Wesley church - Madras - oldest methodist church in APAC region.
Fourbeck's Bridge monument - Saidapet
First line beach - Parrys Madras
Mylapore - kapaleeswarar temple
Beach road - Napier bridge
Pycrofts raod - Triplicane - Madras
High court Madras
Theatre - Casino
Kasturi buildings - The Hindu
Head post office
The Mail building - Madras
Gold smiths - Madras
Chepauk palace - beach road
Theatre - New globe - Where is this now ?
1884-Governor Grant-Duff names the promenades that he created (along the beach) 'Marina'. The three and a half kilometre long Marina beach is one of the longest beaches in the world.
Bank of Madras
Inside Chennai Harbour
Egmore railway station
Ambulance service in Madras
Interior of Bank of Madras
Car showroom in Madras
Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar telmple festival
Waiter in Taj Connemara
Market in Madras
Ad released in Hindu
Note issued by Bank of Madras
Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar temple festival
Fort st. George
Royapuram railway station - 1853-The first railway line in the south, linking Chennai to Arcot, is laid. It is opened on July 1, 1856. The Royapuram Station, from which trains chugged out at that time, is the city's first railway station.
Spencer & co - Now - Spencer's plaza
De Angelis hotel - First hotel of Madras - Now- Bata showroom Mt. Road
Bank of Arbuthnot - Today - HSBC in Rajaji Salai
Madras club - Cosmo club - House of Mowbrays
Theospical society - Adayar
Interior of Refreshment stall in Egmore railway station
Egmore railway station - Pillars inside the station
Southern railway head quarters building-1922-The Southern Railway Headquarters building is opened. This grey edifice is one of the city's most impressive examples of Indo-Saracenic architecture.
Old map of Madras
Egmore Railway station
Fort st george - St mary's church
Presidency college-1840-Presidency College begins. This initially started as a preparatory school.Then it became the city's first college.
Rippon building -1913-Ripon building (named after a former Viceroy) is built at a cost of Rs 7,50,000/- by P. Loganatha Mudaliar. This 252-feet long building, in dazzling white is, the headquarters of the Chennai Corporation today.
old map of Madras
Fort st george - St Mary's Church
Tram in Madras
Dare house - Parry & co
Higginbothams - 1844 - Librarian Abel Joshua Higginbotham establishes Higginbothams. This chain of bookshops is not only one of the oldest, but also one of the largest network of bookshops in the country.
Mount road-Mount Road or Anna Salai as it is called today is one of the key arteries of Madras, connecting virtually two ends of the city - Fort St George and St Thomas Mount. It was supposedly built in 1795 by the British for the army to move easily between these two points and old pictures show this stretch as a beautiful avenue lined with trees It starts off as on a little island near Fort St George on the Cooum creek and leads to the highway that takes one directly to the tip of India to Cape Camorin.The statue of Thomas Munro, one of the Governors of the Madras Presidency stands almost at the entrance of the club . During the British period, this was the entertainment hub . Clubs, churches, movie halls, restaurants, icecream parlours and shops were the key landmarks here.
Theatre - Misquith & Co first theatre of Madras
Loyola college -1925 -The most renowned Catholic college in the city - Loyola College, is founded by a Jesuit priest - Rev. Fr Francis Bertram S. J.
Madras Christian college
Victory house-Swadeshi Mithran's office-Mount road
Parthasarathy temple - Car festival
Meat market Madras
St George Cathedral-Built-1815 - This cathedral has a 140 feet high spire. The road on which this cathedral stands is called - The Cathedral Road.
Govt house - Mount road - Now - Omandurar govt estate
George town - Black town
George town - Black town - Madras
Customs house Madras
Ice house - Now - Vivekanandar house
Fort st George -Cornwallis monument
light house old
St Thomas mount - foot hills
St Andrews church Egmore Madras-1821-St Andrew's Kirk, Egmore, is consecrated. The 170-feet spire of this church surmounts a circular nave and a dome that rests on 16 ionic pillars.
Madras - street
Carpenters of Madras
Rice cleaning Madras
Wesley church Madras
Petras coja - Armenian philantherapist monument
Brodies castle - greenways road- Thendral Bunglow now
Boundry of Chennai esplanade
Kalki gardens - Earlier Sladen gardens - Kilpauk -were MS & Kalki Sadasivam lived
Karl Schmidt monument - Besant nagar beach
Central railway station
Madras - Street
St George Cathedral
Madras medical college
Cenotaph mount road
St Thomas mount
Post office Madras
St Thomas Mount Church
Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar temple Tank
notice board in marina beach
Fort st.George - Flag mast
Chepauk palace - Now PWD office - Beach road
Queen Mary's college - 1914 -Capper House at Marina opens its doors to 37 women students to become the first college for women in the city. From 1917 onwards this college has been known as the Queen Mary's College.
Madras Railway company - Capital stock document
Bharat Insurance building - Mount road
Victoria public hall
Commissioner of Police office - Egmore Madras
Senate house - University of Madras-1879-Senate House was opened to University students. Robert Chisholm built this Byzantine-styled structure.
Boundary of Esplanade Madras- Monument present outside
Dare house building - Parry's corner
The Hindu - 1883 issue - When it got converted as TRIWEEKLY
THE HINDU - June 21 -1881 issue
PWD Building - Beach road - Build 1865
Madras Eye Infirmary - Egmore eye hospital
P.Orr & Sons - Mount road-Peter Orr started P. Orr and Sons, which has been the city's traditional timekeeper for decades. This showroom and the three-faced clock tower, built in 1873, are city landmarks even today.
Robert Chisholm- English architect who designed and built many land mark buildings in Madras.
Club house - First house of Madras club ( Express estates) - Club house road - Mount road
Branson bagh - Second house of Madras club - Mount road - Location - Saffire theatre & Khivraj mansion
Capper & Pentland house- Beach road
Garden house- Kilpauk-hadley's garden
Clive house- Ashoka Mithran - Vasan's house
Statue of King
Rajaji Hall Built 1802 -Originally intended to be a Banquet Hall, the architecture of the building shows strong Greek-temple styling.
China Bazaar road - Madras
Great wall of Madras.
Warwick electric theatre - Inside mount road GPO
Gaiety theatre - Oldest exisiting cinema theatre in Chennai - Built 1914
The Hindu building side view
St George school = PH Road
DGP's office - Masonic Mansion
Club house - Club house road- off Mount road
Doveton house - inside WCC.
Cosmopoliton Club -Madras
Portuguese church -George town
First teachers' training college, set up in India in 1856-Saidapet-Charles Todhunter established the first Teacher's Training College in the city. This is one of the oldest teacher's training institutions in Asia.
Triplicane High road - 1905
Gantz & Co - Booksellers - Broadway.
My ladye's garden
Wellesley house - Fort St George.
Gokhale hall - YMIA - Armenian street- Built 1914
Dar -e - Meher (Fire temple) - Parsi temple - Royapuram (built -1906-10).
Spencers corner ( Mount road - madras) - Neil's status - Where is it now ?
Victoria memorial hall - Egmore museum
King George V Statue Madras
Map of Madras 1746
Madras Central Railway station
Madras - View from the jetty
High court - Madras
Teachers training college - Saidapet
Spencers & Co.
Govt house -Guindy.
Govt house & Banquetting hall - Now Omandurar govt estate.
Fort St George
Esplanade - View from Madras harbour
Light house - Inside High court Madras
Ice house ( Vivekanandar house ) - Marina beach
Central Railway station.
Madras club - Moubray's cupola
Building inside fort St.George
View of Madras harbour
View of Fort St George.
Parthasarathy temple - Triplicane
Madras observatory - Nungambakkam.
Anderson Church -Parry's- Madras
Kilpauk water pumping station -Built 1870
Corporation of Madras - Waterworks inaugraul stone.
Portrait of Mr.Madley - Special Engineer -Corporation of Madras - Mastermind behind the organised drinking water supply for Madras.
Armenian Church - Armenia street- Madras
Bell tower inside Armenian Church - madras
Dome of Armenian Church - Madras
Fort St.George - Madras
Kapaleeshwarar temple - Mylapore - Madras
Bentinck building -Madras
Port view - Bentinck building
1878-Buckingham Mills commences operations. In 1920, it was amalgamated with Carnatic Mills. Binny's eventually became the owners.
Madras Veterinary College = 1903 = founded in Periamet by Lt Col. Dobbins. This is the first Veterinary College in the country to get University affiliation and grant degrees.
Luz Church at Mylapore - Built 1516 AD, Madras. It is said that St.Thomas used to pray here while he was preaching at this part. This church is originally built by missionaries from Portugal.
Bharathiyar Illam = Triplicane = House where Bharathiyar lived in Triplicane.
Madras medical college - Started in 1835.
Adyar Banyan tree.
King George statue - Flower bazaar police station -Sowcarpet
Statue inside Ripon Building.
Street in Parry's corner
Chettinadu palace -Madras
Statue of King Edward VI - Opp The Hindu off - near Govt estate - Mount road
St Mary's Church - Fort St George.
Clive building - Fort St.George.
Clive building - Fort St George.
Central railway station - Governer & His wife in Chariot.
Triplicane big mosque
Hotel D Angelies
Ad material of hotel D Angelis
Egmore Railway station & St.Andrews Church
Advertisement of Lawrence & Mayo - City's oldest opticians
Hotel De Angelis - Garden restaurant
The Women's Christian College - Madras
The Year 1994 marks the 200th anniversary of the College of Engineering, Guindy, Madras. Started as a Survey School in 1794, it was established as a College in 1859, and later as a technical University in 1978. The college has a long history and is one of the oldest Engineering Colleges in the country.
NSC Bose road - Parrys
Victoria hall - Madras museum
Banqueting hall ( Rajaji hall )- Government house.
Banqueting hall ( rajaji hall ) - Boat club- Government house
Customs house ( Bentick buildings ).
Gordon woodroff & Co - Rajaji salai.
Central railway station.
Madras port - view from Rajaji salai.
Memorial hall - Built in memory of Sepoy mutiny.
HIGH COURT - MADRAS
Pachiyappas college - ( Now school ) - NSC Bose road - Parrys.
Doveton Protestant college - Founded 1855 ( Now Doveton Corrie School ).
King George V statue - Opp >Island grounds,Near war memorial.
Madras Arsenal ( Palce were arms & ammunition stored ). Inside fort St.George.
Doveton House - Women's Christian college - Estd 1915.
Hotel - D'Angelis -Luggage lable
Advertisement from Madras
GPO - Madras.
The first recorded date of a car being in regular use in Madras is 1901. The car was owned by A J Yorke (as seen in Photograph : Photo courtesy : Bunty - Great gandson of Mr.Yorke), a director of Parry & Co. He drove it daily from Ben’s Gardens, Adyar, to Parry’s in ‘Black Town’.
Street Scene - Madras
Central Railway station
Beach Railway station & General Post office - Rajaji Salai - Madras.
First Line beach road.
Ripon Buildings - Corporation of Madras.
Natve Huts - Madras
MAP OF PALLAVARAM.
TRAM CAR - MADRAS
The Cornwallis Cenotaph, once the centre of Madras Society, now stands facing the port.
Courtesy : www.thehinduimages.com
A panoramic view of the natural and forced drought cooling towers, near Basin Bridge at Madras.
Courtesy : www.hinduimages.com
The building on College Road, Nungambakkam, Madras where the office of the Director of Public Instruction is located since 1932.
A view of Tambaram Santorium hospital.
Armenian street, George Town, Madras, as seen in May 1963.
Saint George's Cathedral on Edward Elliots Raod, Chennai on the 150th Anniversary Celebration on January 6, 1966.
The hostel building of Pachaiyappa's college, at Chetpat as seen from the railway line.
Bird's eye view of old Madras. Ripon building,Victoria hall and part of Moore market.
Esplanade - Madras.
ONCE PART OF THE CITYSCAPE One of the trams which had plied on the Madras streets for long can be seen in the middle of Mount Road.
The King Institute of Preventive medicine - A century old establishment. King Institute is situated on the bank of River Adyar, on a vast expanse of land, amidst plenty of greenery. It was established in 1899 and named after Lt. Col. W.G. King, the then Sanitary Commissioner of Madras Presidency.
The main objectives of the Institute encompass the following areas
Preparation of Vaccines
Bacterial and Viral diagnostics
Academics and Research.
Fort St.George Barracks
Madras Stock Exchange
Suburban electric train from Beach station to Tambaram in 1931.
New Law Courts; Madras