google.com/116363262722377355677/NYC3rdAveEl#5544807669006486514" and "http://forgottenbronxtransit.mysite.com"
The stairway on the right went up to the Willis Ave vehicular Bridge.
A little known section of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx was the spur to the New Haven and the New York Boston & Westchester Harlem River passenger Terminal at 132nd St near the Willis Ave Bridge. This 1950 photo shows a train of IRT Composite cars on a fan trip on the spur. The Harlem River spur was built in 1888 along with the Suburban Railway bridge to the Bronx provide a link for New Haven passenger trains cross the bridge to get to the 2nd and 3rd Ave El terminal at 129th St. The RR service was replaced by an El shuttle service in 1904. The NY Boston & Westchester RR also began using the terminal in 1912, which increased the El shuttle service. A covered passageway between the Harlem River RR Terminal and 3rd Ave El 133rd St station was built in 1924. That passageway was built to eliminate the shuttle service. The spur remained in non-revenue service to connect with a material yard. The Harlem River spur of the 3rd Ave El was disconnected from the El when the structure South of 149th St was removed.
The spur to the Harlem River Terminal remained in non-revenue service to connect with a material yard, where the El received freight deliveries from the railroad. The Material Yard near 132nd St was also a very obscure piece of the El that was rarely if ever seen by the riding public. One of the functions of the spur that remained to the end of service in Manhattan in 1955, was the use of the spur as a siding for coal hopper cars. The coal was for the pot-belly stoves that were in every station on the El system. The Harlem River spur of the 3rd Ave El was disconnected from the El when the structure South of 149th St was removed. However, a piece of the ramp remained for use as a coal siding for several years thereafter and may have lasted until the year 2000 or so.
c.1950 view of St Jerome School students out on 137th St with the double-deck 3rd Ave El 138th St Station structure in the background.
A S/B 2nd or 3rd Ave El Composite car Express train heading to the 138th St Station. The ramp up from the lower level is seen in the distance. After the end of service to Manhattan in 1955 that ramp was used as the turn back for the trains until the x-over and signals were ready at 149th St. The double-deck structure south of 149th St was subsequently removed.
West on 143rd St from Brook Ave to the 3rd Ave El in the distance
East on 140th St from Alexander Ave showing the double deck 3rd Ave El structure showing the ramp to the upper express level. The double deck El structure south of 144th St is described at "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/"
East on 144th St from Third Ave showing the junction of the 3rd Ave El and Bergen Cut-off, which curves away to Willis Ave. The upper level was used by 2nd and 3rd Ave El Express Trains. Only the 2nd Ave Freeman St Express used the cut-off. See the next image of the upper level junction.
North from the upper level junction at 144th St showing a S/B 2nd Ave El train coming from the Bergen Cut-off on Willis Ave crossing the N/B Third Ave El express track diamond to junction with S/B express track on the PROW in between Willis Ave and Third Ave
The 3rd Ave El South of 149th St became an engineering feat. This is a 1914 view of the center express track ramp being installed South of 145th St where the structure curved off Third Ave onto the Suburban PROW. The single-track ramp went to join the Bergen Cut-off on the upper level and the lower tracks remained as the lower deck of the double-deck structure at 144th St. Note: This photo is labeled as 143rd St, which is the next station South of here.
1930's Southwest view of the intersection of 148th St and Willis Ave (trolley car) showing the South end of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station express platforms and the Bergen Cutoff structure curve from Willis Ave to Bergen Ave at 147th St on the left. I saw the cutoff structure from the 149th St El Station once before the cutoff structure was removed. The seven story building at the intersection was originally the Knickerbocker Trust Company, which became the Bronx County Trust Co. The Dollar Savings Bank building is at the corner of 147th St. (see next)
This amazing picture is from the front of a n/b train on the Bergen Cutoff structure on Willis Ave approaching the curve onto Bergen Ave at 147th St. Ahead, North, to the junction of Willis Ave at 148th St, we see the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station. The Bergen Cutoff was the route of the famous 2nd Ave El Freeman St Express, which bypassed the 149th St Station. The Freeman St Express was continued until 1948 by the 3rd Ave El after 2nd Ave El ended operations North of 59th St in 1940. The Bergen Cutoff structure was removed about 1951/2.
1915 view North from 2787 Third Ave, just below 147th St in the Bronx, showing the conversion of the 3rd Ave El 149th St station from the two track single island platform to the three-track, two-island express station format. Note that the new S/B track-way has been installed. The new S/B platform will occupy the place of the current S/B track. The center express track will occupy the place of the current platform. A blurred work train appears to be on the N/B track.
1914 image of the conversion of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station from the original two track, single island format to the three track, two island express station configuration. The structure is braced on a girder to spread the weight out over the area where the IRT Subway is below 149th St.
1905 view of the 3rd Ave El 149th St station looking South out Willis Ave showing a S/B train in the station and another waiting to enter the station.
1905 Post Card view south showing a Union Rwy Trolley on Melrose Ave alongside the IRT Subway Kiosk and the 3rd Ave El (two track) 149th St Station - This intersection was known as the Bronx Hub because of the all the trolley lines, the El and the Subway converging and radiating from here. See "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/".
1938 Overhead view of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station looking north showing the 150th St Junction with the remaining single track connector to the Westchester Ave El.
See my Bronx Hub website "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/".
The spire of Immaculate Conception Church on Melrose Ave and 150th St is prominent in this 1926 Brown Bros view West on 149th St to the 3rd Ave El structure from Bergen Ave.
1905 Post Card view of the IRT Subway portal at 149th St just East of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station - The portal and ROW would be covered by the Bergen Cutoff El structure in 1916. The 3rd Ave El and the Bergen Cutoff and the buildings that once surrounded the portal ROW are all gone now and the area is open again as it was in 1905. The remains of the Bergen Cut-off pillars are still embedded in the retaining walls of the portal entry.
Compare this 1924 aerial "http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Babydux/Bronx/TheHub.jpg"
The 3rd Ave El Junction to the IRT Westchester Ave Subway elevated structure at 150th St in the Bronx was installed in 1904 as a two track level crossing. See "https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fdAeg4APOONwg-3Sjj4kTNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink".
A 1930 street level view South on Third Ave at the junction of Westchester Ave at 150th St - Above is the 3rd Ave El and the switch tower that controlled the junction with the connector to the Westchester Ave El. At this time the connector was not in revenue service as the Bergen Cut-off structure, which joined with the connector a few blocks East of here at the junction to the subway portal, replaced this connection in 1918. The Westchester Ave connector structure was installed in 1904 and remained until 1951, when it and the Bergen Cut-off structure were both removed.
1974 view of one of the famous landmarks of the Bronx 3rd Ave El, the switch tower and the stub of the Westchester Ave connector at 150th St. The center track was removed from here to the 156th St station after the Manhattan El shut down in April, 1955.
A final 1974 view of the 3rd Ave El 150th St stub that was a reminder of an earlier Era when 149th St and Third Ave was the 'Hub' of transit activity in the Bronx as this stub was the remainder of the 1904 connection to the Westchester Elevated extension of the IRT Subway. Although the Westchester Ave connector was redundant after completion of the Bergen Cut-off structure in 1918, the connector structure carried the power feeder cables to the Westchester Ave structure until 1951, when the connector and cut-off structures were removed.
1915 view West on the Westchester Ave El connection to the 3rd Ave El at 150th St showing a work train with a derrick car during construction of the Bergen Cut-off. The 150th St connector was built in 1904 to open the Westchester Ave Route of the Suburban Railway Franchise to became the extension of the IRT Subway. Upon completion of the Bergen Cut-off in 1918, the 150th St connector would become a non-revenue emergency connection because it carried the power feeder cables to the Westchester Ave structure and would be removed in 1951 with the Bergen Cut-off.
July 22, 1915 view of the derrick car on the 3rd Ave El Westchester Ave connector handling a beam for the construction of the Bergen Ave Cut-off junction with the connector structure.
1973 view South on the the 3rd Ave El from 158th St and Washington Ave to the 156th St station ahead. This was the end of the 'S' curve from 161st St and St Ann's Ave.
An interesting 1901 (Steam Era) view of the 3rd Ave El two-track structure just West of Brook Ave where the Port Morris & Spuyten Duyvil RR passes under the street identified by the bridge railing on the right. The blurred item is a s/b trolley car following the El structure to curve South at Washington Ave ahead.
The trench along the side of the road is for the underground electric conduit for the 3rd Ave El, which will be electrified in 1903.
1901 view South from Brook Ave along the Port Morris and Spuyten Duyvil RR ROW at Third Ave. The Port Morris RR was built in 1872. This bridgework and retaining wall may have been built about the time the 3rd Ave El was built here in 1885. Upon viewing this location today, from in back of the courthouse building, there is no evidence that a railway was ever beneath the street here and of course, the El structure was removed in 1975. The five-story building ahead is still there, somewhat modified.
Compare this 1974 view of the Third Ave El looking West from Brook Ave at 161st St with the previous image. The old (1914) Bronx County Courthouse is on the right and Brook Ave is full of apartment houses. The 3rd Ave El ended operation in April of 1973. However, this section of the El remained to carry the power feeder cables from Substation #8 to the IRT Subway at 149th St until underground conduits were built.
Note the IRT White Plains Road Line structure in the distance looking South on St Ann's Ave from 3rd Ave El at 161st St c.1970. The Bronx 3rd Ave El would have been more viable had it been connected to the White Plains Road Line from here or with the Pelham Bay Line at 138th St.
Most of the 3rd Ave El structure in the Bronx was demolished in 1974. However, the structure from Substation #8 at 162nd St to 149th St was retained to carry the power feeder cables to the IRT Subway until another substation could be utilized.
From the Bill Palter collection.
Note the pockets for the future center track-way in this 1900 view of the two-track 3rd Ave El 161st St Station
1914 street view of the 161st station during the transition from the two-track center island station w/mezzanine format to the three-track outboard platform station format. The platform out-riggers can be seen in the distance looking North up Third Ave.
The 3rd Ave El 161st St Station was the site of the Bronx County Courthouse and was at the intersection of St Ann's Ave which had a trolley line as seen here in this April 30, 1941 image by P L Sperr. The Manhattan Elevated Railway Substation #8 was also located here and supplied power to the IRT Westchester Ave Line with cables from here to 149th St.
South from under the 3rd Ave El structure at the intersection of the Boston Post Road
1914 view North from 166th St, showing the Third Ave El in the Bronx being rebuilt from a two-track structure to a three-track structure. Every bent and pillar on the El was replaced from 149th St to Tremont Ave. All the center island stations were rebuilt to outboard platforms except for Tremont Ave and Fordham Road, which became two island platform express stations.
1915 view of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx just North of 165th St showing the new El pillars in preparation for the installation of the center track and the rebuilding of the 166th St station from the center island format to the outboard platform format using the wing girders seen above
The exact location of this 1915 view of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx at Bent #858 was determined by matching the five story building on the left the to the building in the next (1956) image of the 169th St Station. This 1915 photograph was taken from the North end of the 169th St center island station platform, which was being replaced by the new center track at that time. Most of the older buildings along Third Ave South of 183rd St are long gone.
Steel IRT Steinway Red Line Subway cars replaced the wooden El cars in 1956 on the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx. Note that the El type uncovered third rail is still in use as a S/B train of subway cars is arriving the 169th St Station. Worlds Fair Q type cars were laid up on the former center express track until 1958 before being sent back to the BMT to run on the Myrtle Ave El.
This Post card view of the 3rd Ave El Wendover Ave station is an example of the two track single island format of the line in the Bronx as originally built to 177th St in the Steam Era in 1891. Wendover Ave and station would be renamed to Claremont Parkway, which is in between 171st St and 172nd St, as the station would later be signed. See "http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2728".
1973 view of a S/B train at the 174th St station
The last enhancement to the Third Ave El occurred in 1954 when the structure between 174th St and the Tremont Ave station was raised to clear the Cross Bronx Expressway that was under construction as seen in this view looking South from the hill below the former Bronx County Bldg. See next...
1973 view of a N/B 3rd Ave El train just North of the long thru-girder span of the Cross Bronx Expressway as seen from the former Bronx County Admin Bldg South of Tremont Ave by Joe Testagrose.
The 3rd Ave El Tremont Ave Station was expanded from a two track single island platform to a three track two island platform station in 1915.
South on Third Ave in the Bronx showing the 3rd Ave El Tremont - 177th St Station in 1900. See the next image looking North from here. Note; the original Bronx El was built as a two-track structure with single center island platform stations.
On July 20, 1891 Suburban Rwy El service was extended to 174th and 177th St and Third Avenue in the Bronx. This 1900 image shows the footings for the 3rd Ave El columns being installed along Third Ave North from 178th St in the Bronx so that the line could be completed to Pelham Avenue. See the previous image for the view South to 177th St. The stations at 180th, 183rd Street and Fordham Road opened on July 1, 1901.
1900 construction image of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx at 179th St looking South from 180th St, where the next station will be. The track-way branch to the 179th St Yard is also shown and the yard will open in 1901. (see next)
1903 view of the back of the 179th St Yard looking South from 180th when it was electrified for both 2nd and 3rd Ave El trains. The yard was in service from 1901 to 1951.
Aug 31, 1942 view of the Bronx 3rd Ave El 180th St station looking East by P L Sperr, who photographed many locations of the NY City Els collection before they passed into history. From in the NYPL Digital collection
North from the 3rd Ave El 180th St station showing gate car trains laid up on the center track and a n/b MUDC train
c.1905 view of the original 3rd Ave El 183rd St two-track single island platform station. All of the Bronx Suburban Rwy stations on Third Ave had this format until 1915, when the center express track was installed North of 144th St.
1974 (pre-demolition) view North from the 3rd Ave El 183rd St station uptown platform showing the curve to Fordham Road
1973 image showing the 3rd Ave El structure curving at 184th St follow the franchise route of the New York, Fordham and Bronx Rwy for 1/2 mile NE on the former Kingsbridge Road to get to the Fordham (Pelham) Road Terminal.
Aug 27, 1942 view South on Lorillard Pl to the 3rd Ave El from 187th St during WWII by P L Sperr
1965 image of a S/B 3rd Ave El train at 189th St, South of the Fordham Road Station, heading SE to get to the next stop at 183rd St. Park Ave and the depressed tracks of the NY Central Harlem Division are to the right.
East to the 3rd Ave El Fordham Road Station in the 40's showing a s/b train entering the station and a TARS Trolley heading west. The switch tower for Botanical Garden Jct straddled the express station platforms. The station entrance was at the north end of the station. The original line proceeded north from here over private ROW alongside the NY Central RR ROW to the Botanical Garden Terminal. The street known as Third Ave, was named for the El above it, and the street railway ended here.
NY Central Fordham Road station showing a n/b P2b electric locomotive & train emerging from the tunnel under Fordham Plaza. The 3rd Ave El structure on PROW is above to the left. The switch tower that straddled the El station platforms is at center top. See "http://sdrv.ms/19aiwXX".
1973 view South to the 3rd Ave El Fordham Road Station and the switch tower straddled the platforms and controlled the former junction to the Bronx Park Terminal. The NY Central Harlem Div Fordham Road Station occupies the lower right of the picture.
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-04-01/index.html"
Aug 7, 1942 view East on 194th St from Decatur Ave to Webster Ave and the 3rd Ave El on the PROW North of Fordham Road at the junction for the Botanical Garden Terminal Spur and the Webster Ave extension, which crossed the NY Central ROW.
1924 aerial view of the junction of the 3rd Ave El Bronx Park Spur on the right and the Webster Ave Extension crossing over the NY Central Harlem Div ROW at 194th St North of Fordham Road. The walkway over the Fordham Freight Yard and RR ROW from Webster Ave at 198th St (left) to the domed Botanical Garden Terminal building and the walkway from the Botanical Gardens (right) is at the top of the image.
The Fordham University Campus is on the right.
Sadly, the the Bronx 3rd Ave El ceased operations in 1973 and the structure was removed. In a few locations, like the span over the RR tracks North of Fordham Road at 194th St, the structure remained until a contractor with heavier equipment and agreement of the RR to remove the span from over the ROW occurred. Other remaining sections were at Mosholu Parkway and the structure from Substation #8 at 161st St which carried the power feeder cables to the IRT Subway at 149th St. See "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.office.live.com/self.aspx/L3/BXEL3/L3161x.jpg".
The last vestige of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx are the skeletal ramps to the former lower level of the Gun Hill Road Station on White Plains Road, which has also been dismantled recently. See "http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?90792".
North on the Bronx Park spur to the Botanical Garden Terminal. Note 3rd Ave El train on the Webster Ave to the left and the NY Central RR Harlem Division Fordham Freight Yard. The Bronx Park spur and the Botanical Garden Terminal was on PROW East of the RR ROW and West of Fordham University.
See Joe Brennan's "http://warofyesterday.blogspot.com/2009/08/botanical-garden.html"
See the Youtube videos "1930's train ride. Denver & New York Central Electric, Part 1" and "1930's train ride New York Central electric part 2", that contain views of the Botanical Garden Terminal. The first half of Part 1 is a ride on the Denver Zepher. The next half is the trip north from 125th St
to Wakefield or Fleetwood? at "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H31rJ4e9Arc". Part 2 is the trip from the 238th St Bridge South to
Murray Hill at "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvgOFhROwSE".
We attempted to capture some scenes. However, the video is too pixillated.
1903 view West from the park to the new Third Ave El Botanical Garden Terminal. The domed roof emulated the conservatories in the park.
The Botanical Garden terminal was opened in 1902 on PROW next to the NY Central RR. A walkway spanned the RR tracks to a storefront entrance on Webster Ave at 198th St. The terminal was the end of the line until 1920, when the Webster Ave Extension to Gun Hill Road opened. The terminal was closed in 1951 and removed.
The car elevator at the 3rd Ave El Botanical Garden Terminal was used to lower and raise the open cars, which were stored in the brick storage building under the walkway at the north end of the terminal. There was also a transfer table which positioned the cars in front of the doors of storage building. The Bronx Park Spur and Terminal was closed in 1951.
Postal Card view of the 3rd Ave El Botanical Garden Terminal with its domed roof to emulate the conservatories in the park. The Botanical Garden terminal was opened in 1902 on PROW next to the NY Central RR and it was the end of the line until 1920, when the Webster Ave Extension to Gun Hill Road opened. The terminal was closed in 1951 and removed.
1973 view of the Third Ave El 200th St Station from above looking northeast showing a 5 car southbound train in the station. The Metro North (formerly the NY Central Harlem Div) Botanical Garden Station is seen in upper right.
A 1973 view of the Third Ave El 200th St Station Looking north from the southbound platform with a northbound train in the station. The Botanical Square apartment building occupies the center left. To the far right is the Bronx Botanical Garden Museum Building. The center track was removed south of Mosholu Pkwy, although the subway type covered third rail was installed to just north of the Fordham Road station.
West to the Third Ave El 200th St Sation on Webster Ave from the bridge over the NY Central Harlem Division Tracks
1949 aerial view of the 3rd Ave El 200th St station on Webster Ave
The diagonal cut buildings in the upper right back into the NY Central Fordham Freight yard.
1974 demolition of the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave at 200th St outside the A&P
1973 view North on Webster Ave at 201st St showing the 3rd Ave El structure increasing in height to pass over Mosholu Pkwy in the distance
S/B 3rd Ave El MUDC train descending the grade from Mosholu Pkwy to the 200th St Station
1920 view North on Webster Ave, from Botanical Square and Mosholu Pkwy South (opposite) showing the graceful steel arches of this section of the 3rd Ave El structure in the Bronx. The 52nd Precinct is out of site to the right. Later, a comfort station will be built in the park and Frisch Field will be across the street.
Overhead view of the 3rd Ave El at Mosholu Pkwy South showing a 4 car s/b train on the unique curved steel arch structure on Webster Ave that rivaled the height of the famous Suicide Curve on 9th Ave El at 110th St as shown at
Here I am with Dad up on Mosholu Parkway in 1944 with the 3rd Ave El structure on Webster Ave in the background. Now, you know why the 3rd Ave El Mosholu Pkwy structure of the is My favorite subject.
S/B 3rd Ave El train on the Mosholu Pkwy structure over Webster Ave looking North.
S/B 3rd Ave El train on the Mosholu Pkwy structure South of the Parkway
East on Mosholu Pkwy showing a 3rd Ave El train of IRT Worlds Fair cars passing over the Parkway.
Compare this image to one dated 35 years earlier at
The 3rd Ave El long steel arch span over Mosholu Parkway above Webster Ave looking East towards the Bronx Botanical Gardens. The Mosholu Parkway span of Webster Ave is identified by the truss structures in the foreground. The truss in the distance identifies the Mosholu Pkwy bridge over the New York Central RR Harlem Division ROW. This 1936 image shows a train of IRT composite cars laid-up on the center track, which was a common site on the El here right up until 1973 when the El ceased operation. This section of the El lasted a little longer that the rest of the structure. (see next)
1970 view West on Mosholu Parkway from Frisch Field (on the left) with a N/B 3rd Ave El train on the long steel arch span over the parkway and Webster Ave below. The brick wall was installed about 1960 when the original wood rail seats were replaced that had completely disintegrated since the 1939 opening of the baseball field.
1950 street view looking North from the Mosholu Parkway Bridge over Webster Ave under the 3rd Ave El steel arch decked structure.
1950 street view South looking under the Mosholu Parkway Bridge over Webster Ave from under the 3rd Ave El steel arch structure.
1974 view of my favorite section of high steel arched 3rd Ave El structure at Mosholu Parkway which remained a little longer after the rest of the El was demolished until the proper equipment to remove the structure was contracted.
1973 view North on the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave from 203rd St to the 204th St station ahead showing a train laid up on the center track. Webster Ave and the El jog to the left (West) at 204th St.
West on 204th St to Webster Ave showing a 3rd Ave El train of IRT LoV subway cars laid-up on the center track at midday South of the 204th St Station (out of view to the right).
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/3rd-ave-low-v.html"
1920 Construction view North of the 204th St station structures that were mirror images of themselves. There was a stairway to the street from each station house. However, only the downtown (left) side was equipped a change booth and a pot-belly stove. The Webster Ave 3rd Ave El structure was built with a center track. However, no express trains ever went North of Fordham Road or South of Gun Hill Road on the center track.
1973 view East on 204th St to Webster Ave and Bronx Park. The 3rd Ave El 204th St Station is out of sight to the North (left) on Webster Ave. The bridge at the end of 204th St Spans the NY Central Harlem Division Tracks to Bronx Park. 204th St was named originally Woodlawn Road.
N/B 3rd Ave El train of IRT LowV cars and a train laid-up on the center track looking southeast from the 204th St Station downtown platform
Overhead view of the 3rd Ave El 204th St Station showing a 4 car s/b train of IRT LowVs at the station and another train laid-up on the center track
South on Webster Ave from 204th St under the 3rd Ave El from the George Malave collection at
A Pre-1941 view of a n/b 3rd Ave El Gate car train departing the 204th St Station uptown platform
The Third Ave El 204th St (my) Station sign
1939 view North on Webster Ave from 204th St showing the 3rd Ave El and the scene of the crime
June 29, 1932 view East on 205th Street from Decatur Ave to the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave showing the restoration of the street upon completion of the end of the IND Concourse Subway beneath the street - photo from the NY Transit Museum. The tracks under this street dead-end at Webster Ave and are used to turn back trains from the 205th St terminal, which is two blocks West of here at Perry Ave. The 3rd Ave El 204th St station was one block south on Webster Ave.
1973 view East on 205th St to Webster Ave showing the 3rd Ave El and Bronx Park in the distance
The IND Concourse Subway Line dead ends under this street at Webster Ave. The Metro North Harlem Div four track ROW and the Bronx River is below the end of the 205th St.
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-10-03/index.html"
1950 view of a 3rd Ave El Q car train laid-up on the center track at 205th St on the Webster Ave Extension of the El
The Q cars came from the BMT Queensboro Plaza dual operation over the Astoria and Flushing Lines after the dual operation ended in 1949 and the Astoria Line became a BMT Line. The Q cars were transferred to the 3rd Ave El where they ran as rush hour expresses in Manhattan to replace the aging IRT Composite cars. After the cessation of Manhattan service in 1955, the Q cars remained in Bronx service for another year until all the wood El cars were replaced by IRT subway cars. The Q cars were then sent to run on the Brooklyn Myrtle Ave El.
North on the 3rd Ave El structure on Webster at 205th St showing Parkside Place rising above the El to 207th St on the left and the structure on Gun Hill Road in the distance.
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-04-02/index.html"
See the street view at "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Bronx/Webster205n.jpg"
The loss of the Bronx 3rd Ave El in my old neighborhood is documented in this 1974 view of Webster Ave below Parkside Place and 207th St by Steve Zabel.
1918 construction image of the 3rd Ave El extension on Webster Ave at Parkside Place just South of the 210th St Station.
N/B MUDC train coming into the 210th St station on Webster Ave with a gate car train laid up on the center track c.1940 - The NY Central Harlem Division four track ROW is below alongside the Bronx River.
1920 Construction view North of the Williamsbridge 210th St station. There was no East-West street named 210th St in the Williamsbridge area. The main cross street North of this station was Gun Hill Road. However, that name was set for the IRT station of White Plains Road extension of the Westchester Ave Line. So, this 3rd Ave El station on Webster Ave was named for area, which was also the name of the NY Central RR Station, which was accessed from Gun Hill Road. The 3rd Ave El route curved onto Gun Hill Road to cross the Bronx River Valley and the NY Central tracks to junction with the IRT extension on White Plains Road.
A 1971 Bronx 3rd Ave El fan trip utilized this special viewing car at the rear of the train departing from the 210th St Station.
North from the 3rd Ave El 210th St Station showing a train laid up on the center track and the 90 degree curve onto Gun Hill Road c.1964.
South on Webster Ave showing the 3rd Ave El structure curve from Gun Hill Road c.1973.
1918 view of Gun Hill Road looking West from the Bronx River with the 3rd Ave El being constructed overhead.
One of the amazing sights on the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx was this track level view looking East over Gun Hill Road and Bronx Blvd below to the double-deck junction with the White Plains Road Line. Sadly, this was the final view of the junction, from the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-04-02/index.html"
North on Bronx Blvd to Gun Hill Road and the 3rd Ave El.
The Bronx River Parkway is 100 yards West on the other side of the river.
North on Bronx Blvd to Gun Hill Road and the 3rd ave El c.1936
East on Gun Hill Road to the 3rd Ave El junction at the White Plains Road double-deck White Plains Road station.
Northwest view of the 3rd Ave El Gun Hill Road Structure from the upper platform of the White Plains Road Line
A 3rd Ave El MUDC train on the lower level of the Gun Hill Road Station on White Plains Road c.1949.
One of the greatest events in Bronx history was the construction of the double deck IRT Gun Hill Road Station on White Plains Road. This 1918 image shows the construction of the station, which will serve the Webster Ave extension of the 3rd Ave El and the Westchester Ave Subway extension from West Farms, which will become known as the White Plains Road Line.
The Last Gate Car on the El. This 2nd Ave El car was fitted for service on the Dyre Ave Line in 1940 and returned to the 3rd Ave El in 1952. The car was used in work service until the original wooden MUDC and 1939 Worlds Fair cars were replaced by the IRT Low-V subway cars. The picture was taken at the 239th St Yard, which was shared by the IRT White Plains Road Line and the 3rd Ave El.
A Third Ave El train is seen here at the White Plains Road Line 241st Terminal in this 1924 image. Although it was not part of the 3rd Ave El, The IRT White Plains Road extension from Gun Hill afforded 3rd Ave El trains an extension up the ramp at Gun Hill to the 241st St Terminal at the City Line until 1949. It was a seventeen mile El trip from the 241st St terminal to South Ferry. The line North of Gun Hill was one of the dual third-rail sections of the IRT elevated extensions.
This 1904 IRT map of the Subway (red) and Els (blue) in the Bronx and Northern Manhattan shows some interesting aspects of the early history of rapid transit in the Bronx. The 3rd Ave El was a two track structure then and only wet to 200th St, which was the Botanical Garden Terminal. The original subway route to Bronx Park (Zoo) was operated by the El from the connection at 150th St. The Broadway Subway had not been completed to the Bronx as yet and the proposed terminal was at Baily Ave where the junction of Hudson River RR and the Putnam RR was when Spuyten Duyvil Creek made Marble Hill an island.
See our Bronx 3rd Ave El Time Traveling Website "http://timetraveler3.weebly.com/".