Why it needed an engine. This is the cylinder where the cylinder liner dropped and thus caused the ring to grab and rip apart the piston. This is why another Rover v8 is not going to be used.
Why it needed an engine. Head chewed up from piston rings comming apart.
Why it needed an engine. This is actually a cylinder on the opposite bank. Some how the pieces of piston rings got over there also.
All cleaned up and ready to for the Durabak to be sprayed on.
Durabak paint has been applied to all chassis and frame in front of the firewall.
After painting the front chassis and installing suspension.
Engine ready to be installed. Note the thick adapter plate from Mark's Adapters in Australia. Also note the smaller flywheel connected to a 10.4" Centerforce pressure plate. Inside is a standard Land Rover disc. Starter was also relocated.
The late model GM 4.3l uses a flywheel that is to large. This needs to be replaced with a 153 tooth flywheel GM used to use in some earlier applications (Centerforce is where I got mine). The starter had to be remounted and the oil pan modified. One of the mounting holes do not exist for this starter locating but the block has an area that can be easily be drilled and taped. Also note the 10.4" Centerforce clutch for GM applications. Inside this is the standard Land Rover disc that fit perfectly.
The late model GM 4.3l uses a flywheel that is to large. This needs to be replaced with a 153 tooth flywheel GM used to use in some earlier applications (Centerforce is where I got mine). The starter had to be remounted and the oil pan modified. One of the mounting holes do not exist for this starter locating but the block has an area that can be easily be drilled and taped.
How the Land Rover Chassis communicates with the GM engine. This is all standard for a North American Discovery.
The Ugly! Bellhousing had to be trimmed liberally for the starter to fit.
Also note the bottom piece of Mark's Adapter's plate. In my application I modified it so it's only real purpose is to act as a dust shield with the GM oil pan. If using an old engine with a stamped oil pan one would use this piece to attach a supplied sheet metal dust shield. Since my engine was designed to use the oil pan as a dust shield this Mark's Adapter's piece just bridges the gap between the bellhousing and oil pan.
Right side engine mount. Marks Adapters mount would not fit.
Starting to come together. Airbox will not be used though.
Notch cut out to move steering box forward.
Yes the engine fits. But where is the steering box?
Passenger side engine mount. Mark's Adapter mount from Australia did not work.
Fuel lines pick up from stock rubber hose.
GM 16mm and 14mm to -6 fuel lines
GM ECM Harness. All uncovered wires were run to Rover modified ECM harness, engine to vehicle connections (battery power, ign, starter, fuel pump relay control, ect..)
ECM mounted in same location as original ECM. Extra relays mounted for fuel pump, fans and to invert a brake signal.
Sanderson Headers fit very nicely for this application. GM cast manifold does not fit at all. It shoots right into the firewall.
The oil pan seems to leave lots fo room for the axle.
First time it has moved in months! Also installed a Herculinered ARB front bumper while waiting on other parts. Hood shuts with no problem by the way.
Pretty much finished. Still needs an air filter and exhaust connected. Plan to use S&B open element until I get some fantastic idea how to build a custom snorkel. Filter not present because they sent the wrong one!
Aftermarket steering shaft for Range Rover from Atlantic British. Used a high torque shaft couple to lengthen steering shaft. Saft was cut and a key way was milled in so it will NEVER slip. This part is steel so no heat shielding required.
Steering box mounted with 3/16" backing plate for strength. Still need to fabricate a bottom bracket for the steering box (can't be seen).
Driver's side Sanderson headers. The GM factory cast manifold does not even come close to fitting. The Sanderson's fit very well though.
Simple bracket for the Land Rover throttle cable to connect to the GM throttle body. GM thortle body was slightly modified so that only this small arm is used to connect the Land Rover throttle cable.
Wiring all buttoned up and Sanderson headers.
Spal dual electric fans. Couldn't ask for a universal aftermarket piece to fit much better then that.
Side with 235/85R16 BFG AT and Hannibal roof rack. Rock sliders to be installed soon.
Back with 235/85R16 BFG AT and Hannibal roof rack.
Front with 235/85R16 BFG AT and Hannibal roof rack
Engine bay is pretty much done. Will add dual AGM batteries (most likely Deka) soon. Thinking about possibly remove ABS pump and mounting an air compressor.
The factory wires from the junkyard turned out to be bad and were arcing out. MSD wires should handle the heat from the headers much better. Engine runs much better now!
Air filter installed. S&B open filter with a simple aluminum mount to the body. Will allow plenty of room for dual batteries and possibly an air compressor.