The before shot of the engine bay. '00 Supercharged 1.8L
I removed the trunk release and gas tank release from the interior, but still needed access to the gas tank release. This was my solution.
Trunk latch was removed and hood pins are now used to keep the trunk closed.
Another hood/trunk pin.
I figured if I was increasing the performance, I had to increase the safety.
Miatacage.com weld in cage. Nice nascar door bars, makes getting in and out a little easier.
All the cage fitting and welding was done by All Aspects Motorsports in Chesapeake. Kienan and Vern rock!
This is what happens when you are late picking up your car from the shop that installed the cage. They had their own wide body concept.
NO...This is not what I am going with.
1st test fit of the new engine. It went in like a glove.
I am using the V8 Roadsters subframe which is a quality part. I am really happy I bought this, it probably saved me a month of weekends building one.
Engine is a little close to the radiator. That will need to be modified.
Radiator support was cut out and rebuilt. I moved the radiator forward about 3in.
I will be using hood pins, so the factory hood latch is no longer needed.
I added some 3/8in angle iron where the factory sheet metal was removed. It is impossible to get the metal clean enough to get a good clean weld. It's ugly, but it's not going anywhere.
I wasn't able to add as much reinforcement as I would have liked, but anything is better than nothing.
The widened tranny tunnel welded back together.
The radiator fits into the new mounts very well. I tried to make removal/installation of the radiator a quick painless process.
Two 8mm studs welded into the new upper mounts.
New brackets made for the factory lower radiator mounts.
Tranny tunnel all cleaned up and primered.
It turned out better than I thought it would. I even thought about skim coating it with body filler to smooth out the surface, but then I snapped back to reality and remembered that it is a tranny tunnel and will never be seen after the engine is installed.
Steering column mounted with adjustable height settings. It's hard to tell what is right when sitting in the garage. The adjustment will allow me to make changes at the track if my initial setting wasn't right.
Here's my attempt to stiffen up the front of the car. The two 45deg tubes will be welded to the firewall support shown in the next picture.
Here's a support plate that I built to reinforce the top of the firewall. The area of the cowl under the plate was cut out so the supporting tubes are welded directly to the plate. This is all designed to support the triangulated strut tower bracing that I will build later.
Rear sub frame out of a '04 Mazdaspeed Miata. I stitch welded the seams.
The bracing size and quantity on the MSM is quite robust compared to the NA sub frame.
I cut out the stock seat mounting points and built a frame with a little adjustment for my race seat.
-6AN fittings added to the fuel tank.
C5 Corvette fuel filter with -6AN fittings added to it.
Here's my initial concept for my custom dash. I plan on mocking it up with cardboard and going from there.