This 1904 IRT map of the Subway (red) and Els (blue) in the Bronx and Northern Manhattan shows some interesting aspects of the early history of rapid transit in the Bronx. The 3rd Ave El was a two track structure then and only went to 200th St, which was the Botanical Garden Terminal. The original subway route to Bronx Park (Zoo) was operated by the El from the connection at 150th St. The Broadway Subway had not been completed to the Bronx as yet and the proposed terminal was at Baily Ave where the junction of Hudson River RR and the Putnam RR was when Spuyten Duyvil Creek made Marble Hill part of Manhattan island.
See our Bronx 3rd Ave El Website "http://timetraveler3.weebly.com/".
The Third Ave El Harlem River Bridge looking North to the Bronx from 129th St in Manhattan was removed after service South of 149th St was discontinued in 1955 ending 85 years of Elevated Railway service in Manhattan. The Second Ave El shared the bridge until 1940. The four-track double-deck bridge replaced the original (1886) Suburban Railway two track bridge in 1916.
See Time Traveling on the Manhattan 3rd Ave El at "http://timetraveler3.weebly.com".
and Time Traveling on the Bronx 3rd Ave El at "http://bronxtimetraveler3.weebly.com".
1903 image of a N/B 3rd Ave El train with an open car crossing over the NYNH&H yard at the Harlem River in the Bronx. The Forney steam locomotives were stored here after electrification of the elevated system. The locomotives would be sold to various short lines and lumber and other industrial companies which could use the light weight engines. The ramp to the New Haven RR Harlem River passenger terminal is on the left. (See next)
1955 view of the 3rd Ave El double-deck viaduct approach to the Harlem River bridge showing a S/B local train on the lower level. The upper level was for express trains. The reverse 'S' viaduct spanned the New Haven RR Harlem River freight yard from the 133rd St station South to the bridge, which is out of sight to the Right. The industrial building on the left still stands at the corner of Alexander Ave and 132nd St.
c.1912 showing the path of the 3rd Ave El (Suburban Railway) viaduct across the New Haven Freight Yard from the Harlem River Bridge to the PROW in between Alexander Ave and Willis Ave and the ramp to the New Haven RR passenger terminal.
1919 overhead view of the 3rd Ave El New Haven RR spur at the tower just East of the Willis Ave Bridge.
1916 ground level view of the 3rd Ave El 132nd St yard under the Willis Ave Bridge. A C&O interchange flat car is on the structure which may have delivered material for the construction of the 3rd Ave El express track.
April 12, 1931 view by P L Sperr of the passageway to the 3rd Ave El 133rd St Station (on the left) from the New York Westchester & Boston RR Harlem River Terminal at 132nd St. The walkway was built in 1924 to replace the El shuttle service to the 129th St Terminal on the ramp to the Harlem River Bridge. originally used by New Haven Steam trains. See "https://picasaweb.google.com/116363262722377355677/NYC3rdAveEl#5544807669006486514" and "http://forgottenbronxtransit.mysite.com"
The stairway on the right went up to the Willis Ave vehicular Bridge.
c.1940 view of the 3rd Ave El Material Yard at 132nd St showing the last two remaining Manhattan Elevated Railway Forney steam locomotives stored at the yard. The 3rd Ave El material yard is one of the little known places in the lower part of the Bronx in the New Haven Harlem River freight yard area.
The loco with the curved stack, #113, was used in the construction of the IRT Subway from 1900 to 1904 and then was used at the 9th Ave El 159th St yard for switching on the non-electrified tracks and at the dock there where materials were brought in there. The straight stack loco, #137, was used at the this material yard and the other non-electrified tracks in the Harlem yard. There was a shed for the loco up on the viaduct structure.
c.1942 view of 3rd Ave El 132nd St yard off of the New Haven RR spur showing a gate car train on the final trip to be scrapped. With only the 3rd Ave El remaining in Manhattan, the gate cars were no longer needed for service as there was an abundance of MUDC's to handle the remaining 3rd Ave El traffic in Manhattan and the Bronx. Trains of IRT Composite cars are laid-up on the upper level of the 3rd Ave El viaduct in the background.
1942 view of the 3rd Ave El storage yard at 132nd St looking South down from the Willis Ave Bridge. The two Forney locos that were in the material yard are covered in an attempt to preserve them. However, they will be scrapped at the end of 1942. A bunch of 2nd Ave El gate cars are stored that will be sent to Oakland, California to run on the Shipyard Railway out there. The covered walkway ramp from the former NYW&B terminal to the 133rd St station is in the distance.
c.1942 view of some old El cars stored in the 132nd St yard West of the Willis Ave Bridge. That string of 30 ft Flat cars is probably over 50 years at this time, as are those gate cars with side doors. The car on the end will become the celebrated pay car 'G'. The car with center door may have gone to a private collector and last one, a former express car became a work/tool cars on the 3rd Ave El.
A little known section of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx was the spur to the New Haven RR Harlem River passenger Terminal at 132nd St near the Willis Ave Bridge. This 1950 photo shows a train of IRT Composite cars on a fan trip on the spur. The Harlem River spur was built in 1888 along with the Suburban Railway bridge to the Bronx provide a link for New Haven RR passenger trains cross the bridge to get to the 2nd and 3rd Ave El terminal at 129th St. The steam RR service was replaced by an El shuttle service in 1904. The NY Boston & Westchester RR also began using the terminal in 1912, which increased the El shuttle service. A covered passageway between the Harlem River RR Terminal and 3rd Ave El 133rd St station was built in 1924 to eliminate the shuttle service. The spur remained in non-revenue service to connect with a material yard. The Harlem River spur was disconnected when the El structure South of 149th St to the Harlem River was removed in 1958.
After the New Haven/NYW&B - 129th St 3rd Ave El shuttle ended in 1924, the Harlem River Terminal spur remained in non-revenue service for yard access and storage and coal and material deliveries from the railroad. Coal was used in all the pot-belly stoves that were in every station on the El system. The 132nd St Material Yard was an obscure piece of the El that was rarely if ever seen by the riding public. Coal hopper cars were delivered until the end of to Manhattan service in 1955. The spur ramp was disconnected when the Harlem River Bridge was removed. However, a piece of the ramp remained for use as a coal siding for several years thereafter and may have lasted until the year 2000 or so.
c.1885 view of The Suburban RR viaduct, that snaked its way over the New Haven RR freight yard to align with the Suburban RR PROW between Alexander Ave and Willis Ave at 133rd St (out of picture to right).
Later, another ground level ramp from the lower level New Haven viaduct will be built to a repair shop was located in the area between the two viaduct structures South of 133rd St, where the shed is in the foreground of this photo.
The trip across the Suburban viaduct brought the El train to the 133rd St Station. This is how the station appeared when it was new in 1886. There were no other buildings around the station at that time and it was only a two-track line.
1940s view of a 3rd Ave El Composite car train coming off the Harlem River viaduct into the upper level of the 133rd st Station. The Triboro Bridge is seen on the left looking South.
1940s view of a 3rd Ave El gate car train coming off the Harlem River viaduct into the upper level of the 133rd st Station. The Willis Ave Bridge over the New Haven RR yard and the Triboro Bridge are seen on the left looking South. A conductor is standing by the gate on each car.
1915 reconstruction view of the 3rd Ave El viaduct at 133rd St showing the North end of the repair shed in between the two viaduct structures.
1915 reconstruction view of the 3rd Ave El 133rd st station.
1949 view of a S/B Q car train passing over the Major Deegan Expressway at the lower level of the 3rd Ave El 133rd St station, which was the last stop in the Bronx before crossing the Harlem River to Manhattan until 1955 when the Bronx 3rd El was cut back to 149th St. It was the first and oldest El station of the Suburban Railway extension to the Bronx in 1886. The Q cars were the newest equipment on the 3rd Ave El at this time even though the Q cars were rebuilt from BMT (BRT) gate cars that were as old as the IRT MUDC's that were converted from Manhattan El gate cars. The 133rd St station was rebuilt in 1916 when the upper level express tracks were installed and also in 1938 when the highway to the Triboro Bridge was built requiring those massive concrete abutments and that extended truss for the expressway to pass under the El here just North of 134th St. The house abutting the El PROW is on 135th St.
c.1955 view of the 3rd Ave El just South of 138th St.
See our Bronx 3rd Ave El
on Facebook also
Dec 23, 1914 view North from the 3rd Ave El 138th St station during the reconstruction of the El to a double-deck structure.
1930's view of the 3rd Ave El at 133rd St looking North with TARS #401 reversing at the El structure for a run on Southern Blvd. The double-deck El structure here was on Private Right of Way (PROW) between Alexander and Willis Avenues. A train of IRT Composite subway cars is parked on the upper express level of the 133rd St station. The buildings in the photo are still there and there is empty space where the El structure was.
c.1950 view of St Jerome School students out on 137th St with the double-deck 3rd Ave El 138th St Station structure in the background.
A S/B 2nd or 3rd Ave El Composite car Express train heading to the 138th St Station. The ramp up from the lower level is seen in the distance. After the end of service to Manhattan in 1955 that ramp was used as the turn back for the trains until the x-over and signals were ready at 149th St. The double-deck structure south of 149th St was subsequently removed.
March 9, 1937 WPA photo looking West on 143rd St from Brook Ave to the 3rd Ave El in the distance.
April 29, 1941 view East on 140th St from Alexander Ave showing the double deck 3rd Ave El structure showing the ramp to the upper express level by P L Sperr.
The double deck El structure south of 144th St is described at "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/"
April 19, 1941 view East on 144th St from Third Ave showing the junction of the 3rd Ave El and Bergen Cut-off by P L Sperr. The Bergen Cut-off curves away to Willis Ave. The upper level was used by 2nd and 3rd Ave El Express trains. Only the 2nd Ave Freeman St Express used the cut-off. See the next image of the upper level junction.
The Suburban Railway, the original name of the Third Ave Elevated Line in the Bronx, was built on a Private Right Of Way (PROW) North to 144th St in 1889. The PROW was located between Willis and Alexander Avenues North of the New Haven RR Freight Yard at 133rd St. At 144th St the structure transitioned from the PROW onto Third Ave at 145th St.
This is a c.1887 view of the PROW looking North from 143 St showing the masonary footings for the elevated structure. Note the division for the ROW to the left for the Third Ave route and the branch to the right for the future Westchester Ave route.
The 1888 plans of the Suburban Railway included a branch out Westchester Ave from a junction at 144th St. The junction was not built at that time but a provisional single track stub was built
At 144th St the Suburban Railway structure transitioned from the PROW back onto Third Ave at 145th St. The 1888 plans of the Suburban Railway included a branch out Westchester Ave from a junction at 144th St. The junction was not built at that time but a provisional stub was made for it. This Bronx map inset shows the configuration of the PROW between 143rd St and 145th St.
North from the upper level junction at 144th St showing a S/B 2nd Ave El train (Freeman St Express) coming from the Bergen Cut-off on Willis Ave crossing the N/B Third Ave El express track diamond to junction with S/B upper level express track on the 3rd Ave El PROW in between Willis Ave and Third Ave
The 3rd Ave El South of 149th St became an engineering feat. This is a 1914 view of the center express track ramp being installed South of 145th St where the structure curved off Third Ave onto the Suburban PROW. The single-track ramp went to join the Bergen Cut-off on the upper level and the lower tracks remained as the lower deck of the double-deck structure at 144th St. Note: This photo is labeled as 143rd St, which is the next station South of here.
1955 view of the 3rd Ave El looking North from 146th St
This amazing picture is from the front of a n/b train on the Bergen Cutoff structure on Willis Ave approaching the curve onto Bergen Ave at 147th St. Ahead, North, to the junction of Willis Ave at 148th St, we see the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station. The Bergen Cutoff was the route of the famous 2nd Ave El Freeman St Express, which bypassed the 149th St Station. The Freeman St Express was continued until 1948 by the 3rd Ave El after 2nd Ave El ended operations North of 59th St in 1940. The Bergen Cutoff structure was removed about 1951/2.
1973 view of the bumper at the former S/B track of the 3rd Ave El at the 149th Station. Service South of here to the three stations in the Bronx ended in April 1955 when the Manhattan 3rd Ave El was shut down. The structure South of here was removed in 1957/58.
1957 view of the demolition of the 3rd Ave El looking North from 146th St to the remaining structure being removed to the South end of the 149th St station.
1915 view North from 2787 Third Ave, just below 147th St in the Bronx, showing the conversion of the 3rd Ave El 149th St station from the two track single island platform to the three-track, two-island express station format. Note that the new S/B track-way has been installed. The new S/B platform will occupy the place of the current S/B track. The center express track will occupy the place of the current platform. The blurred image of a work train is on the N/B track.
1914 image of the conversion of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station from the original two track, single island format to the three track, two island express station configuration. The structure is braced on a girder to spread the weight out over the area where the IRT Subway is below 149th St.
A 1930 street level view South on Third Ave at the junction of Westchester Ave at 150th St - Above is the 3rd Ave El and the switch tower that controlled the junction with the connector to the Westchester Ave El. At this time the connector was not in revenue service as the Bergen Cut-off structure, which joined with the connector a few blocks East of here at the junction to the subway portal, replaced this connection in 1918. The Westchester Ave connector structure was installed in 1904 and remained until 1951, when it and the Bergen Cut-off structure were both removed.
c.1939 street level view of the Bronx Hub at Third Ave and 148th St at Willis Ave showing a N/B 3rd Ave El gate car train in the station above. The trolley track curve onto Willis Ave is prominent and you can see Melrose Ave in the distance under the El. This scene would remain essentially the same for another 35 years until the El structure was removed in 1974 as seen in the next image.
1974 street level view of the Bronx Hub at Third Ave and 148th St at Willis Ave showing the 3rd Ave El station just prior to demolition. You can see Melrose Ave in the distance under the El. This scene remained essentially the same for about 75 years when the many of buildings pictured here were new at the turn of the century. The El dates back to 1887 and lasted 87 years.
1930's Southwest view of the intersection of 148th St and Willis Ave (trolley car) showing the South end of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station express platforms and the Bergen Cutoff structure curve from Willis Ave to Bergen Ave at 147th St on the left. I saw the cutoff structure from the 149th St El Station once before the cutoff structure was removed. The seven story building at the intersection was originally the Knickerbocker Trust Company, which became the Bronx County Trust Co. The Dollar Savings Bank building is at the corner of 147th St. (see next)
Nov 5, 1946 was is the last day of service of the Freeman St Express on the Bergen Ave Cutoff by 3rd Ave El trains.
This (incorrectly captioned) news photo shows the last S/B 3rd Ave El Freeman St Express on the Bergen Ave Cutoff structure curving of off 147th St and heading South on Willis Ave.
The Bergen Ave Cutoff route bypassed the busy 3rd Ave El 149th St Station. 2nd Ave El trains used the cutoff route from 1917 to 1940 after which 3rd Ave El trains continued the service until 1946.
1905 view of the 3rd Ave El 149th St station looking South out Willis Ave showing a S/B train in the station and another waiting to enter the station.
1905 Post Card view south showing a Union Rwy Trolley on Melrose Ave alongside the IRT Subway Kiosk and the 3rd Ave El (two track) 149th St Station. This intersection was known as the Bronx Hub because of the all the trolley lines, the El and the Subway converging and radiating from here. See "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/".
1938 Overhead view of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station looking north showing the 150th St Junction with the remaining single track connector to the Westchester Ave El.
See my Bronx Hub website "http://bronxhub.mysite.com/".
The spire of Immaculate Conception Church on Melrose Ave and 150th St is prominent in this classic 1926 Brown Bros view West on 149th St to the 3rd Ave El structure from Bergen Ave.
1905 Post Card view of the IRT Subway portal at 149th St just East of the 3rd Ave El 149th St Station - The portal and ROW would be covered by the Bergen Cutoff El structure in 1916. The 3rd Ave El and the Bergen Cutoff and the buildings that once surrounded the portal ROW are all gone now and the area is open again as it was in 1905. The remains of the Bergen Cut-off pillars are still embedded in the retaining walls of the portal entry.
Compare this 1924 aerial "http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Babydux/Bronx/TheHub.jpg"
1924 aerial view of Bronx Hub area at 149th St showing (from the bottom left) the 3rd Ave El and the Bergen Cutoff diverging at 144th St on the PROW. The 3rd Ave El proceeds North onto Third Ave to the 149th St station. The Bergen Cutoff Structure (built in 1916) goes East to Willis Ave the curves on to Bergen Ave and aligns over the IRT Subway tunnel portal ROW to the Westchester Ave elevated structure. The 3rd Ave El 150th St connector (built in 1904) junction is North of the 149th St Station and goes East to the Westchester Ave structure. The 150th St connector had a flying junction with the Bergen Cutoff on a double-deck el two track structure where it joined the Westchester Ave structure over Brook Ave before descending to the junction with the three track structure at St Ann's Ave.
The 3rd Ave El Junction at 150th St to the IRT Westchester Ave Subway elevated structure in the Bronx was opened on Nov 26, 1904 as a two track level crossing. This junction completed the original Suburban Railway franchise route out Westchester Ave.
1904 view East to St Ann's Junction on the IRT West Farms Subway El structure on Westchester Ave. This is the other end of the junction from the 3rd Ave El. The location of this photo is just East of Brook Ave. The tracks in the left foreground come from the 3rd Ave El 150th St connector and ramp down to the junction with outer (foreground right) subway tracks, which come up from the 149th St subway tunnel portal at Bergen Ave. 2nd and 3rd Ave El trains opened up the West Farms line until the IRT Harlem River subway tunnels were opened for service to West Farms in 1905.
1974 view of one of the famous landmarks of the Bronx 3rd Ave El, the switch tower and the stub of the Westchester Ave connector at 150th St. The center track was removed from here to the 156th St station to daylight the structure after the Manhattan El shut down in April, 1955.
A final 1974 view of the 3rd Ave El 150th St stub that was a reminder of an earlier Era when 149th St and Third Ave was the 'Hub' of transit activity in the Bronx as this stub was the remainder of the 1904 connection to the Westchester Elevated extension of the IRT Subway. Although the Westchester Ave connector was redundant after completion of the Bergen Cut-off structure in 1918, the connector structure carried the power feeder cables to the Westchester Ave structure until 1951, when the connector and cut-off structures were removed.
1915 view West on the Westchester Ave El connection to the 3rd Ave El at 150th St showing a work train with a derrick car during construction of the Bergen Cut-off. The 150th St connector was built in 1904 to open the Westchester Ave Route of the Suburban Railway Franchise to became the extension of the IRT Subway. Upon completion of the Bergen Cut-off in 1918, the 150th St connector would become a non-revenue emergency connection because it carried the power feeder cables to the Westchester Ave structure and would be removed in 1951 with the Bergen Cut-off structure.
July 22, 1915 view of the derrick car on the 3rd Ave El Westchester Ave connector handling a beam for the construction of the Bergen Ave Cut-off junction with the connector structure.
1914 view of the two-track Westchester Ave Extension at Bergen Ave with a S/B 2nd Ave El train overhead. 2nd Ave El trains used the Westchester Ave Connector exclusively since 1907 when the Freeman St trains stated running. This substantial structure will become redundant in 1916 when the Bergen Cut-off is completed and 2nd Ave El Freeman St Express trains will be rerouted using the new route and reducing the congestion at the 3rd Ave El 149th St station. This 1904 structure remained until the both it and the Cut-off structure were removed in 1950/51 leaving the stub as a reminder of importance of the Bronx Hub.
The 156th St station became the next to the last stop on the Bronx 3rd Ave El when travelling South. A storage track was left South of the station to where the structure was day-lighted by removing the center track to 150th St. The center track from 156th St to Tremont Ave remained active for a couple years. The MUDCs and Q cars were stored there upon being replaced with the IRT Seinway Red-line cars in Dec of '56. The Q cars found their way to the Myrtle Ave El in Brooklyn. I guess that there were no takers to preserve any of the MUDC cars and subsequently, they passed in 3rd Ave El history.
Nov 5, 1914 street view showing the newly installed heavier steel columns for the three-track 3rd Ave El structure at 155th St looking North to the 156th St station showing the original single-island mezzanine format.
April 29, 1915 track-level view North to the 3rd Ave El 156th St station during the transition from the original two-track center-island format to the three-track outboard platform configuration showing the original center island platform in between the two new outboard platforms and the center track installed to the existing center platform.
1914 view looking South from 157th St showing the installation of the 3rd Ave EL 156th St station outboard platform supports.
70's view of a S/B 3rd Ave El LoV museum train coming around the curve at Washington Ave and 159th St to the 156th St station.
1973 view South on the the 3rd Ave El from 158th St and Washington Ave to the 156th St station ahead. This was the end of the 'S' curve from 161st St and St Ann's Ave.
An interesting 1901 (Steam Era) view of the 3rd Ave El two-track structure just West of Brook Ave where the Port Morris & Spuyten Duyvil RR passes under the street identified by the bridge railing on the right. The blurred item is a s/b trolley car following the El structure to curve South at Washington Ave ahead.
The trench along the side of the road is for the underground electric conduit for the 3rd Ave El, which will be electrified in 1903.
1901 view South from Brook Ave along the Port Morris and Spuyten Duyvil RR ROW at Third Ave. The Port Morris RR was built in 1872. This bridgework and retaining wall may have been built about the time the 3rd Ave El was built here in 1885. Upon viewing this location today, from in back of the courthouse building, there is no evidence that a railway was ever beneath the street here and of course, the El structure was removed in 1975. The five-story building ahead is still there, somewhat modified.
Compare this 1974 view of the Third Ave El looking West from Brook Ave at 161st St with the previous image. The old (1914) Bronx County Courthouse is on the right and Brook Ave is full of apartment houses. The 3rd Ave El ended operation in April of 1973. However, this section of the El remained to carry the power feeder cables from Substation #8 to the IRT Subway at 149th St until underground conduits were built.
Note the IRT White Plains Road Line structure in the distance looking South on St Ann's Ave from 3rd Ave El at 161st St c.1970. The Bronx 3rd Ave El would have been more viable had it been connected to the White Plains Road Line from here or with the Pelham Bay Line at 138th St.
Most of the 3rd Ave El structure in the Bronx was demolished in 1974. However, the structure from Substation #8 at 161st St was retained until 1977 to carry the power feeder cables to the IRT Subway at 149th St. This 1974 view looking South on Third Ave from 161st St shows the truncated 3rd Ave El structure and the connection to the power substation. The substation was decommissioned in 1977 and the remaining El structure was removed. Some time later the substation building was also removed.
Photo from the Bill Palter collection.
March 12, 1915 view of the installation of the center track South of the original 3rd Ave El 161st St center island platform station.
Note the pockets for the future center track-way in this 1900 view of the two-track 3rd Ave El 161st St Station. The extensions on the structure are rigid trolley wire supports.
1914 street view of the 161st station during the transition from the two-track center island station w/mezzanine format to the three-track outboard platform station format. The platform out-riggers can be seen in the distance looking North up Third Ave. Note that the lattice-work columns seen in the 1900 view have been replaced with the stronger steel H Columns.
1954 view of the intersection of Bronx 3rd Ave El at 161st St, St Ann's Ave and the old Bronx County Courthouse by Vivian Maier showing the transition to Bus surface transportation on the cobble stone street as the 50 year old 3rd Ave El MUDC trains continue in service.
1940 view of the 3rd Ave El at 161st St and St Ann's Ave in the Bronx with TARS #1138 heading North on Third Ave under the El passing the Bronx County Courthouse as TARS #830 with an 'X' designation sign, instead of the 'L', is heading down St Ann's Ave. The Manhattan Elevated Railway Substation #8 at the corner of 161st St is the brick building beside the 3rd Ave El 161st Station. There is also a bus under the El station, which may be the replacement of the Willis Ave Trolley Line. This is one of many views of the intersection of Third Ave, 161st St and the St Ann's Ave Trolley Line in our flikr album at
The 3rd Ave El 161st St Station was the site of the Bronx County Courthouse and was at the intersection of St Ann's Ave which had a trolley line as seen here in this April 30, 1941 image by P L Sperr. The Manhattan Elevated Railway Substation #8 was also located here and supplied power to the IRT Westchester Ave Line with cables from here to 149th St.
c.1946 view of TARS St Ann's Ave 'L' car 823 at the intersection of Third Ave with a TARS Boston Post Road 'B' car under the 3rd Ave El at 161st St.
Nov 5, 1914 view of the 3rd Ave El 162nd St structure on temporary timber supports while the new and heavier columns are being installed.
Oct 21, 1914 view of the 3rd Ave El structure at 162nd St on temporary timber supports while the original lattice-work columns are being replaced.
c.1965 view of S/B 3rd Ave El train passing over 162nd St coming into the 161st St station. The signal relay box at Boston Post Road is ahead on the right.
1946 view of aTARS 167th St crosstown car going under the 3rd Ave El train of IRT Composite cars at 168th St.
c.1946 view of Crosstown TARS #30 passing E/B under the 3rd Ave El at 168th St with composites and gate cars on the El
1940's view of TARS trolley car #191 coming up the Boston Post Road off of Third Ave and a 3rd Ave El MUDC train on the structure North of 163rd St.
South from under the 3rd Ave El structure at the intersection of the Boston Post Road
June 12, 1916 view of the rebuilt 166th St station looking North showing the installation of the center express track.
Dec 23, 1914 view North from 166th St, showing the Bronx Third Ave El structure on timber supports while it is being rebuilt from a two-track structure to a three-track structure. Every bent and pillar on the El was replaced from 149th St to Tremont Ave. All the center island stations were rebuilt to outboard platforms except for Tremont Ave and Fordham Road, which became two island platform express stations.
Nov 1, 1914 view of the 3rd Ave El at 166th St during the installation of the center express track and replacement of the original (1888) lattice-work columns. The Bronx Sign Co is on the opposite corner and some wood frame buildings, looking South to the 166th St station stairs.
Jan 28, 1915 view of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx just North of 165th St showing the new steel plate El pillars in preparation for the installation of the center track and the rebuilding of the 166th St station from the center island format to the outboard platform format using the wing girders seen above.
1914 street level view North to the 3rd Ave El 166th St station stairs showing some wood frame buildings and a restaurant on the opposite corner.
1914 reconstruction photo of the 3rd Ave El 169th St station looking North from 168th St
This 1915 photograph was taken from the North end of the 169th St center island station platform, which was being replaced by the new center track at that time. Most of the older buildings along Third Ave North of 169th St are long gone.
Steel IRT Steinway Red Line Subway cars replaced the wooden El cars in 1956 on the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx. Note that the El type uncovered third rail is still in use as a S/B train of subway cars is arriving the 169th St Station in this 1957 view. The 1939 Worlds Fair Q cars were laid up on the former center express track until 1958 before being sent back to the BMT to run on the Myrtle Ave El.
This Post card view of the Suburban Railway (3rd Ave El) Wendover Ave station is an example of the two track single island format of the line in the Bronx as originally built to 177th St in the Steam Era in 1891. Wendover Ave and station would be renamed to Claremont Parkway, which is in between 171st St and 172nd St, as the station would later be signed. See "http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2728".
April 29, 1915 view of the installation of the center track South of the original 3rd Ave El Claremont Parkway (formerly Wentworth Ave) center island station platform. The two buildings on the remain, the one with the Shults Bread sign and the and the one on the NE corner. According to the ERA map of the early El, there was an x-over South of the station, which the turnout switch on the right was part of.
1973 view of a S/B train at the 174th St station
The last enhancement to the Third Ave El occurred in 1954 when the structure between 174th St and the Tremont Ave station was raised to clear the Cross Bronx Expressway that was under construction as seen in this view looking South from the hill below the former Bronx County Bldg. See next...
1954 view of the 3rd Ave El on temporary supports at 176th St during the raising of the El to pass over the Cross Bronx Expressway being constructed at that time. A N/B MUDC train is passing overhead alongside the old Bronx Borough Hall just South of Tremont Ave by Alfred C. Loonam
1939 view of convertible TARS Willis Ave 'W' car #89 N/B under the 3rd Ave El at 176th St. The thriving area around the Bronx County Administration building South of Tremont Ave would be dramatically changed 20 years later as construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway would lay waste to the area from which it would never recover.
1973 view of a N/B 3rd Ave El train just North of the long thru-girder span of the Cross Bronx Expressway as seen from the former Bronx County Admin Bldg South of Tremont Ave by Joe Testagrose.
1972 NW view of the 3rd Ave El at 176th St
1974 view South on Third Ave from the Cross Bronx Expressway showing the intersection at 175th and the 3rd Ave El pillars that had been extended in 1954 to span the expressway.
1974 view North on Third Ave from the Cross Bronx Expressway at 175th St showing the 3rd Ave El pillars that had been extended in 1954 to span the expressway.
1955 view South on Third Ave showing the demolition of the buildings at 175th St in preparation for the construction of the Cross Bronx Expressway. The 3rd Ave El pillars had been extended in 1954 to span the expressway, which will be in back of the photographer.
1955 view North on Third Ave from the site of the Cross Bronx Expressway at 175th St showing the 3rd Ave El pillars that had been extended in 1954 to span the expressway and the hill upon which stands the former Bronx County Administration Building.
Aug 25, 1915 view of the 3rd Ave El Tremont Ave Station being expanded from a two-track single island platform to a three-track two island express platform station.
1950 view of a 3rd Ave El MUDC express train on the center track at the Tremont Ave Station looking North by Alfred Loonham from the Museum of the City of NY @"http://collections.mcny.org/Doc/MNY/Media/TR3/b/a/4/2/M2Y7408.jpg"
1900 view South on Third Ave in the Bronx to the newly built 3rd Ave El Tremont - 177th St center island platform station that was the format of all the original Bronx El stations. The foundations for the next columns are seen in the foreground.
See the next image looking North from here.
On July 20, 1891 Suburban Rwy El service was extended to 174th and 177th St on Third Avenue in the Bronx. This 1900 image shows the footings for the 3rd Ave El columns being installed along Third Ave North from 178th St in the Bronx so that the line could be completed to Pelham (Fordham) Road. The stations at 180th, 183rd Street and Fordham Road opened on July 1, 1901. See the previous image for the view South to 177th St.
1926 NE view over the rooftops showing the 3rd Ave El at 178th St by Brown Bros.
1900 construction image of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx at 179th St looking South from 180th St, where the next station will be. The track-way branch to the 179th St Yard is also shown and the yard will open in 1901. (see next)
c.1940 view of the 3rd Ave El 179th St yard lead and control tower looking South to the Tremont Ave station from just below the 180th St station. Although the yard was removed in 1951, the tower remained until 1958 to control the x-overs for the Tremont Ave station. The x-overs were used until 1955 for the Manhattan express trains. The x-overs were also used when the Bronx El was converted to subway type covered third rail in 1957 and the El had new signals installed in 1958. During the installation of the covered third rail and new signals, single track operations with trains relaying from the Tremont Ave station were performed on the weekends to maintain service, which made interesting trips for rail fans. Those x-overs in the foreground, South of the 180th St station were removed in 1957.
1951 view of the closed 3rd Ave El 179th St yard looking West showing the South end of the yard after the tracks had been removed and before the yard was demolished leaving the prominent track-ways that went to the back of the yard and the inspection shed. The photographer is just North of the switch tower which is out of view to the right and is possibly on a passing train.
1903 view of the back of the 179th St Yard looking South from 180th when it was electrified for both 2nd and 3rd Ave El trains. The yard was in service from 1901 to 1951.
Aug 31, 1942 view of the Bronx 3rd Ave El 180th St station looking East.
Photo by P L Sperr, who photographed many views of the NY City Els before they passed into history. His work is preserved in the NY Public Library Digital collection.
c.1940 view North from the 3rd Ave El 180th St station showing gate car trains laid up on the center track and a n/b MUDC train heading to the 183rd St station, the site of St Barnabas Hospital.
c.1905 view of the original 3rd Ave El 183rd St two-track single island platform station. All of the Bronx Suburban Rwy stations on Third Ave were in this format until 1915, when the center express track was installed North of 144th St.
HAER 1974 (pre-demolition) view North from the 3rd Ave El 183rd St station uptown platform showing the curve to Fordham Road.
1974 HAER image showing the 3rd Ave El structure curving at 184th St to follow the franchise route of the New York, Fordham and Bronx Rwy for 1/2 mile NE on the former Kingsbridge Road to get to the Fordham (Pelham) Road Terminal. Lorillard Pl continues North from here, see next and the One Drive Album for Bassford and Bathgate Avenue views "http://1drv.ms/1isowUG".
1950 view of a 3rd Ave El S/B MUDC train rounding the curve into 183rd St station by Alfred Loonam, M2Y7406 from the Museum of the City of NY.
Aug 27, 1942 view South on Lorillard Pl to the 3rd Ave El from 187th St during WWII by P L Sperr
1950 view of the 3rd Ave El structure at Bassford Ave and 186th St looking North by Alfred Loonam, M2Y7405 from the Museum of the City of NY.
c.1940 view of N/B TARS 'W' car #85 under the 3rd Ave El at 187th St with a N/B MUDC train overhead.
1973 RFW (Rail Fan Window) track view North on the 3rd Ave El structure from 185th St and Washington Ave to the curve at 188th St and Bathgate Ave by Bill Palter
1973 Bill Palter RFW view North from 188th St to the curve into the Fordham Road station at 189th St where the El structure aligns with Park Ave and the NY Central RR at Fordham Plaza. The trip between 183rd St and Fordham Road was one of the longer non-stop stretches of travel on the Bronx El after the cessation of the Manhattan Thru-express trains in 1955.
1965 image of a S/B 3rd Ave El train at 189th St, South of the Fordham Road Station, heading SE to get to the next stop at 183rd St. Park Ave and the depressed tracks of the NY Central Harlem Division are to the right.
1944 view of the 3rd Ave El at Fordham Road and a TARS crosstown trolley car heading East. The big Rogers Department Store sign dominates the scene. We still have a few items my parents bought at Rogers. I was born at Union Hospital up on 189th St that year also.
Bronx 3rd Ave El
c.1939 NW view of Fordham Plaza from under the 3rd Ave El Fordham Road station showing a TARS Bailey Ave car and crosstown car #214 stopped at the plaza full of period automobiles.
1962 view of a NY Central Fordham Road station showing a n/b P2b electric locomotive & train emerging from the tunnel under Fordham Plaza. The 3rd Ave El structure on PROW is above to the left. The switch tower that straddled the El station platforms is at center top. See "http://sdrv.ms/19aiwXX".
1973 view South to the 3rd Ave El Fordham Road Station and the switch tower straddled the platforms and controlled the former junction to the Bronx Park Terminal. The NY Central Harlem Div Fordham Road Station occupies the lower right of this picture from the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-04-01/index.html"
c.1951 view North from the 3rd Ave El Fordham Road station switch tower showing the x-overs for the junction with the Botanical Garden Terminal spur and the end of the express track. Although the Webster Ave extension was built with three tracks, there was no express service North of Fordham Road. The center track on the Webster Ave extension was used for lay-ups only until the end of service in 1973.
For most people who rode the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx, this 1954 view of the stub by the late Frank Pfhuler was the only reminder of the Botanical Garden Terminal that was North of the Fordham Road station. This view shows the three-track Webster Ave extension heading across the NY Central ROW to the left and Bronx Park terminal track-ways. The East track-way on the right had a track w/bumper and a couple x-overs remained for a while after the terminal was removed. Interestingly, no express trains went North of Fordham Road on the center track of the Webster Ave extension. The express trains only used that center track to lay-up for the length of the Webster Ave structure up to Gun Hill Road up until the end of Manhattan and express train service in 1955.
Aug 7, 1942 view East on 194th St from Decatur Ave to Webster Ave and the 3rd Ave El on the PROW North of Fordham Road at the junction for the Botanical Garden Terminal Spur and the Webster Ave extension, which crossed the NY Central ROW.
1924 aerial view of the junction of the 3rd Ave El Bronx Park Spur on the right and the Webster Ave Extension crossing over the NY Central Harlem Div ROW at 194th St North of Fordham Road. The walkway over the Fordham Freight Yard and RR ROW from Webster Ave at 198th St (left) to the domed Botanical Garden Terminal building and the walkway from the Botanical Gardens (right) is at the top of the image. Fordham University Campus is on the right.
Sadly, the Bronx 3rd Ave El ceased operations in 1973 and the structure was removed in 1974. In a few locations, like the span over the NY Central RR tracks North of Fordham Road at 194th St, the structure remained until a contractor with heavier equipment and agreement of the RR to remove the span from over the ROW occurred. Other remaining sections were at Mosholu Parkway and the structure from Substation #8 at 161st St which carried the power feeder cables to the IRT Subway at 149th St.
The last vestige of the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx are the skeletal ramps to the former lower level of the Gun Hill Road Station on White Plains Road, which has also been dismantled recently. See "http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?90792".
c.1949 view of the 3rd Ave El MUDC train on the Botanical Garden Terminal (Bronx Park) spur. Another 3rd Ave El train is on the Webster Ave extension to the left and the NY Central RR Harlem Division Fordham Freight Yard is below. The Bronx Botanical Garden Terminal spur was on PROW East of the RR ROW and West of Fordham University. See Joe Brennan's "http://warofyesterday.blogspot.com/2009/08/botanical-garden.html".
1903 view West from the park to the new Third Ave El Botanical Garden domed Terminal that emulated the conservatories in the park.
The terminal was built on PROW next to the NY Central RR and was opened in 1902 for electric train service. Access to the terminal was from an elevated walkway from the Botanical Gardens Park (seen above). Another walkway spanned the RR tracks to a storefront entrance on Webster Ave at 198th St. The terminal was the end of the line until 1920, when the Webster Ave Extension to Gun Hill Road opened. The Botanical Garden terminal was closed in 1951 and removed.
One of the unique features of the 3rd Ave El Botanical Garden Terminal was the car elevator that was used to store the open El cars under the structure or in the storage building. The elevator was at the South end of the terminal. There was also a transfer table which positioned the cars in front of the doors of storage building under the North end of the terminal.
c.1907 Postal Card view of the 3rd Ave El Botanical Garden Terminal with its domed roof to emulate the conservatories in the park. The terminal opened in 1902 .
1946 view of TARS car 1229 S/B on Webster Ave under the 3rd Ave El next to the Fordham Freight Yard at 195th St. The 3rd Ave El Botanical Garden terminal is visible on the right.
c.1946 view of N/B TARS #1230 on Webster Ave under the 3rd Ave El at Botanical Garden Sq with the 200th St El station in the background.
April, 1973 RFW view of the 3rd Ave El train heading North to the 200th St station by Kenneth Palter.
c.1970 overhead view of a 3rd Ave El five car S/B LoV train at the 200th St Station. The Metro North (NY Central Harlem Div) Botanical Garden Station is seen in upper right.
June 25, 1972 view of the 3rd Ave El N/B train of R12 cars at the 200th St Station by Steve Zabel. The Botanical Square apartment building occupies the center left. To the far right is the Bronx Botanical Garden Museum Building. The subway type covered third rail was installed to just North of the Fordham Road station before the center track was removed South of Mosholu Pkwy.
1973 view East to the 3rd Ave El 200th St Station on Webster Ave from Decatur Ave by Kenneth Palter.
1973 view West to the 3rd Ave El 200th St Station on Webster Ave from the bridge over the NY Central Harlem Division (Metro North) Tracks by Kenneth Palter.
The 3rd Ave El 200th St Station sign
1973 view North on Webster Ave from under the 3rd Ave El 200th St station.
1949 aerial view of the 3rd Ave El 200th St station on Webster Ave
The diagonal cut buildings in the upper right back into the NY Central Fordham Freight yard.
1974 view of the demolition of the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave at 200th St looking North to Mosholu Pkwy from outside the A&P store.
April, 1973 RFW view of the 3rd Ave El train descending the grade from the Mosholu Pkwy viaduct heading South to the 200th St station by Kenneth Palter.
1973 view North on Webster Ave at 201st St showing the 3rd Ave El structure increasing in height to pass over Mosholu Pkwy in the distance
c.1949 view S/B 3rd Ave El MUDC train descending the grade from Mosholu Pkwy to the 200th St Station as seen from the front of a N/B train.
1939 view of the Bronx 3rd Ave El Mosholu Pkwy viaduct looking North from the back of A S/B train at 201st St. An MUDC train is laid-up on the center track at the edge of the decked viaduct at Mosholu Pkwy South. The 52nd Precinct building with its massive clock is on the right and people are on the parkway watching a baseball game at Frisch Field below.
Nov 11, 1920 view North on Webster Ave, from Botanical Square and Mosholu Pkwy South (opposite) showing the graceful steel arches of this section of the 3rd Ave El structure in the Bronx. The (52nd) Precinct Building is out of site to the right. Later, a comfort station will be built in the park and Frisch Field will be across the street.
1960's color view of Frisch Field and the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave looking SW from Mosholu Pkwy.
1950 view of the Bronx 3rd Ave El viaduct over Mosholu Parkway and Webster Ave Looking North from under the structure across the street from Frisch Field.
Overhead view of the 3rd Ave El at Mosholu Pkwy South showing a 4 car s/b train on the unique curved steel arch structure on Webster Ave that rivaled the height of the famous Suicide Curve on 9th Ave El at 110th St as shown at
1946 view of S/B TARS 'W' car 1221 on Webster Ave just South of the Mosholu Parkway bridge under the 3rd Ave El Mosholu Parkway viaduct. Frisch field is on the right.
May 12, 1938 view of the 3rd Ave El long steel arch span over Mosholu Parkway above Webster Ave looking East towards the Bronx Botanical Gardens by P L Sperr. The Mosholu Parkway span of Webster Ave is identified by the truss structures in the foreground. The truss in the distance identifies the Mosholu Pkwy bridge over the New York Central RR Harlem Division ROW. This 1936 image shows a train of IRT composite cars laid-up on the center track, which was a common site on the El here right up until 1973 when the El ceased operation. This section of the El lasted a little longer that the rest of the structure. (see next)
May 12, 1938 view of the 3rd Ave El structure above the corner of Mosholu Parkway North and Webster Ave by P L Sperr with the 3rd Ave El structure above Webster Ave. The image shows the transition from the standard El structure to the steel arch structure as the structure increased in height. Webster Ave sloped downhill from 204th St to the lowest point where Mosholu Parkway crossed Webster Ave. A southbound TARS car is approaching the car stop at Mosholu Parkway North at the next El pillar.
Here I am with Dad up on Mosholu Parkway in 1944 with the 3rd Ave El structure on Webster Ave in the background. Now, you know why the 3rd Ave El Mosholu Pkwy structure of the is My favorite subject.
S/B 3rd Ave El train on the Mosholu Pkwy structure over Webster Ave looking North.
S/B 3rd Ave El train on the Mosholu Pkwy structure South of the Parkway
East on Mosholu Pkwy showing a 3rd Ave El train of IRT Worlds Fair cars passing over the Parkway.
Compare this image to one dated 35 years earlier at
1970 view West on Mosholu Parkway from Frisch Field (on the left) with a N/B 3rd Ave El train on the long steel arch span over the parkway and Webster Ave below. The brick wall was installed about 1960 when the original wood rail seats were replaced that had completely disintegrated since the 1939 opening of the baseball field.
1950 street view looking North from the Mosholu Parkway Bridge over Webster Ave under the 3rd Ave El steel arch decked structure.
1950 street view South looking under the Mosholu Parkway Bridge over Webster Ave from under the 3rd Ave El steel arch structure.
1974 view of my favorite section of high steel arched 3rd Ave El structure at Mosholu Parkway which remained a little longer after the rest of the El was demolished until the proper equipment to remove the structure was contracted.
1973 view North on the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave from 203rd St to the 204th St station ahead showing a train laid up on the center track. Webster Ave and the El jog to the left (West) at 204th St.
West on 204th St to Webster Ave showing a 3rd Ave El train of IRT LoV subway cars laid-up on the center track at midday South of the 204th St Station (out of view to the right).
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/3rd-ave-low-v.html"
1920 Construction view North of the 204th St station structures that were mirror images of themselves. There was a stairway to the street from each station house. However, only the downtown (left) side was equipped a change booth and a pot-belly stove. The Webster Ave 3rd Ave El structure was built with a center track. However, no express trains ever went North of Fordham Road or South of Gun Hill Road on the center track.
1973 view East on 204th St to Webster Ave and Bronx Park. The 3rd Ave El 204th St Station is out of sight to the North (left) on Webster Ave. The bridge at the end of 204th St Spans the NY Central Harlem Division Tracks to Bronx Park. This section of East 204th St was originally Woodlawn Road.
1973 SE from the 204th St Station downtown platform of a N/B 3rd Ave El train passing a train of IRT LoV cars laid-up on the center track.
1973 overhead NW view of the 3rd Ave El 204th St Station showing a 4 car s/b train at the station and another train laid-up on the center track.
South on Webster Ave from 204th St under the 3rd Ave El from the George Malave collection at
c.1940 view of a n/b 3rd Ave El Gate car train departing the 204th St Station uptown platform.
The Third Ave El 204th St (my) Station sign,
see more 204th St pics at "http://1drv.ms/1goisZ2".
1939 view North on Webster Ave from 204th St showing the 3rd Ave El and the scene of the crime
June 29, 1932 view East on 205th Street from Decatur Ave to the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave showing the restoration of the street upon completion of the end of the IND Concourse Subway beneath the street - photo from the NY Transit Museum. The tracks under this street dead-end at Webster Ave and are used to turn back trains from the 205th St terminal, which is two blocks West of here at Perry Ave. The 3rd Ave El 204th St station was one block south on Webster Ave. An IRT composite car train is laid up on the center track of the 3rd Ave El. Froma a distance the composite vars look just like the LoV cars that replaced the NY Elevated wood cars in 1956.
1973 view East on 205th St to Webster Ave showing the 3rd Ave El and Bronx Park in the distance
The IND Concourse Subway Line dead ends under this street at Webster Ave. The Metro North Harlem Div four track ROW and the Bronx River is below the end of the 205th St.
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-10-03/index.html"
c.1946 view of a N/B TARS 'W' car on Webster Ave under the 3rd Ave El North of 205th St where Parkside Place joins Webster Ave the right.
1950 view of a 3rd Ave El Q car train laid-up on the center track at 205th St at Webster Ave.
The Q cars came from the BMT Queensboro Plaza El car operation over the Astoria and Flushing Lines after the dual operation with the IRT ended in 1949 and the Astoria Line became a BMT Line. The Q cars were transferred to the 3rd Ave El where they ran as rush hour expresses to replace the aging IRT Composite cars. The BMT trucks were replaced with the IRT Composite car trucks. After the cessation of Manhattan service in 1955, the Q cars remained in Bronx service for another year until all the wood El cars were replaced by IRT steel subway cars. The Q cars were sent to the Brooklyn Myrtle Ave El in 1958. Some of the Q cars were repainted for service on the Flushing line for the 1964/65 Worlds Fair.
Upon cessation of Myrtle Ave El service in 1969 the the Q cars were acquired by the transit museum and ran periodically in fan trips on the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx.
North on the 3rd Ave El structure on Webster at 205th St showing Parkside Place rising above the El to 207th St on the left and the structure on Gun Hill Road in the distance.
From the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-04-02/index.html"
See the street view at "http://cid-616b1f67315e9e01.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Bronx/Webster205n.jpg"
1959 NE view of the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave from Parkside Place at East 207th St by Alfred C. Loonam
The loss of the Bronx 3rd Ave El in my old neighborhood is documented in this 1974 view of Webster Ave below Parkside Place and 207th St by Steve Zabel.
1918 construction image of the 3rd Ave El extension on Webster Ave at Parkside Place just South of the 210th St Station.
N/B TARS #1239 with an 'X' sign under the 3rd Ave El on Webster Ave at Parkside Pl just South of the 210th St station.
N/B MUDC train coming into the 210th St station on Webster Ave with a gate car train laid up on the center track c.1940 - The NY Central Harlem Division four track ROW is below alongside the Bronx River.
1960's view from the Williamsbirdge freight yard showing a classic New Haven FL9 set w/streamline train South below the 3rd Ave El 210th St station.
1920 Construction view North of the Williamsbridge 210th St station. There was no East-West street named 210th St in the Williamsbridge area. The main cross street North of this station was Gun Hill Road. However, that name was set for the IRT station of White Plains Road extension of the Westchester Ave Line. So, this 3rd Ave El station on Webster Ave was named for area, which was also the name of the NY Central RR Station, which was accessed from Gun Hill Road. The 3rd Ave El route curved onto Gun Hill Road to cross the Bronx River Valley and the NY Central tracks to junction with the IRT extension on White Plains Road.
A 1971 Bronx 3rd Ave El fan trip utilized this special viewing car at the rear of the train departing from the 210th St Station.
North from the 3rd Ave El 210th St Station showing a train laid up on the center track and the 90 degree curve onto Gun Hill Road c.1964.
c.1946 view of a N/B TARS 1229 curving onto Gun Hill Road from Webster Ave under the 3rd Ave El curve structure while Granny make here way across the intersection.
1973 view South on Webster Ave showing the 3rd Ave El structure curve from Gun Hill Road by Bill Palter.
1973 view of the Transit Museum LoV Train Fan Trip rounding the Bronx 3rd Ave El Gun Hill Road curve into the 210th St station on Webster Ave as a train of the newest equipment heads over to the terminal at White Plains Road.
1918 view of Gun Hill Road looking West from the Bronx River with the 3rd Ave El being constructed overhead.
One of the amazing sights on the 3rd Ave El in the Bronx was this 1973 track level view looking East over Gun Hill Road and Bronx Blvd below to the double-deck junction with the White Plains Road Line. Sadly, this was the final view of the junction, from the Bill Palter collection at "http://www.palter.org/~subway/73-04-02/index.html"
1973 view East on Gun Hill Road from Decatur Ave showing the 3rd Ave El curve onto Webster Ave by Bill Palter
One of my favorite images of the Bronx 3rd Ave El from the NYPL Digital collection is this June 16, 1938 panoramic view by P L Sperr of the Northeast corner of Gun Hill Road and Webster Ave showing the lumber yard and diner and the 3rd Ave El structure and a TARS trolley car curving onto Webster Ave.
1949 view North from the NY Central Harlem Division Williamsbridge Station showing 3rd Ave El MUDC and composite trains passing above on Gun Hill Road. See "https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204234001108983&set=o.427215120666714&type=1"
1949 view of Gun Hill Road and the 3rd Ave El looking East to Bronx Boulevard showing the construction the Bronx River Parkway that displaced the former Newell Ave community that was East of the NY Central RR Williamsbridge station. Note the 7 car train of IRT Composite cars on the Gun Hill Road El structure.
Another 1949 view of Gun Hill Road from the 3rd Ave El 210th station looking East showing the construction the Bronx River Parkway that will go under Gun Hill Road at the barricades East of the NY Central RR Williamsbridge station and West of Bronx Blvd.
1938 view looking East from the above the 3rd Ave El 210th St station looking down on the NY Central RR Williamsbridge Station and the Newell Ave and out Gun Hill Road showing the 3rd Ave El connector to the IRT White Plains Road Line to 216th St in the distance.
North on Bronx Blvd to Gun Hill Road and the 3rd Ave El.
The Bronx River Parkway is 100 yards West on the other side of the river.
North on Bronx Blvd to Gun Hill Road and the 3rd ave El c.1936
1938 view West looking over Bronx Blvd to the NY Central RR Williamsbridge station and Newel Ave area with the 3rd Ave El up on Webster Ave and Gun Hill Road on the right.
East on Gun Hill Road to the 3rd Ave El junction at the White Plains Road double-deck White Plains Road station.
Northwest view of the 3rd Ave El Gun Hill Road Structure from the upper platform of the White Plains Road Line
c.1919 view West to the intersection of White Plains Road and Gun Hill Road showing the new IRT White Plains Road line station on the upper level and the 3rd Ave El Webster Ave extension lower level junction with the White Plains Road line. The 3rd Ave El structure on Gun Hill Road is seen passing over the Bronx River valley to Webster Ave. Photo by WILLIAM HASSLER from the Museum of the City of NY - MNY53375.
One of the greatest events in North Bronx Transit History was the construction of the double deck IRT Gun Hill Road Station on White Plains Road. This 1918 image shows the construction of the station, which will serve the Webster Ave extension of the 3rd Ave El and the Westchester Ave Subway extension from West Farms, which will become known as the White Plains Road Line.
c.1949 view of a 3rd Ave El MUDC train on the West track of the lower level of the Gun Hill Road Station on White Plains Road. 3rd Ave El trains operated to 241st St until 1950.
1973 view of a 3rd Ave El train departing from the Gun Hill Road terminal
1974 South view of the former 3rd Ave El Gun Hill Road lower level terminal at White Plains Road after the Gun Hill Road structure had been removed.
A Third Ave El train is seen here at the White Plains Road Line 241st Terminal in this 1924 image. Although it was not part of the 3rd Ave El, The IRT White Plains Road extension from Gun Hill afforded 3rd Ave El trains an extension up the ramp at Gun Hill to the 241st St Terminal at the City Line until 1949. It was a seventeen mile El trip from the 241st St terminal to South Ferry. The line North of Gun Hill was one of the dual third-rail sections of the IRT elevated extensions.
The Last Gate Car on the El. This 2nd Ave El car was fitted for service on the Dyre Ave Line in 1940 and returned to the 3rd Ave El in 1952. The car was used in work service until the original wooden MUDC and 1939 Worlds Fair cars were replaced by the IRT Low-V subway cars. The picture was taken at the 239th St Yard, which was shared by the IRT White Plains Road Line and the 3rd Ave El.
This 1939 Bronx Subway & El map shows the complete 2nd & 9th Ave Els in Manhattan, the Bergen Connector from the 3rd Ave El at 143rd St to the White Plains Road Line, the Bronx Park Terminals on the 3rd Ave El (Botanical Gardens) and the West Farms Line Terminal at the Bronx Zoo and the New York Westchester & Boston RR before it became the Dyre Ave Line. The Whitestone Bridge was built in time for the opening of the 1939 World's Fair.
May 26, 1935 was the grand opening of Frank Frisch Field located off of Webster Ave Between Mosholu Pkwy and Botanical Garden Square along the NY Central Harlem Division tracks just North of the Botanical Garden station. The steel arched 3rd Ave El there added to open nature of the parkway and provided and interesting back-drop to Frisch Field. This photo (dpr_01427) is one my favorites of the set of photos from the NY City Municipal Archives that document the opening of Frisch Field.
The rest of the photos of this set have been uploaded to this album.
See "http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/s/0qdxr4", "http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/s/jm4iuj", "http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/s/m30dl0".