One of my 5 most difficult and complex cuts
Pac-Man mouth cuts for ring-rows attaching to the inner arch.
Numbering the anled sides before mortaring in.
That's my keystone in the middle and the numbered L (left) and R (right) arch bricks. Love the red blotch in the middle keystone. It's all black now so it doesn't show anyway.
Finally going over the dome
Mike in the oven, it's really huge inside.
I used the angle grinder to get these chunks off (the black mortar that spread) but I didn't need to.
My vent opening is quite large. I wanted it to draw smoke well. this shows that I successfully went over the arch with my ring brings. No droop (yuppie)
My 'quaker hat' solution to the vent transition
Sponge in hole
I did NOT screw or bolt my anchor plate. Not needed, the cement held it in and I put more bricks on and over it.
This is how I held in the anchor plate
This is the steel vent anchor, imbedded
I used "quaker hat" shaped ears on the sides to counter balance the weight over the arch walls. There are 3-4 on each side.
Looking up the oven, the oven opening to your right.
I have not mortared the very top pieces yet.
I've been told this is an excellent and unuasally smooth vent transition. It draws smoke out REALLY good.