July 5, 2010 - the day I brought the boat down from my father's house near Wilmington, DE where it had been delivered by its previous owner from Lake Placid, NY. I then trailered it back to my home in Northern Virginia to start working on it.
Original condition of boat when I took ownership on July 5 2010. Plywood deck had been directly painted by one of the previous owners.
For inspiration, I stripped the port side first to give myself the before and after wow factor. Seeing the difference motivated me to keep working on it.
July 12, 2010 - One week after I started working on it.
July 8, 2010 before beginning any work.
July 16, 2010. Removed floor boards which were rotten, and removed most of the floor paint.
One primer coat on the floor. Also removed the cockpit padding.
Another before shot, taken July 8 2010. There were ants and other insects inside, so I had to place a bug trap inside to get rid of them.
July 16. The one section of the center beam hadn't been stripped yet. I didn't realize the hull number was beneath this paint until I removed the paint and the hull number appeared beneath it all.
Floor cracks filled with epoxy and fiberglass mesh.
Floor cracks covered with fiberglass and epoxy.
Hull #9371 mysteriously appeared burned into the floor after I removed over a half decade of floor paint concealing the boat's original manufacturer's number.
Before and after of two floor sections side by side, taken on July 14, 9 days after starting.
Same two floor sections with prime coat.
Bottom of hull surface cracks.
Port side aft.
8 different colors of paint removed.
Port side bow
Daggerboard handle before varnish removal.
Daggerboard handle after varnish removal.
Rudder port side after sanding surface down to smooth base. Note the white, blue, pink and red coats from all the years of being repainted. I decided to go with white as my finish coat.
Full length view of rudder starboard side on Dec 18.
Rudder starboard side after removing dark red top paint layer. I don't plan to strip the paint all the way down to bare wood as it's not necessary and will provide added strength from the earlier layers.
Strips of rudder layed out beneath original rudder, before adhering the strips together.
Jan 11 - Strips of new Snipe rudder being adhered. I alternated between white oak and mahogany, with a 3" center section of mahogahy for added interest.
Feb 26 - cold weather kept me from making much progress in my garage until this warm spell we had last week. Here's the rudder cut to shape with a jigsaw.
Out with the old, in with the new. Still need to fare the new rudder but I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out. Surprisingly, the original rudder was not built to the Snipe rudder spects, as it was too narrow at the neck and below the waterline as well.
Close up angle of rudder before planing it down to taper the trailing edge. Also doubles as a lovely cheese board.
Port side. For some reason this side shows a better contrast between the mahogany and white oak colors. Very pleased with how this is starting to look. Can't wait to see it with the custom tiller I had built, which follows a similar wood contrast pattern.