We layed out the ovens base using Google Sketchup. We wanted a double storage and wanted to see how the blocks stacked.
I made this 'mock up' of the finished oven almost a year earlier. Turned out very close.
Overview of dug footings. It was a cool Feb morning, 2009.
More views of the Oven base with Dobbey blocks & 1/2" rebar
I did the rent a load of cement. Worked great!
Is this how to stack blocks over the bars?
This was fun stacking the blocks like a puzzle
Cement board covers openings
Lots of rebar 'cuz we're in Earthquake Country
Mike is checking level
Dino has no idea what he is doing with the float
The 2" Glass Fiber Rigid insulation under the floor that will be 700-900 degrees
It was easy to cut the curve in the brick
Side shot of the base and hearth bricks
cutting the oven floor
It's taking shape!
Mike is cleaning the oven floor. Kitchen needs it too.
I wanted a big, wide landing. It made the arches harder but I'm glad we did it.
It starts with a "soldier course" on the sides. You see the entry floor in the front.
Using flower foam to help figure out my cuts.
Mortared in the "soldier course" (the black stuff)
We imported the 'black' high mortar from Italy. It was called Refmix, works really good.
What a puzzle, we'll I look puzzled.
3rd ring almost done.
Every piece is trapazoidal. Really a lot of cutting to make the dome 'tight'.
Inspector cat and Dino checking out the inside dome work
Starting the vent walls. Needed angled pieces.
I've been told this is an excellent and unuasally smooth vent transition. It draws smoke out REALLY good.
The rings cut or bite into the arch. This was a hard row.
Probably my wierdest cut...but made for a very tight fitting oven.
I loved this keystone, it had red iron stains in it.
This was a hard cut too. It the side wall arch the ties into the arch.
I hate gravity.
Inside the dome.
Yes, it felt a coffin, creepy
The dome almost closed.
this is how I cut the rond keystone plug
The top 2-piece plug. Well, its actually 4 pieces.
Now you see the top 2 piece and bottom 2 piece plug.
Time for the anchor plate of the vent.
Mike with the Thermometer Laser Gun checkin temps
The first curring fires. Ellie's there too.
Finally, officially insulated the oven. This is 1" ceramic fiber, hightech insulation: 2 layers on the sides, 3-4 layers on top. The oven will perform really nice now.
Yup, Mike is lovin the oven.
Starting the steel stud framing. Never did this before either.
The blue tarp is to keep the kitty from wanting lay on the white insultaion blanket that wraps around the dome.
This high tech, glass fiber. Used in satellites, rockets and high-tech facilities. Expensive but insulates great. 900 degrees inside, room temp outside.
Cement board screwed onto the steel studs.
Needs a slate roof now.
See the copper nails used in the slate?
We had a copper flashing specially made. Need to keep the water out so this was the only way.
Finished slate roof!
Doing the front counter
Giggling because I'm using a vibrator. Yes, very relaxed cement.
Back of oven structure has switch for the lights and an electrical access box too.
Mike pointing a laser thermometer to see if its at pizza temps yet (800 deg approx.)
My first sour dough bread in the oven
We're finally cooking though nowhere near done.
My set up for pizza parties. Some friends still think this is the finished oven. Wait till they see it now.
Italien red cobble stone, split in half for the outer facad arch
Putting on the corner stone pieces first.
Starting to put the stone facade on the back
Dino mortaring on the outer stones
I stucco'd the inside of the storage holes. Helps keep the spiders out of the nooks and cracks.
Mike and Rod checking out the old Valencia Orange Tree
Yay, the light work!
Nite time view of the finished oven.
Finished, yes finally finished 1 year and 4 months later.
Put up this Sail Shade so I can cook in the middle of the day.
Pizza out of the oven