On the 3rd of August 1905, whilst descending Madeira Walk towards the Harbour car number 41 jumped the tracks, careered over the cliff and crashed some 30 feet below. Miraculously there were only a few passengers on board at the time and they all escaped unharmed, the driver being the only person to sustain injury.
Tram disaster 3rd of August 1905, Madeira Walk.
Tram disaster 3rd of August 1905, Madeira Walk
On the 26th of May 1905 a tram crashed into a building on the "Loop Line" linking Broadstairs Town and Ramsgate Harbour.
Can you help with the location?
Leave a comment or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pratts Perfection Spirit delivery (petrol) outside the water tower in Southwood Road.
Pratts was a trading name of Anglo American Oil Company which became known as Esso in 1936. Pratts Ramsgate depot was in Lorne Road.
The picture above was taken around 1920 and the driver was Alf Miller.
Inner and outer basins showing two lock gates in use.
Clock House in the Pier Yard
Colonade at the Pier Yard before construction of the Royal Victoria Pavilion
Ramsgate Fire Brigade taken in the Fire Station Yard, Effingham Street.
Fire and Life Brigade. Location unknown.
Gas Works in Boundary Road. Presumably an incident as the Fire brigade are up the ladder and there's a Police Officer on duty.
German Submarine towed into harbour and moored on the East Pier, 16th December 1918.
The Harbour - 1934
West Pier and Boat Builder's Yard
Inner Basin showing the Royal Albion Hotel and the old Royal Hotel (Hiscock's Royal Hotel).
Rides from Ramsgate to Minster were very popular. Location unknown.
Custom's House and Harbour Master's House in the Pier Yard
Ship fire in the inner basin.
Ship Building Yard outside the West Pier.
Turntable at the end of the line, Sands Station, Harbour Parade.
The Odeon Cinema, on the corner of Kings Street and Broad Street
The Odeon Cinema, on the corner of Kings Street and Broad Street
Later known as the Classic the cinema opened in 1936 and has now been demolished.
Interior of the Odeon, King Street
Projection Room of the Odeon, King Street
Odeon Cinema on the corner of King Street and Broad Street
Southwood House Convalescent Home, St Lawrence
Southwood House was on the site of present day Southwood Gardens and was the home of Henry and Lady Rose Weigall.
Market Place and Harbour Street viewed from High Street
Shanly's Electric Theatre, George Street between Cavendish Street and Effingham Street
Looking west over the town between 1946 & 1951.
The ship Bounty can be seen moored in the inner basin
View of the town looking south east
You can see in this view there were two lock gates in the cross wall between the inner and outer basins.
St George's Church viewed from Church Road
Regency Hotel and alongside the West Cliff Hall.
In the background can be seen open fields which is today Newington Estate and surrounding area
"Screaming Alley" as it's known locally, looking towards the sea from the junction of Grange Road and St Augustine's Road.
The Bounty leaving Ramsgate Harbour in 1951
Construction begins on Royal Parade ("New Road")
S. Fuller, 29 Queen Street.
In 1895 S. Fuller was described in a local directory as: Marine Library, Bookseller & Stationer, Stamp Office
R.M. Stores, Groceries & Provisions, Grange Road
Blackburn Upholsterer, Undertaker & Cabinet Maker, 69, 71 & 73 King Street
Undertakers were often associated with Carpenters and Cabinet Makers as they made the coffins and it was a natural progression to conduct the funerals as well
S.R. Port, Builder's Merchant, 66 High Street.
G & T Rowe, Ironmonger, 1 High Street.
G & T Rowe also had a workshop in Turner Street c1895
Arthur Burman, Grocer & Provision Merchant, 7 Adelphi Terrace, Grange Road.
Adelphi Terrace was on the west side of Grange Road between between St. Mildred's and Edith Roads.
William J Marsh, 8, 10 & 12 High Street.
Merchant Tailor, Hatter, Hosier & Outfitter, Boot & Shoe Warehouse
Major works at Marina Esplanade / Marina Road during demolition of the former lift shaft.
Staff of Ramsgate Brewery c1908
Does anyone know the location of Ramsgate Brewery? Could the sign read "Tomson & Wotton. RAMSGATE BREWERY" or was this a brewery in its own right?
Please leave a comment or email email@example.com
Regency Hotel & Lawns viewed from West Cliff Promenade
West Cliff Promenade above West Cliff Hall
The underground toilet entrance can be seen but has long since been covered over. Access to the toilets can be gained through a wall in West Cliff Hall
Fleet's Brewery, 5 - 6 Broad Street
Belmont Wheel Works - W. Cowland.
In 1895 W. Cowland was listed as a Coachbuilder with premises in Belmont Street and 73 Hardres Street
Edwin Day, Watchmaker, 67 King Street
Duchess of Kent, 116 King Street and Daniel Hawkes, Fishmonger, 120 King Street.
Charabanc operated by R.W. Harding of 33 Duncan Road.
This photo is taken in Church Street, Minster.
The driver is Owen Spain
Charabanc operated by R.W. Harding of 33 Duncan Road.
This picture is taken outside the White Horse Hotel in Church Street, Minster, now a private residence.
The driver is Owen Spain and beside him is his son Ernest who went on to establish Spain's Taxis and Car Hire
The Sportsman Inn, Sandwich Road, Cliffsend.
Marina Bathing Pool and adjacent Boating Lake.
Leopold Street looking from the Harbour towards Queen Street.
Harbour Street viewed from the harbour end
Harbour Parade with Kent Terrace above.
Grange Road looking north at the junction with Southwood Road, South Eastern Road and Vale Road.
Building of Royal Parade commences in 1893.
Convent de la Providence (home for females), previously 43-45 Crescent Road, now 7 & 9. Also previously known as Bonne Ville or Bonne Villas.
The gates shown in the picture are to Christ Church Vicarage which was next door.
J & T Turner, First Class Fruiterer, 50 Plains of Waterloo on the corner with Belle Vue Road.
The Market Place looking towards Harbour Street.
West Cliff Band Stand, Royal Esplanade.
Christ Church, Vale Square
Harbour Street looking towards High Street.
Imperial Bazaar, 6 Albion Hill (Place)
West Cliff Hall, St. Augustine's Road.
Charabanc run by Benjamin Redbourne & Sons, Granville Garage, Thanet Road. This photo is taken outside the Bell Inn at Minster.
Charabanc run by Benjamin Redbourne & Sons, outside their premises at Granville Garage, Thanet Road
Ramsgate Airfield, Pysons Road.
The terminal building was accessed from Hopes Lane.
Regency Hotel and Gardens, St Augustine's Road.
View of the town. The church is St George's, Church Hill.
The gardens in the centre of the picture in Albion Place.
Possibly the cart of Charlotte Tilbury, Greengrocer, 12 Addington Street, (from 1900 street directory).
Ramsgate Town Station at the junction of Margate Road and Station Approach Road.
Harbour Street looking north east towards High Street
London Road looking towards Grange Road.
Ramsgate Library viewed across Guildford Lawn.
High Street St. Lawrence looking towards the Wheatsheaf at the junction with Newington Road.
The public house on the left is the Rose Inn.
The Bounty floating Restaurant in the inner basin.
Joseph Summers, Furniture Dealer, High Street.
Alfred George Mummery, Baker, 2 George Street
As a general rule, Ramsgate street numbering starts at the end nearest the post office in High Street. Despite being number 2, Mummery's is thought to be located above Cavendish Street, presumable because Sanger's Amphitheatre complex occupied the site below Cavendish Street.
H.C. Child, draper, Costumier & Ladies Outfitter.
In 1895 H.C. Child had premises at 2 & 4 Cliff Street and 62 Queen Street but where is this shop?
Can you help? Please leave a comment or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Frank Twigg, Saddle, Harness and Trunk Maker, 18 High Street, 1897-1918
Edward Bailey, Pharmacy, 9 Queen Street
H.C. Child, Corset Manufacturer, 62 Queen Street, 2 & 4 Cliff Street
John Linscott, Grocer, 16 Addington Street.
Harbour Dredger "Ramsgate"
Regency Hotel or Royal Crescent, St. Augustine's Road viewed from The Paragon.
Tunnel Railway entrance, Marina Esplanade.
Originally a main line to Ramsgate Sands Station, the tunnel was later used as a light railway to Hereson Road.
Belle Vue Road looking from the Plains of Waterloo towards Victoria Road
Admiral Harvey on the corner of York Street and Harbour Parade
Royal Albion Hotel (c.1808) before being demolished to build Madeira Walk
Initially the hotel shared the site with The Old Kings Head until the premises were merged to form the hotel above. The building was demolished to make easier access to the east cliff area.
Another view of the Albion Hotel but here it doesn't have its Royal connotation
The Bounty being towed out of harbour in 1951
Originally called the Alastor she transported many emigrants to New Zealand, and later brought timber from Finland to the Kent coast. In 1946 she was brought to Ramsgate, renamed Bounty and converted into a floating restauarant. She was moored near the Clock House in the pier yard until 1951, when she was taken to London for the Festival of Britain, and later broken up.
Clock house in the pier yard
The sailing ship is in the dry dock which was later covered over and used to store ice
Ramsgate's Colonnade after gales in november 1897.
The Colonnade stood on the site of the Royal Victoria Pavilion next to the Pier Yard
Colonade after the gales of 1897
Customs House in Pier Yard opposite the slipway
This view is taken from near the start of the east pier. Present day Harbour Parade runs behind the house
J Dilnot, Fruiterer and Greengrocer, 60 High Street on the corner with George Street
East Cliff Lodge in King George VI Memorial Park
Inner basin at the Harbour
Military Road before construction of "The New Road" Royal Parade
View along the west pier
Inner basin showing the lock gates and one of two bridges that crossed the two entrances
Fishing smacks in the inner basin
Harbour Parade and inner basin before construction of Royal Parade
Harbour Parade showing the old Queens Head on the left
When this photo was taken the area was known as Goldsmid Place. The view is looking towards the sea with warehouses and back of the Customs House on the right
Harbour Parade after demolishion the Pier Yard buildings
Of interest are the lavatories which were in the pier yard. These were sealed up, probably in the 1970s
High Street St Lawrence looking towards the Church from near Ellington Place
Inner Basin from the Pier Yard
Merrie England and sands after closure of the Sands Railway Station
Military Road looking towards Harbour Parade
Construction commences of Royal Parade
Harbour Parade (Goldsmid Place)
Note the Pier Yard buildings which have long since gone
From the left: Warehouses - Custom House - Obelisk - Harbour Master's House - Harbour Office
Police Office in the Pier Yard
The old Queens Head in Harbour Parade (Goldsmid Place)
Sands and Harbour before the construction of Marina Road and the railway station
Sands Station terminal
Locomotives were turned on a turntable at the end of the line for the return trip.
Coffee Stall at the land end of the West Pier. Originally built of wood by Jacob Steed it was later replaced by stone steps.
Townley House in Chatham Street
This Georgian building was frequented by Queen Victoria in her youth
Steam tug Vulcan at the East Pier head
Vulcan was an iron steam paddle tug which arrived in Ramsgate c1858. One task the Ramsgate tugs undertook was towing the lifeboat out to ships in distress during adverse weather and assisting in rescues. Vulcan along with the wooden tug Aide participated with lifeboat Bradford in the famous rescue of the Indian Chief in 1881
Genuine Ramsgate Rock, but do you know the characters or occasion?
Ramsgate Sands, north east of the harbour
Cliff collapse at Pegwell Road overlooking Pegwell Bay.
Pegwell Road looking east from the bay
Thought to be taken in Marina Esplanade just below Kent Terrace but does anyone know the occasion?
Ramsgate Town Station at the junction of Margate Road and Station Approach Road.
Trains first arrived here from Canterbury c1846 via the South East Railway (SER).
Accident at Ramsgate Town Station on the 11th March 1913
Alexandra Free House, 70 Harbour Parade
This building was demolished in 1907 when it was decided to widen access to the sands and railway station. The current Alexandra Hotal was built some yards further back
High Street viewed from Hardres Street. This is where George Sanger built an Amphitheatre in 1883. The George & Dragon public house stood at the corner of George Street and High Street in 1822 but had moved further up George Street before 1849. The site was cleared by 1872 in preparation for building the Amphitheatre.
George Sanger's Amphitheatre in High Street opposite Hardres Street.
The Amphitheatre was built in 1883 and around 1908 it was converted to a theatre. It was laterly used as a cinema with sound being introduced in 1929 to accomodate talking movies.
The last pint was pulled in Sangers Bar 1961 and the building was demolished that same year.
Sanger's Hotel on the corner of High Street and George Street. The hotel was part of the Sanger's Amphitheatre complex
Outside Sanger's Amphitheatre in High Street, showing Lloyds Bank opposite on the corner of High Street and Hardres Street before 1908.
Originally there were eight draped female statues outside the Palace holding ornamented gas lamps. Six of the figures were later removed and placed outside Sanger's Hall in Margate.
Looking south east down High Street from opposite George Street
All eight of the statues holding gas lamps can be seen outside Sanger's Amphitheatre.
Six of the staues or sentinels were removed (apparently due to prudish reaction) and went to the Hall by the Sea Gardens on Margate seafront. As compensation to Lord George Sanger a subscription was raised as a result of which a portrait was painted of the man which hung in the Theatre for many years. The two remaining statues which were outside the main entrance were removed in 1939.
Looking south east down High Street
One of Sanger's statues can be see, and the building with the clock outside is the old Ramsgate Post Office
The Old Post Office in High Street looking
The New Post Office in High Street built on the site of the old one c 1909
One of Sanger's statues can be seen
L.E. Benton General Dealer on the corner of Ashburnham Road and Chapel Road.
Later rebuilt and known as Benton's Cash Stores
Benton's Cash Stores at No. 5 Ashburnham Road, on the corner with Chapel Road
Formerly know as L.E. Benton General Dealer
Armed Drifters in the inner basin
Feb 1915 - Adapted fishing vessels based at Ramsgate were "Arcady", "lord Charles Beresford", "Paramount", "Loyal Star", "Acceptable", "Try Again", "Campanula", "Lord Cromer", "Rooke", "Majesty", "Frons Olivae", "Dewey", "Joe Chamberlain", "City of Glasgow", "Buckler", "Lord Claud Hamilton", " City of Liverpool", "Reaper" and "City of Edinburgh"
15th March 1915 - ten additional Drifters arrive: - "Redwald", "Ocean Hope", "John Lincoln", "Silver Line", "Achievable", "Ocean Pilot", "Ocean Crest", "Feasible", "Present Help" and "R.R.S".
Frons Olivae was blown up by a german mine on 12th October 1915 near Elbow Buoy. Lt. T.R. Rogers R.N.R. Skipper and 9 men were lost, 2 survivors found.
Gun salvaged from a German submarine which was displayed for many years at Nelson Crescent.
THE NOTICE SAYS: "88mm gun salved from German submarine which vessel was engaged on the morning of Nov 28th 1917 by vessels of the Ramsgate Armed Drifter Squadron, driven on the Goodwin Sands and wrecked".
24th November 1917 - 6.30am approx one and one half miles N.E. of Gull Light Vessel, enemy submarine observed by sweepers bound north. "Paramount", "Majesty" and "Present Help" attacked. Later "Feasible", "Acceptable" and "Lord Claud Hamilton" assisted. Enemy fire caused slight damage to Present Help. The sub U.48 eventually blew up, 19 survivors were made prisoners. No casualties on the Drifters and the Admiralty paid awards totalling £31,000. 3 skippers received the D.S.C., 5 ratings the D.S.M. The Vice Admiral at Dover wrote; - " I wish to express my satisfaction at the gallant way in which the Drifters named attacked this submarine armed with a 4" gun"
Junction of Margate Road, Princes Road, College Road and St Lukes Avenue.
The view is looking north along Margate Road towards Margate
The Derby Arms is in the centre of the picture
Excavation begins for construction of Westcliff Hall at The Paragon. Health & Safety Executive inspectors will be along shortly!!
Harbour Street looking north east towards High Street
On the right is White and Ellis, a popular clothing and haberdashery store
Ozonic Mineral Water Company was at one time based at Westwood at the junction of Margate Road and Westwood Road. It's believed that Ozonic purchased (amongst others) a drinks company at 28 Turner Street Ramsgate (formerly Ramsgate Taxis) and there are many bottles buried under the present structure
Philpott's Garage, Canterbury Road East (north side) close to Nethercourt Roundabout. The garage was built by W.S. Cole & Son of Monkton in 1936 for Charlie Philpott's motorcycle business . The garage was taken over by the army during the second world war. Charlie re-opened for business after the war. As his family grew he built a house next to the garage and vacated the accomodation above. This accomodation was made into two flats and occupied by two members of the Invicta Motorcycle Club
Grange Road looking east from between Southwood Road and Edith Road. Note the electric tram system and the Mill.
A rare photo of joint collaberation between the British Red Cross Society and St John Ambulance Association at Ramsgate
A later example of British Red Cross and St John Ambulance Association collaberation, this time covering Thanet.
Photo taken outside Ransgate Fire Station in Effingham Street.
Can anyone identify the characters?
J A Powell, 43 Queen Street, Fruiterer, Greengrocer & Dairyman, Registrar of Marriages.
(Thanks to John Danton for the information)
Southwood Road looking west from its junction with Lorne Road
Newcastle Hill showing the Wesleyan Mission Hall
The old toll house situated at the junction of Canterbury Road East and Chiltern Lane, looking east along the old Canterbury Road
The old toll house situated at the junction of Canterbury Road East and Chiltern Lane.
Pond opposite the old Toll House at Canterbury Road East.
The pond was in the area between Kendall Close and Nethercourt Hill
Nethercourt Hill looking up with Nethercourt Park on the left
Nethercourt Hill looking down with Nethercourt Park on the right. The picture is taken from Southwood Lodge
High Street St Lawrence c1860 looking north east from Nethercourt towards its junction with Newington Road
On the left is The Rose Inn and at the end is the old Wheatsheaf Inn
High Street St Lawrence looking towards St Laurence Church from the junction with Ashburnham Road
High Street St Lawrence looking north east to its junction with Newington Road
On the left can be seen The Rose Inn and at the end (junction with Newington Road) can be seen The Wheatsheaf
A later view of High Street St Lawrence looking north east to its junction with Newington Road
with The Rose Inn on the left, Wheatsheaf further on and on the right Terrells Store and Post Office
High Street St Lawrence from outside St Laurence Church looking towards Nethercourt Hill
Dodsworth Stores can be seen next to the Church
It's believed the iron railings around the Church Yard were recycled during the second world war
High Street St Lawrence from outside the Church looking towards Nethercourt.
On this photo the Church Yard has a wall around it
High Street St Lawrence looking towards Nethercourt. Chapel Road is the turning to the left
Fendell's Stores, 58 High Street St Lawrence
Dodsworth Stores adjacent to St Laurence Church, High Street St Lawrence
High Street St Lawrence c1951 after road widening
Left to right - The Rose Inn, St Laurence Church, The Wheatsheaf and The White Horse
The White Horse in this picture is on the opposite side of the road to St Laurence Church. It later moved along High Street St Lawrence to a new location at its junction with Ashburnham Road. The name changed to The St Lawrence Tavern after a major rebuild
The new Wheatsheaf at the junction of High Street St Lawrence and Newington Road
The old Wheatsheaf Inn at the junction of High Street St Lawrence and Newington Road
St Laurence Church
Only the Church is named St Laurence, the surrounding area is called St Lawrence
The Church was established in 1062 and is the oldest in Ramsgate. The building dates from different mediaeval periods
High Street St Lawrence / Park Road looking west towards St Laurence Church. The Church can just be seen through the trees.
On the left is Wilton Croft which became Ellington Infants School
High Street St Lawrence looking east from the junction with Newington Road. The building on the left is The Wheatsheaf pub
High Street St Lawrence looking east from near the junction with Newington Road
St Lawrence Railway Station looking west towards Newington Road bridge
This was the first station as you approached Ramsgate from Canterbury with the Town Station being built at the junction of Margate Road and Station Approach Road. Both St Lawrence and the Town Station dissapeared when a new station was opened at the junction of Wilfred Road and Station Approach Road on the 2nd July 1926
St Lawrence Station looking east under Newington Road bridge
Manston Road railway crossing before the current road bridge was built
Manston Road railway crossing looking west up Manston Road towards Manston
Grange Road just north of Ashburnham Road
The old Ellington School on the corner of Grange Road and Crescent Road, viewed looking north east from Ashburnham Road
The Old Chantry House viewed from Grange Road at its junction with Ellington Place.
A small Chapel stood in the grounds of the building now on the opposite corner.
The Old Chantry House viewed looking south from Grange Road. Ellington Place can just be seen off to the right
Ellington Place at the rear of the Old Chantry House
The building at the end of Ellington Place is almost certainly the Cannon Inn on the corner with High Street St Lawrence. The Cannon was consumed by Ellington Girls School around 1956
Ramsgate Mill, Grange Road between Mill Cottages and Cannonbury Road
later know as Hudson and Parkin Mill
Ramsgate Mill, Grange Road at the junction with Cannonbury Road, later know as Hudson and Parkin Mill.
Tram lines can be seen in Grange Road
Looking south east at Ramsgate Mill, Grange Road between Mill Cottages and Cannonbury Road
This truck didn't quite make it around the bend at the bottom of Grange Road into St Augustine's Road.
The truck is thought to be an army vehicle and from the look of the wreckage it appears a motorcycle was involved
St Augustines' War Shrine at the junction of St Augustine Road and Royal Esplanade (Screaming Alley and Government Acre)
Royal Esplanade looking west
This view is possibly taken from St Augustine's Church looking over The Grange
Park Keeper at Elington Park
The Brown Jug public house at Dumpton.
Not strictly Ramsgate but located in Ramsgate Road, Broadstairs. Reputedly this pub started life in the late 18th century as the "Queen's Arms Tap" and was first known as The Brown Jug c1814
Ramsgate's "Dust Destructor" in the area bordered by Margate Road, Princes Road and Whitehall Road before the viaduct was built. This area was known as the "Blue Mountain".
Princes Road is known locally as "Dirt Hill" or "Dirt Cart Hill"
Albert Road looking towards the sea
Dumpton Lane looking towards West Dumpton Lane
East Cliff Lodge, King George VI Park
Pegwell Bay looking east.
Ramsgate Harbour is just around the corner
Pegwell Bay looking east
Belle Vue Tea Gardens overlooked Pegwell Bay
Ramsgate Harbour before construction of Royal Parade
Harbour Parade at the junction with York Street. Admiral Harvey pub is on the corner
Royal Parade from Harbour Parade
Work started on constructing Royal Parade in 1893 and it's still known locally as the "New Road"
Queen Street looking towards the town centre from near Elms Avenue
On the corner of Cliff Street and Queen Street.
Cliff Street is the road on the left
Exact location not certain but thought to be in Cliff Street
Queen Street adjacent to St Michael's Alley
Demolished in 1908
Market Place at the junction of Queen Street and Harbour Street with the old Town Hall above
Market Place and Town Hall decorated for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Day in June 1897
Market Place looking from Queen Street towards King Street
Queen Street looking towards Westcliff Road on August 4th 1923
On the right is Coman's Yard and the road on the left is Leopold Street
Princes Road before demolition and building of a multi storey car park
Kings Cinema just off King Street alongside the Red Lion pub.
Vessel of Wrath was released in 1938.
Leopold Street looking towards the harbour
York Street looking from Queen Street towards the harbour
The Hovelling Boat Inn is on the left corner
Prices Street area before demolishion and construction of a multi storey car park
The old Methodist Church on the corner of Broad Street and Hardres Street
The old Methodist Church after a bombing raid in the second world war
Tomson & Wotton brewery in Elms Avenue just off Queen Street. Tomson & Wotton were founded in 1634 and eventually taken over by Whitbread in 1968. Tomson & Wotton owned Ozonic Mineral Water Co. based at Westwood and also Dunns Furnishers. Their group headquarters was in Queen Street on the corner with Hertford Street
Hunts Subscription Library on the corner with Queen Street and High Street
In 1849 this building was Burgess's Library and Bank. Today in 2010 its Lloyds Bank
The Ramsgate Picture House, High Street almost opposite George Street
The Cabin (J. Young), thought to be near the corner of King Street and Broad Street
Townley Castle, Chatham Place
Lazarus Hart outside his hardware shop at 7 & 9 Harbour Street c.1908
Lazarus Hart was Ramsgate's first Jewish Mayor and left £10,000 when he died in 1917 for the errection of ten houses just off Thanet Road, known as The Havens of Rest
St Lawrence College
The Honeysuckle, Honeysuckle Road
Outside The Honeysuckle, Honeysuckle Road
Old cottages in Honeysuckle Road facing Hereson Road.
The end of The Honeysuckle public house can just be seen on the left on the other side of the lane. There are still two cottages existing of similar style a little further up the lane which were known as Tritsch's Cottages after a local councillor Jacob Tritsch
South Eastern Road looking north east at its junction with Ellington Road
F Wellard jnr at the junction of Ayton Road and Cumberland Road
The Bull & George Hotel, High Street opposite Turner Street, after a Zeplin raid in May 1917. Previously Hayward's and Hudson's hotels
Monkton Place furniture warehouse
Towards the top of Madeira Walk
The Westcliff Concert Hall
W. Andrews, Fishmonger, 20 Addington Street.
Queing to see Vessels of Wrath at the King's Cinema in King Street alongside the Red Lion public house.
Vessels of Wrath was released in 1938
The Bull & George Hotel, High Street opposite Turner Street, after a Zeplin raid in May 1917
Western Undercliff beneath "Screaming Alley"
Harry Gold and his Yachtsmen concert party who played at Ramsgate Sands, 1922.
Rough seas at Ramsgate's sands
Ramsgate's underground air raid shelter system.
The system was dug during the second world war. Tunnels ran from the harbour under Addington Street, North Avenue and Ellington Road to Ellington Park. A branch at Cannon Road ran under Paradise, Eagle Hill, Chatham Place, Boundary Road and Victoria Road to join the railway tunnel to Ramsgate Sands Station. Entrances were located at various points and it became a convenient way to get around town. Only those with a permit were allowed to sleep underground.
General view of Ramsgate's inner basin after 1893
Royal Victoria Pavilion, known locally as "The Pav", in Harbour Parade.
West pier head at the harbour entrance
Ramsgate Harbour or Sands Station showing the turntable at the end of Harbour Parade.
Trains would arrive at the station from London via a spur line which runs throug a tunnel off the main line near Dumpton. Locomotives would be turned round on the turntable for the journey back up the tunnel incline
War Time defences at Wellington Crescent - 1944
Wellington Crescent Bandstand during war time.
The hut in the foreground is in fact a concrete pillbox fitted with a wooden roof for camouflage.
Harbour inner basin
West Pier head
Marrie England, Marina Esplanade
Harbour Parade and Madeira Walk
Obelisk and pier yard before construction of the Royal Victoria Pavilion
The obelisk was built to commemorate the visit of King George to Ramsgate on his travels to his Kingdom of Hannover. He also denominated the harbour to be a Royal Harbour, the only one in Britain.
Entrance to the Railway Tunner along Marina Esplanade that connected Ramsgate Sands Station with the main line to Margate and London.
Taxis at Ramsgate Railway Station
Drivers left to right: "Jock" - Ted Spain - Arthur Bolton - Arthur Spain - Les Linsdell - Owen Spain
Closed and open carriages for hire at Newington. They were run by the Spain family, but not the same family as Spains Taxis & Car hire
Claxton & Co. Ltd.
This photo is dated September 25th 1939 and was taken outside Merrie England in Marina Esplanade. A few weeks later in October 1939 Merrie England was commissioned as a naval shore base known as HMS Fervent.
In 1936 Claxtons occupied the Clock House at the Harbour and had stores at 7 Military Road.
Harbour view looking east
The Harbour and surrounding area looking west before construction of the outer dock and ferry terminal