Klosterneuburg was founded by Margrave Leopold III and developed in conjunction with its famous monastery. Leopold III and later Leopold VI (the latter only during part of his reign) had their residences there. From 1938 to 1954, it constituted the 26th district of Vienna. Today, it is a site of industry and a suburb of Vienna.
The extraordinary Monastery of the present day (erected 1730-1834) is established on a hill rising directly from the banks of the Danube. This foundation is one of the oldest and richest of its kind in Austria; and it owns much of the land upon which the north-western suburbs of Vienna stand. Within the complex stands the old chapel of 1318 containing Leopold's tomb and the Verdun Altar (which dates 12th century). It also contains a treasury, relic-chamber, and a library with 30,000 volumes and many manuscripts.
Nov 17, 2007