Mandu, southwestern MP, 2006
Raja Bhoj (of Bhopal) founded Mandu in the 10th century. The Muslim rulers from Delhi took the city in 1304, and a governor appointed by Delhi ruled the Malwa area. Malwa became an independent kingdom in 1401 under the Afghan governor Dilawar Khan Ghauri. His son, Hoshang Shah, moved the capital from Dhar to Mandu. Mandu was a major city in the 14th century, at which time it was named Shadiabad (“City of Joy”). Much of the city was built in the Afghan style, inspired by its builder, Hoshang Shah. Akbar conquered the city in 1561, after which time the city declined. When the Marathas took control in 1732, the capital of Malwa was moved to Dhar, and the city was all but deserted.
Dec 5, 2006