"This house, built by Jonas M. Tebbetts about 1858, was used as headquarters by the Federal troops during the battle of Fayetteville on April 18, 1863. Two doors still bear scars of the battle -- panels splintered by minie balls. Confederate cavalry charged down from East Mountain, led by General W.L. Cabell. The Federal commander was Colonel M. LaRue Harrison of the First Arkansas Cavalry USA. Most of the casualties occurred on the campus of old Arkansas College, directly across the street."
"This corner was the scene of hot fighting by Confederate troops under Brig. General W.L. Cabell and Federal forces commanded by Colonel M. LaRue Harrison, on April 18, 1863."
"This is the site of the Arkansas College, chartered December Fourteenth 1852. The first college degree conferred in Arkansas was awarded here. The University of Arkansas was the outgrowth of this college. Erected 1935 by Major Brian Pendleton Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists."
"This tablet marks a part of the Butterfield Stage Route from St. Louis to San Francisco, 1857-1860. Erected by Marion Chapter, D.A.R. and Major Bryan Pendleton Chapter, D.A.C."
"Near this spot a flag was presented to the first Confederate company organized in Washington County, Co. E, 2nd Cavalry Reg't, Arkansas Volunteers, Capt. T.J. Kelly, May 1861. Placed by Mildred Lee Chapter, U.D.C., 1926."
One of two plaques on the front of the Old Post Office.
One of two plaques on the front of the Old Post Office. (Editor's note: While stagecoaches were used from as early as 1836 to the 1900s, the Butterfiled Stage Line only existed as a company from 1858 to 1861.)
J. William Fulbright, a Fayetteville son, President of the University of Arkansas, and United States Senator from 1945-1974, planted seeds of peace which grew into the United Nations, the Fulbright Exchange Program, the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, and the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. In the beauty of these gardens, we honor the beauty of his dream... peace among nations and the free exchange of knowledge and ideas across the earth."
1839-1860, site of the Fayetteville Female Seminary, founded by Miss Sophia Sawyer. Tablet placed by Fayetteville P.T.A., 1928.
The Stone House
This house was built in 1845 by Judge David Walker. He sold it in 1850 to Stephen K. Stone, whose family lived here during and after the Civil War. A solid shot from Fagan's Confederate battery on October 3, 1864 pierced the west wall of the house. The Stone House survived the war as did the Rieff house directly across the street and both are still standing in 1965. Stephen K. Stone and his wife, Amanda Brodie Stone, were public-spirited citizens and made handsome donations to such causes as City Hospital, Methodist Church, and the Fayetteville Female Seminary. The Stones' daughter Mary (Mrs. George Albright) was the last graduate of the Seminary in 1860.
"This marker erected 1965 by the Washington County Historical Society."
"1834-1951, This ante-bellum home was built on land granted to Washington County by an act of Congress to build a court house, entitled 'An Act for the Relief of Fayetteville, in the Territory of Arkansas,' and signed June 26, 1834, by President Andrew Jackson.
"At the 'historic auctions' held July 17, 1837, Lots 6 & 7, upon which this building stands, sold to the highest bidder for $36.
"Henry Rieff acquired title in 1857 and built this residence the same year. It was used as a commissary by the Confederate Army in 1862. After the Battle of Fayetteville, April 18, 1863, it was held by Union soldiers.
"Joseph Holcomb bought this property May 27, 1873 and March 22, 1876, sold it to Dr. James W. Jones, who in 1883 deeded it to his brother Theodore F. Jones.
"In 1941 A.D. & Margaret Callison purchased the property.
"This marker placed June 26, 1951, by the Washington County Historical Society on the 117th anniversary of the passage of the act of Congress above referred to."
1847-1865, This was the home of Major William Quesenbury, editor, humorist, cartoonist, artist, musician, poet, quartermaster of Yell's Regiment in MexicanWar, quartermaster under Gen. Albert Pike in war between the states.
"Afterwards the home of Daniel Harvey Hill, teacher, editor, writer, officer in Mexican War, lieutenant-general C.S.A., president Arkansas Industrial University, 1877-1884.
"Tablet placed by former students of Gen. Hill and by Mildred Lee Chapter, U.D.C., 1929."