This picture was taken on July 9th
This was taken on July 13th
November 7th - Last night I noticed a lot of activity, it looked like they were sealing all the gaps of this box. This morning I took this picture, and it is the first time I can see the comb since July.
It has become pretty clear that we need to do something about it. Calling the local beekeeper is out of the question. Where we live they do not remove or relocate bees, they exterminate them.
The box has been very thoroughly sealed with propolis.
I can see honey !!
The unsuspecting bees on "D" day... more like "b" day...!
We prepared as much as we could, drop cloths, work table, syrup bottles, top bars with hair clips to attach the combs, knives, brushes. The trees tied back so they wouldn't get in our way.... Our main beek's flight was delayed and it was getting late...
ladder in position
Pete installing a fitting to attach the pulley system...
Chris finally arrives... and goes up for the first inspection to locate the screws holding the owl nesting box to the tree.
The first bee sting.
Trying to figure out the logistics and seeing what it there.
Securing the block system to the tree
Block system in place and securing box to it before dealing with the screws.
Chris successfully removed the screw at the bottom of the box and one on the top but he cannot find the last one ...
Time is running out... no choice but to pry it off the tree. Chris has to wrap his left arm around the tree and hold the other side of the box so as not to drop it.
And off it comes....
Lowering the box...
Very difficult to lower it gently and upright while trying not to fall off the ladder!
Lowering the box gently.
Unfortunately some of the outside combs break, heavy with honey.
Almost all the way down.
No time to waste... attaching the combs to the top bars
Another comb attached.
Some of the combs are jagged at the top so we have to trim.
And another ...
The honey combs are in...
Trying to get the bees of the outside of the box to go into the tbh.
This is when Pete get a few inside his veil... no stings, though...
We still have to get inside the owl box
Brushing the bees onto the TBH
We got a lot of them in...
Brood combs going in now...
We had to break the bottom of the box to get the brood combs out.
This is the inside of the top of the box, after cutting the combs
The box is now empty.
All the combs we managed to attach.
A few more bees in before we close the tbh.
Getting ready to close the TBH.
Marc, the intrepid photographer !!
The kids watching from a safe distance.
Pete, me, and the jolly giants in a celebration of beer and honey...